• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 D8 RMK 155- does it need idler wheels?

D
Jan 30, 2010
Sac
I just picked up a 2010 D8 and they have absolutely no wheels on the length of the track and 2 really cheep wheels on the rear of the track. My 900 had 6 wheels on the track and 3 in the rear. I was smelling burning rubber after riding on packed trail for a short stint.

Polaris OEM is expensive

Any suggestions? Aftermarket?

thanks

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I guess the story goes that polaris opted to save some weight by deleting the idlers and providing rail scratchers. While rail scratchers do work great for the back half of the hyfax and for cooling, they are little or no help for the front part of the hyfax especially the transition point where the rails begin to sweep up to the tips. This is where my hyfax wear the most on hard pack.

I am on my second season using Hartman ski scratchers and they are working really well for me. They throw a ton of spray onto and inside the front of the track. They come looking like this:

100_4532.jpg

I drill out the little pilot hole here to fit the ski bolt (3/8" if I remember right)

100_4531.jpg

Mount them on the inside of the ski like this

100_4526.jpg

When ya need them just flip them off of their resting point on the ski and your in business.

100_4522.jpg

Hope you find something that works for ya. Burning hyfax is a pain. Good luck. EW

T

towngrunt

Apr 17, 2008
Install the bogies on the center of track!!!! This will lengthen the life of your hi-fax greatly. Had a buddy that burned up a set in one ride due to no bogies. As for the rear idler's these work great the way they are, 2 is all you need.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I have not added wheels to my 09 D8 and it has been fine. If I'm on the hard pack I put down my ice scratchers, but I'm seldom on the hard pack for long periods of time. I did switch my track out to a camo extreme, so not sure how that would make a difference.

Jeff95

Premium Member
Jan 11, 2009
Terrebonne, Oregon
I installed the front 2 sets of wheels on mine after wearing the front half of my hifax after 900 miles. No sign of wear after 400 miles.

Jeff

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I did switch my track out to a camo extreme, so not sure how that would make a difference.

I run the same track as Bug, and it is fully clipped, which means a metal clip in between every window. There is no rubber to hyfax friction with the Camo track and they are a lot easier on the hyfax wear not to mention an awesome track. EW

I
Sep 26, 2009
Anchorage, Alaska
I only have about 300 miles on my '10 D8 155 but probly 100 of those were trails with marginal snow conditions. I have the Poo idler kit & my hifaxes are in great shape even though I have never used my scratchers yet. A buddy with the exact same sled but no idlers had to replace his hifax's after his first ride. You can decide but I preferr the low maintainance.

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
155 tracks sledes came with bogie wheels!

IF you are over 220lbs with gear I would at least have a set in the front. Also the two rear wheels that you said look cheap..well those are the stock wheels and they are cheap pieces of PooPoo.

If you were smelling rubber that was most likely your belt! If it was your hyfax it would smell more like parafin wax burning.

Premium Features