• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 Patriot overheating

D
Dec 7, 2010
Hey guys, trying to help my uncle diagnose a heating issue.

2019 pro 850, 155 with Ice age 165 rails, (so short tunnel)

He rode this thing 1 time last year after he bought it. Snow conditions were not ideal, Hard, and not much of it. Riding down the trail he got warm. Scratchers down and all. We don't ride long on trails but its a must where we ride. Off in on the sides we had 8" or so of good cooling snow, so no issues there. My thoughts are his sled is fine mechanical wise but need to figure out how to keep it cool when on trails. He has an appointment to have it looked at, and they are saying it may have a bad impeller. I can't find anything on bad impellers. sounds to me like they are trying to get time out of him. what are your thoughts? If it is the impeller, should he install an aftermarket?

Thanks for the help

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Just dip into the real snow and or tip it on its side and saw it in. (This can drop 20-30 degrees quickly)

Otherwise you need to ride like an epileptic squirrel blipping the throttle and bouncing off the sides of the trail. (This works great)

Another tip is with the sled on its side take the scratcher down and bend it further down so it puts more pressure on the snow.

OTTP scratchers throw the most snow if you want to throw money at anything.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
Otherwise you need to ride like an epileptic squirrel blipping the throttle and bouncing off the sides of the trail. (This works great)

? this is what works for me, plus it's fun!

I find riding too gingerly, thinking that will keep temps down, is counter productive. You have to spin that track to get the snow up onto the coolers, especially when dipping into the sides. Scratchers on hard pack need speed, and throttle blips, otherwise you're not doing much more than lubing the sliders.

If your uncle only has one ride on it, I wouldn't jump straight to the impeller. I'd first try it again. If he can get into some good snow and it holds temps down, then you know the impeller's doing it's job.

D
Dec 7, 2010
I agree with all of you. He's coming from 2000 RMK's so things are a bit different now. Been 10-15 years since he's last rode. I can't remember if he's running a snow flap. will check on that.

S

Sledhead 850

Jan 26, 2019
Rawlins wyoming
Not impeller they run warm on trails especially with short tunnel there not made for that. Got to do more dipping off trail, blipping throttle. If you continue with a lot of trail going to need additional aftermarket tunnel cooler. There mountain sleds made for deep pow!!!!!

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
OP - Test the cooling system by just chainsawing the track. Dive in the soft snow off trail, pull up on one ski far enough to spin the track but not move forward, blip for 10 seconds, spinning track and tossing snow on the coolers, without launching forward. Drop the track in the snow and take off. Temp should drop 20-40 degrees within 200 yards. If it does, it just needs more snow, nothing wrong with the OEM cooling system. Just how these sleds are optimized for deep snow riding. Two sets of scratchers help on trail, too.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I have basically the same set-up, 2020 850 155 with 165 Ice Age rails and 165 Pol 2.7 track. Mine does the same thing. My snowflap kept getting sucked up by the track. I trimmed it to eliminate that problem.
I thought about another tunnel cooler, scrapped that idea. I even bought a new coolant bottle thinking the t-stat may be bad, but after looking at the job, the new bottle is still sitting on the shelf.
I did try and bleed the system just incase there was air in it. So I am in a just wait and see pattern. So far, the sled has run nice and cool this year. although, our snow has been decent (once it arrived)

C
Nov 29, 2008
Assuming cooling system is working properly you can always take an onion bag stuffed with snow and Bungie it on top of the tunnel for the trail portion to help . .. good scratchers help too - brp double spring ones work really well ....bolt with a wing nut through the skis can help too ....
Dip off trail as needed and tip sled on its side and auger some snow up into the tunnel ....

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
The factory scratchers are junk, no down pressure. Try a set of Sta-Cool scratchers, they have an extra coil and exert much more down pressure, this will help you out a bit but I've found you need some loose snow conditions in order to keep the 850's temp under control.

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
Ya my 2020 155 runs hot and is hard for me to keep cool. My buddies say I’m not going fast enough and need to blip the throttle more. Thing is I also have a 2019 800 163 and I never have a problem keeping it cool. So what I’m going to do it put those OTTP scratchers on and if I have to I’ll put a set on the skis too. It’s probably my riding a little bit but this sucker gets hot ?. Honestly it’s annoying at this point because the snow was actually decent, not like I was on ice. Lord help me then if that happens…

W
Dec 25, 2008
I have a 2020 Khaos 850. 155 tunnel with 165 ice age rails. I run very hot on the trail. I installed the long version of the kimpex scratches and it helped, but still jot right. I watched closely and saw that the cloud from the long cable style scratcher is too far away from the skid. I plan to replace the with the shorter version and see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Premium Features