• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018/19 Big Horns N/S Snow Conditions

S
Dec 30, 2007
SD
From the website...

''DON’T MISS OWNING IT BEFORE ANOTHER SEASON BEGINS! After 26+ years of owning and operating Bear Lodge, Rick & Roberta have decided to sell and let someone else experience the opportunity. ''

W
Jan 24, 2020
Bear Lodge website has been down for a while. Not sure when it will be back up if at all.

We have a trip planned there soon. Might call and make sure they haven't locked the doors...
[/QUOt
We ate lunch up there on Wednesday. So they are still open but I did see a flyer inside that says it is for sale so it will be interesting to see what happens

jonsonfire81

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2009
Iowa
Looking for a ride report for the Burgess Junction area, anyone been up there lately? Headed up Friday the 14th for 3 days. It’s been 4 years since I’ve been to the Northern Bighorns.

R
Feb 26, 2009
Alexandria, MN
Also looking for any report on snow/avy conditions. Ive seen some pictures and looks like they have gotten alot of snow in the last week or so. Be heading that way on Saturday for a 5 day trip.

S
Jan 21, 2014
Minnesota
Was up feb 1 to feb 7 at bear lodge. Snow ok when got there nothing great but we got 6" on 2nd day and then a foot 2days later and that really improved conditions. I believe it's been snowing almost every day since we left. Should be awesome up there if weather reports are accurate

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
We rode there 2/6-2/9. About 17" additional snow while we were there. Armpit deep most of the time when we got stuck. Bluebird day Sunday when we had to leave of course.

I would guess avalanche conditions are still elevated. They went a while with not much snow, then received 2 decent dumps. We saw a few natural slides, but stayed away from those areas. Pushed a lot of snow when going down hills.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Is anyone doing sled rentals near Burgess still? Heard that the place we used to get them was maybe gonna close but not sure.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

H

HiBoy15

Feb 20, 2015
Any updates on the Northern Big Horns? Thinking about going out March 15-18.
Just got back from Bear lodge - Rode Monday Feb. 24 - Fri. Feb. 28. Excellent riding across the mountain with bumper deep powder found in trees/ravines in the right places if willing to dive or sidehill in. You will likely need to search a little harder now than we did as I am sure the weekend riders and warmth scratched up the easy to find cuts, but given the large area, you should have no problem finding good riding if willing to get off the beaten path. Definitely lots of stuck possibilities in about any direction. We spent a lot of time digging and pulling!

Dusk meadow.jpg onthehill.jpg stuck.jpg Stuckhill.jpg

Premium Features