• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 Alpha One Limiter Strap

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
I am in the process of swapping out my 154" to 165" track and rail, I also swapped my 2020 Fox QS3 Coil Over Shocks for 2019 Fox Float QS3.
While trying to re-install the FTS (Front track shock) Fox Float QS3 shock, the shock will not attach ...do to the limiter strap being crazy tight/taut, the QS3 Coil Over came right off the mounts with ease & with a looser limiter strap, so i released the air in the fox float QS3 shock and removed the limiter strap, attached the shock to the mounts and finally got the limiter strap back on and it is crazy tight with out any air in the shock, the limiter strap is on the loosest setting (while doubled) all part numbers match from 2019-2020-2021 for limiter straps, front arms, shocks for both 154" rails and 165" rails.
Should my strap be that tight?
Any thought or input on this would be much appreciatedthumbnail_IMG_2548.jpg

Last edited:

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I believe normal. I had to release the air in my front track shock on my 19 154 when I put the shock back on after a revalve.

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
I believe normal. I had to release the air in my front track shock on my 19 154 when I put the shock back on after a revalve.

sweet thanks buddy ....perhaps the eye to eye measurement on the coil over is slightly shorter ?!?

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Silly question .... What the change? I have heard that the coilovers ( from the hardcore) is a better overall shock .. Maybe the 2019 shock is better that the 2020 QS3 Air/??

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
Silly question ... What the change? I have heard that the coil overs ( from the hardcore) is a better overall shock .. Maybe the 2019 shock is better that the 2020 QS3 Air/??

I think the coil over QS3 is a better shock, if you put the time into them...more on that in a bit.
I had a 2019 Alpha One with fox float QS3's and found they ride better for me.
so there are pros and cons to each, coil overs QS3 are simple yet constant shock, unlike fox float QS3 shock, the coil overs are heavier, shipping weight on the floats were 16 lbs, compared to the coil overs 24 lbs. the fox floats adjust easier. it all depends on your riding style
The stock coil overs on my 2020 came way too soft for my weight and riding style and require heavier springs and re-valving, so I found an Alpha One owner that wanted Coil Overs he prefers them over fox floats, so we swapped. i add air and go.
The QS3 coil overs were valved & sprung too soft causing rail failure from bottoming out & cracking the rail, Cat has since addressed that for 2021.
so all depends on personal preference.

Premium Features