• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 Pro RMK 800. should I buy it?

S
Hi there. I've done a little snowmobiling before but nothing serious. I would like to buy a real sled and get into mountain riding.
So I've been looking on Craigslist and FB marketplace alot and haven't really found anything great. (Right now I don't really want to spend more than 5k.)

I recently found this

anchorage.craigslist.org

2013 Polaris pro 800 RMK - atvs, utvs, snowmobiles - by owner -...

Not sure if it's any good, so I was hoping some of you experienced guys could help out.

I texted the guy and got the particulars, which are as follows;

155x2 track
941 miles.
$4600
He's had it since 2014 and hasn't ridden it for the last two years. He had the crank rebuilt and a fix it kit put in (with receipt) by A2D motorsports (local repair shop). He claims he had the fixitkit done just for precaution. He says there are no problems with it. And the price is a little flexible.

Any comments would be gladly appreciated. Thanks in

P
Dec 23, 2007
I have never owned polaris, however everyone else in my riding group used to have a pro before they upgraded to the axys chassis. From my experience riding with them, it will be a great sled to learn on and be able to progress with you.

Cheers

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
Hi there. I've done a little snowmobiling before but nothing serious. I would like to buy a real sled and get into mountain riding.
So I've been looking on Craigslist and FB marketplace alot and haven't really found anything great. (Right now I don't really want to spend more than 5k.)

I recently found this

anchorage.craigslist.org

2013 Polaris pro 800 RMK - atvs, utvs, snowmobiles - by owner -...

Not sure if it's any good, so I was hoping some of you experienced guys could help out.

I texted the guy and got the particulars, which are as follows;

155x2 track
941 miles.
$4600
He's had it since 2014 and hasn't ridden it for the last two years. He had the crank rebuilt and a fix it kit put in (with receipt) by A2D motorsports (local repair shop). He claims he had the fixitkit done just for precaution. He says there are no problems with it. And the price is a little flexible.

Any comments would be gladly appreciated. Thanks in
you will be happy with that sled get performance and reliable

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
Rebuilt crank with only 941 miles?

Also, I know prices are up lately, but $4600 for a 10 year old sled seems high. Around here (lower 48), Axys chassis are going for only a little more than that.

On the other hand, the Pro Ride was a great chassis, and after the first motors they became more reliable. I don't remember exactly, but it might have been 2013 that they became better.

S
Rebuilt crank with only 941 miles?

Also, I know prices are up lately, but $4600 for a 10 year old sled seems high. Around here (lower 48), Axys chassis are going for only a little more than that.

On the other hand, the Pro Ride was a great chassis, and after the first motors they became more reliable. I don't remember exactly, but it might have been 2013 that they became better.
The price does seem high, but after looking at other comparable sleds on FB and Craigslist it's a pretty good deal. For instance, someone recently had for sale the same sled only a year newer and with 400 more miles for $5900!
I messaged the guy after it sold and he told me he got $5750 for it!!
So, I think $4600 is a reasonable price. Also I might be able to talk him down a bit

Yah I'm not sure about the Crank deal, he said he had it done back in 2014 so Idk.
Although I have read that those sleds were notorious for having a bad crank.

H
Aug 5, 2020
North Dakota
The price does seem high, but after looking at other comparable sleds on FB and Craigslist it's a pretty good deal. For instance, someone recently had for sale the same sled only a year newer and with 400 more miles for $5900!
I messaged the guy after it sold and he told me he got $5750 for it!!
So, I think $4600 is a reasonable price. Also I might be able to talk him down a bit

Yah I'm not sure about the Crank deal, he said he had it done back in 2014 so Idk.
Although I have read that those sleds were notorious for having a bad crank.
I’d say the price on a 2013 with that low of miles is fantastic. Sold my mostly stock 2013 Pro 163 in May with 5000 miles for $4k and it sold in two days.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Yeah, probably a good price. '13 would have several improvements, but one questionable change - that being the bonded control arms. They get a bad rap because of the lemons, and you have to know what to look for, but they're solid, capable sled if they've got the right fixes and been taken care of. I'm not sure about the fix kit on this one: seems like a waste or unnecessary with so few miles. There could be more to the story. Just the kind of thing you'd have to sound the seller out on. But putting that aside, a '13 with less than 1000 miles for $4600 is a worth it, assuming it checks out. If it's been really well cared for, it's a great deal.

S
Soooo. I went and checked it out. Although I don't know alot about snowmobiles I decided it was worth it. The guy seemed totally honest, and judging by his assets, was not trying to rip me off. He said he took good care of it, which I totally believe, considering how good condition it's in.

The only thing that I'm kinda worried about is, there was quite a bit of oil built up where the exhaust pipe comes out of the cylinder, and on surrounding components. (As seen in pics)20221013_163117.jpg

20221013_163130.jpgAlthough I'm pretty sure all it needs is a new exhaust manifold gasket.

Oh, and the steering seems to have more play than I would expect?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

S
Also I forgot to mention;
I did a Compression test and both cylinders were at 120.

The guy said it hadn't been started for several days and I started it the second pull.

Unfortunately I forgot to question him about the fix it kit? but he gave me the receipt from the repair shop, so I'm not too worried.

I got it for $4500 (which is to be expected considering he posted it for 4600.)

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
It wouldn't hurt to pull the power valve bellow covers off and check their cleanliness while you are working on the Y-pipe. You will likely need a new set of gaskets where the bases meet the cylinder. If there is that much oil spewing out, the power valves could be gummed up and the boots could be floating in oil.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
Soooo. I went and checked it out. Although I don't know alot about snowmobiles I decided it was worth it. The guy seemed totally honest, and judging by his assets, was not trying to rip me off. He said he took good care of it, which I totally believe, considering how good condition it's in.

The only thing that I'm kinda worried about is, there was quite a bit of oil built up where the exhaust pipe comes out of the cylinder, and on surrounding components. (As seen in pics)View attachment 394082

View attachment 394083Although I'm pretty sure all it needs is a new exhaust manifold gasket.

Oh, and the steering seems to have more play than I would expect?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
it's normal it comes form the bellows on the power valves

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Thanks for the encouragement mtncat1!
Your sure that's normal?
I'm totally willing to believe you, actually I really want to believe you, but I would really like to be sure.
Only normal if you have a leaking gasket or a blown bellows... otherwise any oil should be down in the belly pan where the exhaust valve hose drains (I reroute and extend that hose out by the exhaust so it won't freeze up). The hoses from the EVs go to the selenoid and from there (stock sled) into the belly pan...

D
Nov 17, 2008
One other thing that you could have is a crack in the y pipe and on start up when you have extra oil coming out the exhaust it gets out the crack. I had this happen on my machine. But i think the first thing to check is the billows in the power values

Premium Features