• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

23 850 p-85 NA

A@ron

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2017
Wisconsin
My intention is not to start another thread pissing and moaning about Polaris. I just figured I’d share my findings today when I was re-shimming some clutches.
While torquing the spider after re-assembly I ended up stripping the spider. Below are some pictures of the spider/threads. Just heads up to anyone who might take their new P-85 apart.

72557780127__26629075-7ADC-49D5-8FD3-69BD0DE5E7D5.jpeg IMG_4208.jpeg

A@ron

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2017
Wisconsin
I re-shimmed a clutch off of my 800 just before this one. Same technique/torque for both. I noticed when loosening the spider off of the 23 it took about half of the 💪🏻 as the 16 800 clutch.

D
My intention is not to start another thread pissing and moaning about Polaris. I just figured I’d share my findings today when I was re-shimming some clutches.
While torquing the spider after re-assembly I ended up stripping the spider. Below are some pictures of the spider/threads. Just heads up to anyone who might take their new P-85 apart.
That is an odd situation. We remove P-85 spiders almost every day and glad to say we have never seen one with bad threads. We heat the lock nut and the shaft to +/- 275* and use a 3/4 drive breaker bar with a 5' pipe. Going back together we clean the threads on the shaft with a wire wheel to remove any old Loctite. Then we use a small wire brush to clean the treads on the spider. I like to screw the spider on by hand just to make sure its smooth all the way down. Then torque them back to 290 ft lbs with green Loctite.

A@ron

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2017
Wisconsin
That is an odd situation. We remove P-85 spiders almost every day and glad to say we have never seen one with bad threads. We heat the lock nut and the shaft to +/- 275* and use a 3/4 drive breaker bar with a 5' pipe. Going back together we clean the threads on the shaft with a wire wheel to remove any old Loctite. Then we use a small wire brush to clean the treads on the spider. I like to screw the spider on by hand just to make sure its smooth all the way down. Then torque them back to 290 ft lbs with green Loctite.

That’s pretty much exactly how I do it as-well.
Like I said though, it loosened so easily. I could have broke it free with heat and 3/8” ratchet.

Premium Features