• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 Mountain Cat Suspension Service

B
Mar 8, 2013
Benicia, CA
I've got a 2017 Mountain Cat 153" with the stock Fox Float 3 Evol Suspension. Sled has about 2000 miles. I bought it a couple years ago from the original owner with about 1300 miles. I don't think the suspension has ever been serviced. I called a few shops and they said it's due for a rebuild. I'm wondering if while I'm getting it rebuilt, I should also get it revalved. I don't have any specific complaints with it as-is, but I'm wondering if it could be made even better by revalving. I weigh about 190 in regular clothes and ride some trails to get back into the backcountry, but prefer to ride off trail. I ride in California, so we tend to have "spring conditions" and the trails to get backcountry can get pretty whooped out. I ride fairly aggressive but don't do any big jumping. My main priority is to be able to ride hills and trees without getting stuck.

I'm looking for feedback from people who have had this year sled and whether they've done any suspension revalving. Did you have any specific complaints and were you able to improve it by revalving? I read that some people complained about the '16 and '18 valving, but haven't seen much on the 2017.

flatspeed

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
Sicamous, BC
Before you re-valve, you need to know what you're looking for, or there's no value in revalving - ie. Either it's not compliant enough, or it blows through it's travel too quickly.
I weigh 160 (regular clothes) and have the exact same sled as you, I find the stock valving to be pretty spot on for my weight, possibly a *little* on the stiff side up front, but not enough to go inside and re-valve.
For comparison's sake, my old M7 was way too stiff from the factory, and the sled was absolute garbage to ride, especially through the whoops, until I revalved them. If you feel they aren't compliant enough, you could get your rebuilder to put some lower weight shock oil in during the rebuild, and the air sleeve service will also help with the friction (sticktion?) a bit. And vice-versa with heavier weight oil. I would have them serviced before you re-valve, then at least you have fresh shocks for a good baseline.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Every component in the suspension, front and rear needs rebuilding at 2000 miles, every bushing is worn or shot, the shocks will need wear parts replaced as well

Premium Features