• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

509 altitude worth the upgrade?

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
So I got a 509 tactical a couple years and just wondering if upgrading to a an altitude 2.0 is worth it. Is the weight savings, fidloc, better venting worth it. I’m a mountain rider

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
If you have to ask, probably not. How much lighter is it? That's about all that is worth changing a helmet for IMO unless there is a problem with the current one.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Once you get a carbon fiber you can ill never buy anything else. The fidloc is awsome. So much easier.

titus_4

Doo It Big
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 27, 2019
Indiana
Yes it is. Like jdog said, once you have a carbon helmet, you won't be able to use another one. It doesn't feel much different in your hand but on your head all day It makes a difference.

Fidloc is money as well. No need to take your gloves off.

My next helmet, those are the first 2 must haves on the list.

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
I think I’m gonna upgrade I just went and tried one on at the dealer. Fidloc is hilariously easy. It does feel lighter and the venting I can’t tell unless I did a few laps around the dealership lol

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Just slap it on and sprint out the door, down the street. They’re always very understanding you need to test airflow.

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
I have both models you are talking about. Im still undecided on the fidlock. Definitely super easy getting it off. Sometimes getting it buckled with gloves can be a bit….well fiddly lol Got to make sure the pull tab doesn’t flop over and get in the way. The carbon fiber weight difference doesn’t seem like much but on your head all day it is noticeable. Not sure I noticed a difference in ventilation. All said worth the $? For me glad I did but its a pretty big chunk of $ so worth it or not is kinda a personal thing.

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
I have both models you are talking about. Im still undecided on the fidlock. Definitely super easy getting it off. Sometimes getting it buckled with gloves can be a bit….well fiddly lol Got to make sure the pull tab doesn’t flop over and get in the way. The carbon fiber weight difference doesn’t seem like much but on your head all day it is noticeable. Not sure I noticed a difference in ventilation. All said worth the $? For me glad I did but its a pretty big chunk of $ so worth it or not is kinda a personal thing.
So I I think mine is the tactical 1.0 I think are you talking the weight difference between the tactical and altitude or the normal altitude vs carbon. Also would you rather have fidloc over d rings?

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
Have tactical non carbon and an altitude carbon.

I don’t view the fidlock as a game changer for me. If Im buying another helmet and its not an option it wouldn’t keep me from buying it. If the helmet Im looking at has an option for either Id probably get it. Carbon fiber though is a requirement for me.

next helmet I may look at the CKX mostly because I spend most of my time not riding and heaving on my sled trying to get unstuck and the drop down mouth guard seems like may be cool

Cornfusion

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2017
Western Pa
60% of the time, fidlock works every time!

Im running Altitude 2.0 carbon with fidlock. The weight difference is worth the cost difference to me. I personally didn't like fidlock at first, but now im glad I have it.

ECHO quick releases work well with d ring straps if you end up without fidlock.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
Have tactical non carbon and an altitude carbon.

I don’t view the fidlock as a game changer for me. If Im buying another helmet and its not an option it wouldn’t keep me from buying it. If the helmet Im looking at has an option for either Id probably get it. Carbon fiber though is a requirement for me.

next helmet I may look at the CKX mostly because I spend most of my time not riding and heaving on my sled trying to get unstuck and the drop down mouth guard seems like may be cool
I do know they are heavier though. 1350g vs 1150g. Watch Jason mcmurrays video on his carbon 509. He said he had a ckx one year and hated it since the venting was bad and was fogging up. Just something to consider

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
I hate that damn fidlock, but else yeah great helmet. I was riding in -10 and had multiple layers under my chin and couldn't get the damn thing to lock. Usually once I get tired it becomes a pain. Would I upgrade just to upgrade? Probably not but if you need to replace your helmet it's worth considering. Personally I usually hit the helmet on something in first couple years of ownership that causes me to question the integrity of the helmet then I upgrade. It's light and comfortable that's for sure.

Premium Features