• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2021-2022 Black Hills

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
amen to that only one trip to the hills this year and it was so, so. Going to try snowies one more time weekend of march 12th and then its fogging season again.

A
Sep 10, 2012
The youngest (16years old) and I plan on going out one more time March 12th. We’ll make reservations on the way out depending on conditions. I’m still thinking there’s hope for a dump.

Ordered my wife a new 2023 Backcountry, hopefully we can get more miles next year in the Hills. Might make a trip farther west again in ‘23.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD
Not looking good at Trailshead, quite the muddy mess. There is a chance of snow this weekend, here's hoping it dumps!!

trailshead.jpg

Dec 17, 2013
Any boots on the ground reports? Curious how big of a hit the trails took this week. Trailshead lot is white again, but not the major dump they need. Snow in forecast Tues/ Wed and temps stay cold. Last prayer for a potential Spring Break ride with the kid. Come on!!!!

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I would guess we lost a third to half our snow last week. Snow is hard and crunchy. We got an inch today. It will take at least 8 inches to make it half way enjoyable to ride. Chances of snow midweek with cool temps through next weekend. I had 4 inches of snow when I left Hot Springs this morning with 3-7 predicted for the rest of the day. Custer had a decent shot of snow this morning.

U
Dec 12, 2007
Custer, SD
We got several inches of new snow in Custer this week, but nothing to the north. I trailered up to Deerfield and out W. Deerfield Rd to where it meets the west end of Trail 8. Snow was not good. Trails were extremely thin with lots of bare spots and rocks. Off trail was also very thin-maybe a foot in places and rock hard. I won't be riding again until they get a major shot of snow.

A
Sep 10, 2012
We’ll, I’m out with my wife to pick up the sleds, but I’m thinking we might just hang in Deadwood. Not really happy, but I’m praying for next year.

About this time last year I asked for directions or coordinates for Ice Cave and thanks to everyone’s help we found it. Thank you! This year I’d like to find Carbonate if anyone has directions or advise.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
We’ll, I’m out with my wife to pick up the sleds, but I’m thinking we might just hang in Deadwood. Not really happy, but I’m praying for next year.

About this time last year I asked for directions or coordinates for Ice Cave and thanks to everyone’s help we found it. Thank you! This year I’d like to find Carbonate if anyone has directions or advise.

Glad you were able to find ice cave. I cannot help you on Carbonate.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001

What is carbonate?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I entered the gps coordinates from the wikipedia article onto my Avenza maps and it shows a location 3 miles east and 4.5 miles north of Savoy. The forest service map shows no open roads to the location.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I entered the gps coordinates from the wikipedia article onto my Avenza maps and it shows a location 3 miles east and 4.5 miles north of Savoy. The forest service map shows no open roads to the location.
You have to hike the last 2 miles in. No motor vehicles.

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD
Looks like a bunch of snow headed to the Hills in the next week, what are the rules about riding this time of year?

A
Sep 10, 2012
I believe you can ride National Forest, make sure to stay off of private ground. Trails closed as of 15 March and leases with private owners are not in effect.

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD
I believe you can ride National Forest, make sure to stay off of private ground. Trails closed as of 15 March and leases with private owners are not in effect.

Are Avenza maps the best way to tell what is private?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
The trail routes that cross private property are off limits since the contracts expire April 1st. The portion of trails on the Mickelson trail are closed to snowmobiles April 1st. Forest service lands, roads and trails normally open to snowmobiles are open as long as there is adequate snow cover.

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD
The trail routes that cross private property are off limits since the contracts expire April 1st. The portion of trails on the Mickelson trail are closed to snowmobiles April 1st. Forest service lands, roads and trails normally open to snowmobiles are open as long as there is adequate snow cover.
Thanks Duane, what’s the best way to determine what is private property?

Premium Features