• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Backwood BMP Rear Bumper Install

OnlyPolaris

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada
First off I’m not here to bash anybody. I’m super happy with the quality of the bumper as well as the powder coating. Finally after a little more then 13 months I finally got my Khaos 146. Have had a bumper sitting here for quite a while so went to install is tonight. Problem I’m having is the cutouts for the factory rivets aren’t lining up. Weird thing is that it’s really only on the left side. Right side has one spot but the bumper barely touches the rivet and I don’t think it effects the fitment. Looking at the side pieces they aren’t an exact mirror imagine of each other. Which I kinda thought was weird. So I’m wondering if this is the norm. Or is this a manufacturing error, or is something else going on. Also the last 2 holes on each side are about a hole out from actually lining up with the factory holes in the tunnel. I feel like I could get the holes to line up with a little work. But just wanted to check on what other people are seeing. I promise I’m not an idiot lol. I just want to do some investigating before I drill holes in my 20k snowmobile in the wrong spot. 0866276A-F20F-409D-AFB8-7723952D1AE5.jpeg2D37D6B2-CD9D-4403-BD2F-4DBFCF0F1209.jpeg68098C3D-755B-4686-B55B-93301F838A43.jpeg9BF24BCB-DBF1-4F6B-861C-D46DE5FB4E08.jpeg

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
It is tight fit. I had simailar experenience on my 165 it will go on. I used some clamps to help line things up a little flex in the tunnel and bumper help it align. A couple of rivets in the stock holes should line up, they my be tight. However this helps align things. Once it lines up and you start getting rivets in it will go smooth. The silver rivets are for the back half and the black ones for the front half. I swapped out some for longer ones that I had to help with alignment. I also used some exploding rivets in the front half of the mount they work well. Air riveter or bat. powered one makes short work of the process using a hand one on the silvers is tough. Hope I helped some.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Contact BMP before you drill. For the price, you deserve a fitted production product. You've waited this long. Poo expanded the 146 Khaos Slash models, now with 650, 850 and 9R options, Poo must be hoping to sell a bunch more 146's, and likely competes better with the Lynx in EU. They should/need help you with this.

OnlyPolaris

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada
It is tight fit. I had simailar experenience on my 165 it will go on. I used some clamps to help line things up a little flex in the tunnel and bumper help it align. A couple of rivets in the stock holes should line up, they my be tight. However this helps align things. Once it lines up and you start getting rivets in it will go smooth. The silver rivets are for the back half and the black ones for the front half. I swapped out some for longer ones that I had to help with alignment. I also used some exploding rivets in the front half of the mount they work well. Air riveter or bat. powered one makes short work of the process using a hand one on the silvers is tough. Hope I helped some.

Thanks. Ya I'm pretty sure I could get the holes to line up with a little finesse. Just pushing down on the rear of the tunnel a little gets them into half a hole.

Polaris doesn’t install the piercing rivets in exactly the same place every time. Measure that before complaining to backwoods bmp.

That's what I'm starting to realise. Did some quick measuring last night and am seeing up to 1/4" difference in rivet placement side to side. I may check with Backwoods just to see if they notice any issues with the placement of the cutouts. You never know **** happens. Other wise I'll decide if I want to just leave it as is or get out the die grinder and shave out the cutouts more. Sucks but I guess it is what it is. A guy would think the rivet placement would be exactly the same side to side and the same on each sled.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Thanks. Ya I'm pretty sure I could get the holes to line up with a little finesse. Just pushing down on the rear of the tunnel a little gets them into half a hole.

That's what I'm starting to realise. Did some quick measuring last night and am seeing up to 1/4" difference in rivet placement side to side. I may check with Backwoods just to see if they notice any issues with the placement of the cutouts. You never know **** happens. Other wise I'll decide if I want to just leave it as is or get out the die grinder and shave out the cutouts more. Sucks but I guess it is what it is. A guy would think the rivet placement would be exactly the same side to side and the same on each sled.
The rivets do not get holes pre drilled, a press punch pierces both layers of metal in one cycle.

It’s only as consistent as the humans running the machine.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
This has me wondering which to purchase Backwoods BMP vs. BM Fabrications for a 165 slash. Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
This has me wondering which to purchase Backwoods BMP vs. BM Fabrications for a 165 slash. Opinions?

The BMP needed a little convincing to line everything up, but they are awesome bumpers! Can’t speak of the BM Fab.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
The rear hole on mine lined up the same way, but with a little wiggling you can slide a rivet in. I insert a rivet in every hole before I start air riveting any of them tight just to make sure nothing can move out of alignment.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
after building an airplane, clecos are invaluable Your right on Tony!! We have been putting the Mountain Armour rear bumpers on out last 5 sleds but he is not making bum[ers anymore so guess we will have to go Backwoods or BM on the Boost 165 for next year, start looking now!
gtwitch in wyoming

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
after building an airplane, clecos are invaluable Your right on Tony!! We have been putting the Mountain Armour rear bumpers on out last 5 sleds but he is not making bum[ers anymore so guess we will have to go Backwoods or BM on the Boost 165 for next year, start looking now!
gtwitch in wyoming
Mountain Armor isn't making bumpers anymore? Damn, I have one on my SKS and love it

Premium Features