• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avid Products Carb Heater, APT and PWK

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
R.S,
I am putting one of the billet 38's with the avid setup, and am trying to figure out my intake...i am concerned with going to frozen boost setup, because this will be ridden alot in the summer as well with the smarty on. I am thinking of having a stock boot trimmed for summer and frozen boost setup for winter? looking for ideas here, what you think RS?
-Brock

Good morning Brock. You can remove the stock boot from the box and the frozen boost goes through the hole and into the box. For summer, remove the frozen boost, re-install the OEM boot to carb. The issue is the added length of the carb. The Billet SC is 1/2 inch longer than the PWK. I have a Cycle Playground SC boot arrived today. That "should" allow summer/winter use of the stock box and boot. I will be testing the fitment today and report back.

If it is not the ideal fit, I will default to plan "B", the frozen boost pod for winter and the Cycle Playground boot for summer, or trimmed OEM boot. . "Your plan exactly". I feel that will be the combination. I will post pic's and progress soon.

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I don't like the idea of cutting up these intake boxes too much for snow. Makes the transition to dirt more time-consuming and expensive than it needs to be.

Ya, I hear you Alan. If you ride with an enclosed box, it will fill with snow. Period. Opening up the bottom of the box has been proven to provide a clean box and filter all day. Allen, Brett, and myself tested every mod we could last season. The #1 system on cold dry pow days was a box with no bottom. OEM filter or POD. It becomes a trade off. If you don't mind a plugged box and filter you can run a stock set-up to make avoid the summer transition.

The entire box new from KTM World is $39.95. That is less expensive than just a POD. I personally recommend a summer box and a winter box. No parts to swap. When you are swapping the kit, you are removing the top shock bolt, so at that time you simply loosen the sub frame top bolt, rotate up and slide on your summer box. Takes two minutes and a new summer box only cost's $39.95.

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I'm all in for the thermostat. I've been waiting for a snowbike purposed one for my 2011 YZ450. Hopefully wont have to change the oil every ride due to gas getting in there like last season.
Great work to everyone involved!

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Has anyone tried this carburetor heater thermostat set up on a cr500?

The thermostat I used on a Service KX500AF. Straight through design, no recirc line. The 130f is a good temp for the two strokes. I tried several heat ideas with limited success. This will be the turn-key system for your CR. I recommend the 40MM Billet. The Cast has internal signal ports that will not allow installation of the heat collar. The venturi is the area that ices up. Only a small amount of heat is needed to prevent ice from accumulating in the venturi. The sticky slide, etc are not the source of the problem. Here is a testing pic 3 years ago that shows air/water separation in the venturi due to the rapid pressure drop and air acceleration.

carb ice 5.jpg

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Great news! I received the Cycle Playground modified boot. It did not work with the Smart Carb and heat collar. An OEM boot would be ideal. No changes or modifications. No "Pod" for winter and "Boot" for summer. The Frozen Boost Pod was always the plan "B" that works well.

I threw the Cycle Playground boot in the trash and began measuring and trimming a stock 300 boot. The end result is trimming 1" to 1 1/8 off the OEM boot. The fit is flush and perfect. No wrinkles in the boot and an original fit. This should be the case for most makes and models. Should be very universal.

Now we can simply install our wire "spring cage" and pre-filter as previously posted. If you need pic's, let me know.

P1010003 small.jpg P1010009 small.jpg P1010010 small.jpg P1010007 small.jpg

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Filter Mod for OEM air box and boot. This works extremely well. The foam filter is designed to hold sand and dust. In the snow, it collects moisture and freezes into a foam ice block shutting off your air supply. The snowmobiles do not use a foam filter for this exact reason. This mod stays clean all day and you do not restrict air flow.

122 small.jpg 123 small.jpg 127 small.jpg 135 small.jpg 138 small.jpg 136.jpg

T
Jan 29, 2013
I order this kit last week.Just wondering what the CR500 guys are doing with the dual Waterport on the head, Bring them together for the thermostat and then split Them back off for the radiators? If this worked on the KX500 I would assume it would Flow enough Through the thermostat?Thanks for all the input.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I order this kit last week.Just wondering what the CR500 guys are doing with the dual Waterport on the head, Bring them together for the thermostat and then split Them back off for the radiators? If this worked on the KX500 I would assume it would Flow enough Through the thermostat?Thanks for all the input.

Yes, I am installing on a Service KX500 now. Single in then "Y" after to feed both radiator tops. I would "Y" into the stat then "Y" back to the rad's on the CR500. Just use two 3/4" brass "Y" fittings.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Filter Mod for OEM air box and boot. This works extremely well. The foam filter is designed to hold sand and dust. In the snow, it collects moisture and freezes into a foam ice block shutting off your air supply. The snowmobiles do not use a foam filter for this exact reason. This mod stays clean all day and you do not restrict air flow.

Very nice job , if the snowmobiles would use the combination of pre filter over foam there would be a lot less snow scuffing , it's all about the cost . In the snowmobile industry the air box is all about the decibels nothing to do with the life span of the engine . Reeds emit an extremely high pitch and after markets are even worse .

On a side note the pre filters have to be cleaned more often then thought , they are easily restricted even though they don't look it , more so in areas with high ash content from fires or volcanic activity .

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I looked on the website to order the thermostat but it looks like you can only get it with the carb heater as well. Is there any way to just get the thermostat?

thanks,

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
For the six sided billet one pictured, contact Avid Products and ask for Robbie. That is not a Thermo-Bob stat. That is machined for the Carb Heat system and Avid products will have them available for purchase without the heater.

Call Robbie at 406-253-0979 He will send you the billet housing and stat.

Last edited:
P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Just looked at the pics. That's a real nice setup.

Couple things that came to mind. Have to make sure the line from the carb heater back to the water pump inlet is out of the way of the pipe. On my bike last year I ran a very similar setup and you have to be real careful not to melt that line on the pipe. That would suck. A lot. Mine got toasty a couple times.

Also as your t-stat opens, you will be flowing less hot coolant to the carb. Probably not a big issue. If it was you could run another line with a manual valve on the coolant line to the carb, and separate it from your recirc line.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I'm all in for the thermostat. I've been waiting for a snowbike purposed one for my 2011 YZ450. Hopefully wont have to change the oil every ride due to gas getting in there like last season.

Are you gonna run the 130F on the YZ ? I would run a 185F stat on a 4 stroke. Not sure if the Avid goes that high. Thermobob has a 185 true bypass stat.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007

Yes, I am installing on a Service KX500 now. Single in then "Y" after to feed both radiator tops. I would "Y" into the stat then "Y" back to the rad's on the CR500. Just use two 3/4" brass "Y" fittings.

One thing to remember on the CR is the outlets are 15mm not 19mm(3/4). To make the hose stretch can be a challenge. I used some 19mm KTM stats (which didn't work lol) but had to use a 19mm to 16mm silicone reducers. These do take up space. Just some food for thought.

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
One thing to remember on the CR is the outlets are 15mm not 19mm(3/4). To make the hose stretch can be a challenge. I used some 19mm KTM stats (which didn't work lol) but had to use a 19mm to 16mm silicone reducers. These do take up space. Just some food for thought.

We can make up some 15mm units. The price will be the same. Also, we will have both the low temp and 190 degree stats available.

Just call Avid 406 253 0979.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Avid is a great company... one call owner picks up and changed my order for the 500....

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Just to clarify to those asking, The 130F "two stroke", and the 190F "four stroke" thermostats are both true by-pass thermostats with the re-circulation line, return line coupling, hoses and clamps. All included as a package for both two and four stroke models. These are available separately from the Carb Heat system.

Premium Features