• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avalanche in Mancos Area

J
Mar 31, 2012
Mancos, CO
Snowpack on the north end of the San Juans has been stable with lots of new snow over the last month. No drop in snow level yet, even with the warm days.[/QUOTE]

Well snowpack on the south end of the San Juans has been eradicated. I've had green grass in my yard since the 3rd week of March, and I rode my dirtbike up to around 10,000 feet this weekend and there wasn't a lick of snow up there. I can see from town that there has been some good melting going on in the La Platas, especially after the 4-5 dust storms that we've had this year.

If anyone involved in the search/recovery reads this and you need help/more volunteers, I'm willing to help out. I'm a law enforcement officer, and have been involved in search and rescue efforts before.

T

TheHardWay

Jan 2, 2011
Hesperus, CO
Some helicopter fly over inspections have been conducted. Areas adjacent to the slide have melted off, but the actual chute is still holding considerable snow and debris. Access by sled isn't feasible at this time. An effort to hike in and do some visual surveillance will take place soon. The family is doing as good as can be expected. Thank you for the concern. We will find him ASAP.

T

TheHardWay

Jan 2, 2011
Hesperus, CO
Areas around the slide and the trees have melted off and have been cleared. Efforts are revolving around the immediate chute and drainage. Snow is still 15-20' deep in the actual chute where we presume our buddy is. Summit Co S&R has offered to come in with their dogs when conditions are more favorable for a positive strike. We are shooting for the end of June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JDUB39

Dec 4, 2012
Broomfield, CO
Mr Yates has been recovered...

Via Montezuma County Sheriff's facebook page:

On March 5, 2014 five snowmobilers went into the back country on Shark Tooth Mountain, also known as the head of Bear Creek. An avalanche occurred trapping Robert Yates in the slide. An intensive search was conducted for the next two days but Rob was not found. Due to extreme avalanche conditions and the remote area the search had to be called off.
For the next 3 months search efforts continued. Expert snowmobile riders went to the top of the slide and monitored the snow level. Due to avalanche conditions and snow depth they were not able to get into the slide area. As snow started to subside the snowmobilers were no longer able to get into the area.
The family, most who are avid horseback riders, were able to start up the mountain on horse and get close to the area. They were still unable to do any searching.
On March 26th 2014 the Sheriff along with avalanche expert, Dale Atkins, flew into the area to assess the scene. It was determined the snow was too deep and avalanche danger so bad a search mission was not recommended. The snowmobile that Rob was riding had been dug out of approximately 15 feet of snow on March 6. The Snowmobile was air lifted out of the mountain on the 26th after reconnaissance.
The family and the Sheriff kept in contact almost on a daily basis in an effort to keep plans for future searches alive. Due to the remote area a search team would have to be shuttled in via helicopter. To ride horseback into the area would take a day and was not realistic with 30 or more searchers.
On May 21st the Sheriff contacted the Colorado Search and Rescue Board (CSRB) to request a mission from the State Coordinator. The Sheriff was requesting experienced personal, avalanche dogs and helicopters. If the CSRB could get helicopters and searchers the mission was to begin on May 30th. On May 23rd, the CSRB received information that the military would not be able to provide helicopters for a body recovery. The military does assist with search and rescue but does not do recovery.
On May 25th the family went into the slide area and began looking for Rob. A test hole was dug in the slide and it was still over 15 feet deep. The family agreed it was still too early for an organized search effort. The Sheriff and family knew they may only get one chance, with a large experienced team, so we wanted the best odds for recovery.
On June 5th the Sheriff Contacted Colorado State Representative Don Coram and asked if he could be of assistance in obtaining helicopters for a search mission. Representative Coram immediately started making phone calls to the Governor in an attempt to get helicopters.
Family members road horses into the slide area on June 8th. Rob was located, by the family, still buried in the snow. The Coroner was advised. Deputy Coroner George Deavors had prepared for the body recovery. The Coroner’s Office contacted Care Flight, a medical response helicopter, who agreed to retrieve the body and fly it to Cortez as a public service.
The Sheriff would like to thank the Community for pulling together for one of its own. The Sheriff also thanks the Colorado Avalanche Control Center, Dale Atkins the Avalanche export, Woody Woodward from CSAB, Representative Coram and all of the volunteers who helped search for Rob.
The Sheriff will continue to pray for the family. May Robert Yates Rest in Peace.

