• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 indy 550 thoughts?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
The 550 IQs I built sporting 163 tracks are awesome. With that said I think the PRO chassis would be a remarkable upgrade.
I would add oil to the gas, they love oil. I pulled the oilers and run 32:1 mixed fuel. One has 34mm carbs the other has 38mm rack carbs. Both have exhaust cans from HPS.
Both run 18-46 gearing, P2 secondary's with a helix I had Dalton cut and 68 gram lightning weights.
I would by the 144 PRO 550 in a heart beat and ditch their new antiquated clutches for a P85 and P2 secondary.

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
I rode one and was pleasantly surprised. I stayed away from it as it is lacking the better or known clutches and the rear skid is the 144 and I like the 155 polaris holz design, so I went with a used 600 pro and we've enjoyed that a lot.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
OP, not sure how big your boys are, but I have had my 12 year old on a 2012 PRO 600 since last season and think it's the best option out for now. It's lighter than the 550 144", the boards clean better, and it's a sled he can grow into for sure and not be underpowered down the road. The track is a little long, but he seems to be doing fine. To clarify he's on the smaller end of 12 year old size, but seems to be able to get the sled on it's side easy enough with technique. Just building on confidence now, but overall, I'm happy with this sled for him. Just my .02.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
OP, not sure how big your boys are, but I have had my 12 year old on a 2012 PRO 600 since last season and think it's the best option out for now. It's lighter than the 550 144", the boards clean better, and it's a sled he can grow into for sure and not be underpowered down the road. The track is a little long, but he seems to be doing fine. To clarify he's on the smaller end of 12 year old size, but seems to be able to get the sled on it's side easy enough with technique. Just building on confidence now, but overall, I'm happy with this sled for him. Just my .02.

Off topic but this is good to hear; I have acquired most of the parts to build my 10 year old daughter her own 600 PRO as a bonding / family time activity. '13 600 CFI engine, Standard width Z-Broz front suspension or 36" as an option depending on her abilities, 146" EZ-Ryde rear suspension, Customized (9 inch CtoC) C3 belt drive setup, 9 Tooth 2.86" Pitch drivers, Drive shaft mounted Brake, I'll use some shortened IQ coolers and standard RMK front cooler (cause she'll need it while growing into it), 0.080" aluminum tunnel skins instead of the Carbon Fiber skins my sleds get, Grippers, track will be either a 2.5" CE or a Peak. '13+ boards mounted about 7"-8" forward of stock and cut out to clear snow where the stock drop bracket is (as it is not used / needed with the EZ-Ryde), BRP thermostat upgrade, SpeedoHealer to correct speedo / odometer, etc. I'll start a build thread soon, and show a few things I've picked up from other forum members and things I've come up with on my own.

Back to topic!

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
Off topic but this is good to hear; I have acquired most of the parts to build my 10 year old daughter her own 600 PRO as a bonding / family time activity. '13 600 CFI engine, Standard width Z-Broz front suspension or 36" as an option depending on her abilities, 146" EZ-Ryde rear suspension, Customized (9 inch CtoC) C3 belt drive setup, 9 Tooth 2.86" Pitch drivers, Drive shaft mounted Brake, I'll use some shortened IQ coolers and standard RMK front cooler (cause she'll need it while growing into it), 0.080" aluminum tunnel skins instead of the Carbon Fiber skins my sleds get, Grippers, track will be either a 2.5" CE or a Peak. '13+ boards mounted about 7"-8" forward of stock and cut out to clear snow where the stock drop bracket is (as it is not used / needed with the EZ-Ryde), BRP thermostat upgrade, SpeedoHealer to correct speedo / odometer, etc. I'll start a build thread soon, and show a few things I've picked up from other forum members and things I've come up with on my own.

Back to topic!

If it's all the same to you, I'll adopt you as a sledding step father and you build me all the toys you want. I am ok with it. No really

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho

Back to topic!

WOW! Lucky kid :face-icon-small-win

Premium Features