• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

##2021 Season Low snow mod update-video##Another (better?) no weld solution for tunnel shortening.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
The x3 and doo track do run hotter on the trails, they chuch snow balls not fluffy snow.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
I’ve tried everything short of drilling holes on the top of my tunnel to make the MTNTK 5’ work, and it’s just too hot. I have the same issue. If the track isn’t breaking and throwing snow it spikes in temp. Rolling or coasting speeds will cause it to jump from 95-140 in 30 seconds. I have to try and blip and break if going down long descents. Going up hill is fine. This is with a short flap and scratchers. I think a lot of the issue is the center location of the cooler. It doesn’t catch snow like the coolers in the corners. The fins are great, but just don’t get enough snow on them.

I will hopefully be welding mine this week, and throwing a 3’ cooler on for additional cooling. I’ll convert this into the 146” spring time jumping/jibbing sled. So don’t want to have to worry about cooling issues in it. It’s a 155” with 7-8” cut now. With the warm temperatures and rain we just got here in Idaho I might be needing a spring sled sooner than latter!

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
b-litt, are running the stock track ? I find that if you have no center cut holes in the track, the scratcher thrown snow does not make it up into the center of ther tunnel obviously.
I'm running a Doo 154" center cooler in a 163 cut tunnel, (Stock cooler is not hooked up) with a 3" Cat track, no flap, with scratchers. After a few frozen trail rides with high temps, I drilled center holes and it made a big difference for me, and will be drilling a second row as well.
Also, with your plumbing to the 5' cooler, are you using the stock hoses ? No fittings or plastic elbows ? As I had an issue running a 90 deg fitting on the outlet side of the cooler, which was restricitng flow. The inside edge on the fitting was 90 deg and not a sweeping curve causing a choking point.

Last edited:

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I went a different route on shortening the tunnel/ cooler— also using MTNTK products. I liked it so much, I became a dealer for them.

I installed their five foot cooler and plumbed it in, omitting the stock cooler completely.

First I tested it without cutting the tunnel at all— to confirm cooling capability. After running the whooped out trail with no snow flap and only hitting 131 degrees, and then running between 88-93 degrees in deep snow, I took the plunge and made the cut (7”)last night.

Shortened tunnel ride today.
I really like how the center cooler keeps the center of the tunnel free of snow/ice buildup

⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇2020-21 Season update/ modification for low snow conditions ⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇

Tags: Tunnel cut, Tunnel shortening, MTNTK kit, Tunnel chop, No tunnel weld solution

10/28/2021– Early season, low snow, high moisture content snow, same trail..... My 2020 850 with MTNTK 5' cooler and top holes, Camo X2.7 track 95 degrees, My buddy all stock 2018 800 Axys 163" 113 degrees.

On my sled, the holes contributed to significantly lower temps. The ability of the 5' cooler to radiate heat out the top and being able to pile snow directly on cooler was key for me controlling temps. I also have throttle control like an epileptic, constantly blipping the throttle (throwing snow on cooler), then coasting-- I'm never constant throttle.

8D7D6D33-A2B3-41BB-8D82-414372122D53.jpeg 2E460277-E636-4D04-804C-96C894B7F3ED.jpeg

Last edited:

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I picked up some ice storm scratchers this year to try out. I may even try running a second set of scratchers if its still not enough

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

kmg

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2012
Hmm this looks like the way to go when you don't have a welder around.. so are the bad experiences on certain tracks? I read through the entire thread, maybe not having center ports in the track is a problem? I'm just running a stock 2.6 163. I have no problem running a flap, just getting rid of 8" of tunnel would be awesome

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Hmm this looks like the way to go when you don't have a welder around.. so are the bad experiences on certain tracks? I read through the entire thread, maybe not having center ports in the track is a problem? I'm just running a stock 2.6 163. I have no problem running a flap, just getting rid of 8" of tunnel would be awesome
I have an x3 with center ports, it gets warmer than it did with the 2.6 for sure.

kmg

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2012
I have an x3 with center ports, it gets warmer than it did with the 2.6 for sure.