T

TheHardWay

Jan 2, 2011
Hesperus, CO
^^^
Yes, our friend was recovered yesterday. I was notified by a couple of buddies early yesterday afternoon as the coroner was being flown in.
I don't have any details yet on where exactly in the slide he was found, how near to sled he was when we recovered it, or how deep.
The important thing here is that the family finally has some closure with the loss of their loved one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
The Montezuma County Sheriff's Office has announced that the body of Rob Yates was recovered on Sunday, June 8. The 47-year-old was lost in an avalanche on March 5.

"I'm extremely relieved," said Sheriff Dennis Spruell.

According to Spruell, family and friends established a base camp in the avalanche zone on Sharkstooth Peak in mid-May, and those private search efforts via horseback have continued nearly every weekend.

"The body was found about 1 p.m. on Sunday," said Spruell.

Yates was part of a five-man group of snowmobilers in the Bear Creek drainage near Sharkstooth Peak when the avalanche occurred. Yates snowmobile and helmet were found, but two official search and rescue efforts by the Montezuma County Sheriff's Office were called off because of adverse weather conditions.

"I wish we could have done more, but Mother Nature didn't want to work with us," Spruell said.

Spruell added the investigation into the accident has been closed, and he hopes the recovery finally provides some closure for both the family and community.

"This has caused a real mental drain on me," Spruell said. "It's been physically impossible to do anything."

Yates and his wife, Tonya, were married in 1991. The couple has a 21-year-old son, Bradey Rey. In a May 19 Facebook post, Bradey Yates posted that he was keeping his fingers crossed as search and rescue efforts for his father resumed.

Reached via telephone on Monday, Tonya Yates said the recovery and subsequent funeral would finally bring some closure.

"Now we have to deal with going through life without him," she said. "That's going to be hard."

Located in the La Plata Mountains north of Mancos, Sharkstooth Peak's elevation is 11,868 feet.

According to Spruell, family members reported snow was still up to 15 feet deep in the avalanche zone on May 25. Family members again searched the slide area on Sunday, and Yates body was found still buried in the snow. The Montezuma County Coroner's Office contacted Care Flight, a medical response helicopter, to retrieve the body and fly it to Cortez as a public service, Spruell said.

Brian Lazar, deputy director of the Colorado Avalanche Information Center, described last winter's avalanche season as worse than average.

"The season was not incredibly unusual, but we did see larger than normal avalanches that were more destructive," he said.

According to Spruell, three Colorado avalanche victims remain missing.

Rodeo tribute

An emotional military tribute to Yates opened the Ute Mountain Roundup Rodeo Saturday. Tears in the crowd were wiped away by a standing ovation.

"My dad had a 'show must go on' attitude," his son Bradey Yates said moments before Saturday's first event. "This rodeo is 84 years old. My dad may be gone, but he would want us to continue. This was his pride and joy."

A former Blackhawk helicopter crew chief, Yates was memorialized at the start of Saturday's rodeo events with full military honors. He is credited with helping to revive the Ute Mountain Roundup Rodeo over the last decade.

"He brought a youthful enthusiasm and drive as rodeo chair," said former rodeo chairman Slim McWilliams. He's not here anymore, but we will never forget him."

Rodeo accountant Chuck Forth, who manned the ticket gate Saturday, said about 40 community volunteers stepped up to help ease the loss of Yates and his leadership.

More than 4,000 tickets were sold on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

"This year was especially hard with the loss of Rob Yates," said Forth. "We had to step in and do a little more work, but everything has been flawless."

Stock contractor Jerry Honeycutt offered the same sentiment during a behind-the-scenes tour of the rodeo. He said the entire Yates family was instrumental to the rodeo.

"The Yates have a passion to make this rodeo better each and every year, and that makes it special for all of us," said Honeycutt.

Officials wore yellow ribbons in honor of Yates on Saturday.

The inaugural Rob Yates Memorial Golf Tournament was held on Thursday. On a lighter note, Forth laughed when asked if cowboys could play golf. He added most had to borrow a set of clubs to play the event.

"The cowboys, well they had golf clubs in their hands," he said, chuckling.

Premium Features