• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015/16 Snowy Range snow conditions

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Dan thanks for the S&R info and funding background -

For those now in the market for a SPOT or similar device, I would suggest looking into a Delorme InReach SE. I have had one for a couple of seasons now and I really like it.

It allows me to send out an unlimited number of 3 preset messages (I can enter whatever I want for the messages) to a pre-defined list of phone numbers and emails. I can also send out free form text messages from the hill and receive text messages back on the hill. I have used a SPOT device in the past, but I like the Delorme much better since I can establish a two way text conversation in an emergency.

In our riding group a couple of guys have satellite phones, I have the Delorme, and we have a couple of SPOTs. In my opinion I would rate them in that order.

Last edited:
Thank you for your post and the information. Does your SAR ever fund raise locally or do you solely rely on government money? Many of the small towns where I live have a volunteer fire departments. Many of them run pull tabs boxes or have street dances to raise money in addition to the local government funding. If there is a ray of hope in a tragedy, this may be it. How can we raise money to support the SAR at a localized riding area? Area specific SAR donations? I would donate way more than $2 for all you did to help that family! We do take riding for granted. Thank you.

I can't speak for all the groups int he state, some are funded through their county, others are not. Ours is not funded through the county, though the County Sheriff has been very supportive and purchased us a snowmobile to use. The Sheriff's Office also has purchased a lot of high angel rescue gear that we use.

As for fund raising, we approach many business and individuals each year from around the community. Others like the Old Corral in Centennial have chosen to donate through their Thankful Thursday program. We also accept donations on our website and donation boxes at several gas stations like the Fly Store.

Don't take this as begging for money from everyone, I just want people to understand where the money goes that they think they are donating to the SAR groups.

learn from the experience

Although this was a terrible incident, I would hope that maybe some details may be provided about the turn of events. This would be beneficial for other riders to learn from. We've all had misfortune in our lives, but we try to learn from the experience to prevent it from occurring again. Just a thought. Thanks again to all the volunteers who risk so much to help others.

We rode out of Green Rock parking that Saturday, From Centennial early in the morning it looked as if it was perfect conditions, blue bird skies. It was decent conditions when we got there to start riding around 11:00am after the rest of our group arrived. The road was packed with trucks and trailers. Visibility was probably 250-350 feet (overcast with some wind)when we started maybe more, everyone was excited to go ride after driving 15-16 hours from WI. We took the trail up and found a some places to play in for about an hour. After about one and a half to two hours visibility was getting less and less. We had two people that havn't ridden in any mountains, just Michigan U.P. Luckily everyone kept calm. After two hours viz was down to honestly 10-30 feet, I had a pretty much blaze orange coat and the guys said they could barely see me while following me. You could not see any peaks, to get a location of where you are at. Even the sun was hard to keep track of, we used the wind at our backs to get back onto the trail, and stopped every so often to check a compass just to make sure. We figured we could've crossed the trail/road without even knowing it. Existing tracks would get covered quickly. Too top it off all of our goggles iced up, brands didn't matter. Eyelids freezing together. A small detail to worry about yourself after hearing about what happened over this weekend on the mountain. We eventually got back to a place we found familiar, a small wind protected area where a tree branch caught my a-arm and tossed me over the bars, the wind let up for a bit and briefly exposed the trail markers. From there we got back on the trail and made it back to the parking area, we passed several people dealing the the same goggle icing problem as us (it seemed no other riders had them on while riding on the trail.) The day was over for us, the parking area was less than half full once we got back to our trailer. After this weekend after reading stories about (mountain) climbers not being able to find there way back to camp I now fully understand how it can happen in whiteout conditions. If you got to a fun play area far off the trail I could see how it would be near impossible to get back after the wind started. A few of us will be purchasing Spot GPS or similar before the next trip.

Sunday and Monday were great riding days though. Powder over the handlebars!

Any experienced backcountry rider everyone knows you hope for the best and plan for the worst. I've traveled in nearly every hidden corner of Wyoming, wether it be on foot, bike, or sled. I have seen the weather change in an instant and all of the sudden the landscape looks completely different. 95% of the time it is just 3 of us riding and we all know how easy it can be to get separated, especially in the middle of a stand of snow covered trees, where you can't even hear someone 50yds away. We all cary GPS with the track function on and BCA radios. There were two guys riding the Madres who also spent the night outdoors on Tuesday as they ran out of gas.

This sad incident sounds like a classic case of people riding beyond their own physical capabilities and of their machines.

Circumstances change after spending one night on the mts. Each day and night would get harder not only physically but mentally as well. It's a sad event for a family that enjoyed the sport we all love. I've been in a whiteout in the snowy range more than once everything looks the same.

Where is the best snow in your opinion

Leaving this next Wednesday morning. Not really sure where to go? Snotel shows the snowies having the most snow but I heard of some marginal reports. Any suggestions, anyone??

This was last weekend on the west side. Around 9500 ft. (Ryans Park area). I would say west and north are your best bet. Hardly what I would call "marginal" lol!

P.S.
the guy on the doo is standing up in his trench!!

IMG_5601.jpg IMG_0810.jpg

Last edited:
Just driving back from riding he snowies. Friday 1/22 was good riding. Not epic but good over the hood powder. Today it was starting to get tracks up. Still soft but starting to get firm from all the sun and warm weather. Supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow so hopefully that'll help. We rode back side of the mountain and north of NO/quealy hut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coming down Jan. 29-Feb. 1. Come ride with us. Staying in Saratoga riding from Ryan park one day and sierras another.
efdeed10fd8993646906c400eea5ba3e.jpg

Any amounts from the storm yesterday? Seen a post on Facebook looked like a pretty good jag had fallen since we left on sunday

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

snowies

there is 2 of us,maybe a 3rd coming out feb 5th-8th.we have never ridden the snowie range area,but have heard good things.we are looking for a local to show us around,we are fair riders,not to extreme,not to mild,we like to play in rolling terrain,safe climbs,clean trees.minimal trail riding.like I said we are not extreme or dangerous riders.we all have avy gear.we have ridden areas in the horns,cooke,west,idaho,black hills.if anyone would be willing to show us around we greatly appreciate it.please msg me if youd be willing to show us around.thanks

Wonder how much snow came with the latest storm? Maybe coming to ride this weekend also

A friendly message re the Snowy Range from the local FS office

Good Morning,
The Forest Service office in Laramie, WY asked the local snowmobile club to post the following informative and timely info about snowmobiling on the Med Bow.

Snowest Thread: Clicky

If you have questions please call the Medicine Bow National Forest in Laramie at (307) 745-2300.
Thanks,
Snowy Range Snowmobile Club

west side 2/5 riding partner

I'm not going over to Albany for the forum ride tomorrow due to roads ect.. and I live in saratoga.

So is anyone riding the west side Friday 2/5?

Been riding here a decade +, full avi gear & training, aggressive rider (trees creeks ect).

Pm me

Updated. got a group !

Last edited:
Monday maybe instead? We're in kremmling for the weekend but have tomorrow Saturday and Sunday lined up. But we would love to ride the madres or Saratoga if you're free possibly.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Premium Features

Back