• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

9R VS Boost

P
Nov 29, 2013
Minnesota
Have a 9R 165 3.25 snow checked. Was up in the air when I snow checked between the 9R and boost and mainly went 9R because of allocations. The 9R is and wondering if I shouldn’t back out. I feel like the sled is gunna be ok for what I ride, I’m just having a hard time with paying that much when you can get a boost for not much more. Just curious on other people thoughts who have rode both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Depends on your riding area type and preference.

9R better in trees and tight terrain.
Can really work well for a lighter rider.
Less tiring to ride long days, less fuel consumption.

Boost better in open terrain, higher elevations, deepest days, heavier rider.
The arm stretch will tire you out sooner.
Heavier front end and slower response can be tougher for Spring snow tree sessions.

I’m 230# and keeping my boost.

Brother is 170# and keeping a pair of 9R’s and selling his boost’s

Last edited:
S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
This depends so much on the type of riding you like to do. Technical tree riding the boost will wear you out. If you like to climb open bowls and such you’ll like the boost and if you ride a lot of deep over the hood snow the boost is fun..
In my opinion the 9R is not worth the extra cost it’s barely better then an 850 and that’s if you get a good running one.
You can get a new 850 for thousands less then a boost or 9R the extra cost of the boost seems reasonable to me your getting a lot of extra power and technology not so much with the 9R

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Get the Boost! The 9R is just a rippy 850 for the most part. If you ride deep snow you'll be sad on the 9R. A good rider on a deep day on the Boost will go places in the trees that the 9R just can't make it. Elevation is also a huge factor. Anything over 6000', turbo all the way. Although the 9R in a 146 would be a blast in the Spring. You could always buy both;)

Last edited:

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
If you have not rode a 9r; the low end grunt out of the hole is very impressive on the 9r. Which is why I went from an 850 to the 9r this year.

If you ride a lot of deep pow days, and are a big hill climber; I would turbo. Otherwise I would stick with the 9r. Just my 2 cents of course.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Where do you ride?
What kind of terrain do you ride?
How old are you and your ability?
Anyone else in your group on turbos?

Lot’s to consider. If you are frequently in snow that’s over 1.5-2 fresh, boost. If you are a more athletic person and aggressive rider, boost. They are too close in price for what you get with a 9r. I’m in interior BC and after riding a 9r for the day I could be happy on one with a few mods but a boost just suits majority of my winter a lot better.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
i've had both.
9 is lighter, easier to ride in tight trees. quicker throttle response. signs off much like the 850. don't think it really has much more power than the 850. less tiring

boost is like an 850 down low. turbo is linear and doesn't hit hard. doesn't sign off like the 9, keeps going. this is very noticeable when riding them back to back. definitely more tiring, really noticeable at the end of the day.
uses more fuel.

i had to sell one of them this summer. kept the boost

P
Nov 29, 2013
Minnesota
I have a 21 850 Khaos 165 currently. Slp twins and head, Sled runs awesome.have lots of other stuff done to it as well but that’s mainly the performance mods. Prefer technical tree ridding, creek bottoms and etc. no big climbing but I am also 260 lbs so I feel like I’m a little short on power dragging my fat ass around sometimes. I know it’s hard without knowing all the details and there many variables involved. Just don’t wanna spend 23k wish I would bought a boost and have to sell this sled next yr and loose 3-4k on it and have to order a boost. Mainly ride 8-12k in elevation. Appreciate all the input.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I have a 21 850 Khaos 165 currently. Slp twins and head, Sled runs awesome.have lots of other stuff done to it as well but that’s mainly the performance mods. Prefer technical tree ridding, creek bottoms and etc. no big climbing but I am also 260 lbs so I feel like I’m a little short on power dragging my fat ass around sometimes. I know it’s hard without knowing all the details and there many variables involved. Just don’t wanna spend 23k wish I would bought a boost and have to sell this sled next yr and loose 3-4k on it and have to order a boost. Mainly ride 8-12k in elevation. Appreciate all the input.

That elevation may require boost.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

I would definitely try to get a boost at that elevation and weight.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"

Sound like you may have answered your own question. :)

Keep us posted on what you decide.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
No disrespect to previous posts, we beat the crap out of this topic and there is only one opinion that matters. The forum expert.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
No disrespect to previous posts, we beat the crap out of this topic and there is only one opinion that matters. The forum expert.

In my old age and diminishing skills, I'm going back to a Boost this year. Tired of the young whipper snappers going right by me on a hill when they are lacking in the skills department. I am taking Caleb's word for it that the 24 Boost isn't the laggy boat anchor that my 22 was. I still have my 9R though for when I'm not riding with young guys on turbos. Turbos definitely wear you out more but they also make up for lack of skill.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
In my old age and diminishing skills, I'm going back to a Boost this year. Tired of the young whipper snappers going right by me on a hill when they are lacking in the skills department. I am taking Caleb's word for it that the 24 Boost isn't the laggy boat anchor that my 22 was. I still have my 9R though for when I'm not riding with young guys on turbos. Turbos definitely wear you out more but they also make up for lack of skill.
Do you know where you saw Caleb reviewing the 24 Boost? I would like to see that review.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
Do you know where you saw Caleb reviewing the 24 Boost? I would like to see that review.

I like Caleb, Burandt and the Polaris riders but they are the worst source of information on Polaris products. Has anyone ever seen them have a video about issues or dislikes with Polaris products. I think they’re all good guys but remember they are all paid to like Polaris products. Hard to give objective views when that’s the case.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Have both a turbo and a 9R, the 9R 165 2.75 is a lot less tiring to ride than the turbo.

The turbo shines on the deep days and climbing, the 9R is my choice for exploring and tree riding.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
I like Caleb, Burandt and the Polaris riders but they are the worst source of information on Polaris products. Has anyone ever seen them have a video about issues or dislikes with Polaris products. I think they’re all good guys but remember they are all paid to like Polaris products. Hard to give objective views when that’s the case.

One of the reasons I like Muskoka Freerider. He shows the good, bad and ugly when running them hard in a season. You never will hear Burandt or Adam's showing an engine failing on its first ride or clutch grenade. Matt did show both last season of Doos and Poos.

I sincerely hope a manufacturer doesn't make him their "ambassador ". That way he continues to give us unbiased real world testing and opinions on these new 20k+ sleds.

Premium Features