• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Summit X rattling - from chaincase? (with video)

D
Mar 5, 2023
BC, Canada
Hi guys,
I have a 2015 skidoo summit X 174 and been riding it a fair few days this season with no issues.

Today I loaded it up on the truck not noticing any noises then when I unloaded it on the trail and started it up I noticed a metallic rattling. It happens when it is idling so the sled does not need to be moving but more noticeable when it has a few more revs maybe 2000 + RPM.

Here is a vid of the sound:

It is the metallic rattling sound you can hear behind the engine revving, it can be pretty loud sometimes and definitely sounds like something is up. It is also pretty intermittent too, so it may stop for a while then suddenly come back, like in the video mid way after about 22 seconds it suddenly stops.

It appears to be coming from the right side, or at least is more obvious from the right side when panels are open. I checked to see anything obviously loose in the engine bay but do not see anything. I tightened the chain tension a little as I thought it sounds a bit like the chain rattling around but that made no difference.

Any ideas what it could be? Does the chain move in the chain case when the sled is still and the engine is turning over? As if not I think we can rule out the chain case maybe?? could it just be something rattling around in there thats no big deal?

I think this is the correct sub forum for this year and model sled so let me know if not! Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
Dan

800Gader

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2005
Wisconsin
I have the same sled, and same can. Mine was making similar sound, that was from a piece that broke loose inside can.

Premium Features