Yea I agree with that I'm just wondering why some are having issues keeping it below 150+ on the trail while others stay right at optimum temp. Some one mentioned center track ports making a difference and I was just wondering if that was the common denominator as it seems it's hot or perfect, nothing in between.

I don't know what I should do at this point

J
Nov 25, 2019
My sled( 17 axys 163 ) runs the same temps with the x3 as the stock 3” track, which is hotter than all my friends who run the 2.6 tracks.

Depending on trail/snow conditions I don’t run scratchers and temps will run in the low 50’s ( Celsius ) but during crappy conditions it will climb into the high 70’s - mid 80’s even with scratchers down.

kmg

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2012
My sled( 17 axys 163 ) runs the same temps with the x3 as the stock 3” track, which is hotter than all my friends who run the 2.6 tracks.

Depending on trail/snow conditions I don’t run scratchers and temps will run in the low 50’s ( Celsius ) but during crappy conditions it will climb into the high 70’s - mid 80’s even with scratchers down.

That's with this MTNtk 5ft cooler?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
No, stock tunnel.
Just voicing my experience with the 3” track.
Thanks for clarifying non applicable information.

The mtntk cooler being only in the center of the tunnel really is what’s being talked about in this whole thread.

Reduce ice on running boards.
Cools better center ported.
Scratchers are less effective.
Etc.

J
Nov 25, 2019
Thanks for clarifying non applicable information.

The mtntk cooler being only in the center of the tunnel really is what’s being talked about in this whole thread.

Reduce ice on running boards.
Cools better center ported.
Scratchers are less effective.
Etc.
KMG said…..Hmm this looks like the way to go when you don't have a welder around.. so are the bad experiences on certain tracks?

So I voiced my experience with the factory 3” and x3 track.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
KMG said…..Hmm this looks like the way to go when you don't have a welder around.. so are the bad experiences on certain tracks?

So I voiced my experience with the factory 3” and x3 track.
But you have the stock tunnel and cooling system (uncut)

Not with mtntk cooler?

Unless I misunderstood?

The mtntk cooler (only) in the middle has different exposure to snow spray than the stock coolers.

Scratchers seem to help less.

Center port does cool better.

Hence my comment on “not applicable”

J
Nov 25, 2019
Your correct that my info doesn’t pertain to the mtntk cooler, but I also wasn’t responding to a question about the cooler. I was responding to a question about tracks.
Maybe the info I offered was completely useless and if that’s the case then you could have ignored it, instead you decided to post your opinion and take away from someone trying to be part of the conversation.

Personally I think that the mtntk tunnel kit is poorly designed and the 3d printed parts restrict coolant flow.

Tunnel will be cut soon, cr racing kit is in the mail. Snow flap was deleted 2 seasons ago and I haven’t noticed an increase in temps since.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Your correct that my info doesn’t pertain to the mtntk cooler, but I also wasn’t responding to a question about the cooler. I was responding to a question about tracks.
Maybe the info I offered was completely useless and if that’s the case then you could have ignored it, instead you decided to post your opinion and take away from someone trying to be part of the conversation.

Personally I think that the mtntk tunnel kit is poorly designed and the 3d printed parts restrict coolant flow.

Tunnel will be cut soon, cr racing kit is in the mail. Snow flap was deleted 2 seasons ago and I haven’t noticed an increase in temps since.
Or i was just clarifying so nobody got confused.

This thread was created regarding the mtntk 5’ cooler in the center only.

(Not the mtntk glue in tunnel cut kit)

Not taking anything away.

Just trying to keep it on track.

Last edited:

kmg

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2012

This whole thread pertains to the cooler my question is in the thread. Sorry I didn't clarify, my question was only intended for people running this cooler.

Premium Features