• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 Crossfire 8 Clutching for Wyoming

schnid21

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2009
Hi guys

I'm heading to the Big Horns in Wyoming this Winter for the first time. I've done some reading on what I need to do to get the clutching all setup for my sled. But I have found some information that varies so I was hoping someone that has a similar setup to me could explain what they have done.

Sled specs. Completely stock 09 Crossfire 8, with a 2.25" Powerclaw track.

First question is for the Big Horns of Wyoming, what elevation should I be clutching to: 6000-9000 ft, or 9000+.

I will be running the 36 degree helix as per the label in my secondary, but the questions I have are about the primary.

According the label on the sled I should be running 68.0g for 9000+ and 73.0g for 6000-9000. When I looked the parts up on Arctic Cats parts fiche I came up with different numbers (I am assuming the parts fiche is wrong and go with the label?). The arctic Cat parts fiches says 75g for 6000-9000 which I ordered and have at my house. I am pretty sure they are wrong and I now have a set of 75g weights for sale.

So could someone help me out with which cam arm I should be running?

Another option I was considering was getting some adjustable cam arms. I've never really played with clutching before so this is all new to me. Likely looking at getting Cutlers, or does anyone recommend something different? My question here is what weight range should I be looking at? They offer 65-75, or 70-80. If I need 68 to run 9000+ and then at home I would need 77, I am just on either side of the ranges you can buy. I'm thinking probably the 70-80 would be most versatile for me.

If I did go with the Cutlers, how difficult is it to get them set right. I only have 5 days out west, and want to mess as little as possible with the weights while I am there. I read about end loading (which has to be done before install) vs. regular loading which can be done with them in the sled. If anyone has run this setup and has some tips I'd really appreciate the info.

Hoping someone can get me straightened out here so that when I get to Wyoming I'm not stuck on the side of the hill messing with weights.

Thanks all.

Jason

A

akinneberg

Apr 6, 2009
Fargo, ND
I've got a '09 HCR bone stock other than a MBRP can, and my buddy had a '09 crossfire with a powerclaw bone stock with same can as mine, and we always clutch with 70 grams for going out west, and it seems to be a good set up for 8-10k. the clutching for the two sleds seems to be the same since the HCR has a longer track, but lower gears. I have the cutler adjustable weights 70-80g. and run them at about 77-78g at home (elev. 900') and 70 out west. I love them, I can re-clutch my sled in about 10 minutes. Also, I run the stock 36 helix, and he ran the stock crossfire one. Jumping from one sled to the other, we couldn't tell any difference. Hope this helps.

schnid21

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2009
I've got a '09 HCR bone stock other than a MBRP can, and my buddy had a '09 crossfire with a powerclaw bone stock with same can as mine, and we always clutch with 70 grams for going out west, and it seems to be a good set up for 8-10k. the clutching for the two sleds seems to be the same since the HCR has a longer track, but lower gears. I have the cutler adjustable weights 70-80g. and run them at about 77-78g at home (elev. 900') and 70 out west. I love them, I can re-clutch my sled in about 10 minutes. Also, I run the stock 36 helix, and he ran the stock crossfire one. Jumping from one sled to the other, we couldn't tell any difference. Hope this helps.

That's a huge help. Thanks. With the cutler weights. Did you get into any of the end loading? Or do you just add all the weight to the main body? I think the system you have makes the most sense to me. I'll probably go that route. And I've already bought the 36 degree helix so I might as well install it before I go.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Bighorns riding is 8-10k. I had an 09 crossfire with a 2.25 p claw and full slp pipe setup. In the horns I ran 68's with a 44/36 radiuses BDX helix, rock rollers, shift assist, H5 alloy springs (stock rates), and thunder products glide washers. Thing ran like a top. If i were you i would just run 68-70 gram weights, stock 36* helix, and stock springs for simplicity. The sled will run fine and you'll have a blast.

schnid21

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2009
I like the idea of the Cutlers vs. the stock weights. It means I won't have to open the clutch up when I get home to put the stock weights back in, I could just add the weight and be good to go. If I bought the 70-80g weights it would put me right at the proper weight for the Big Horns. Unless there is a big drawback to running the Cutlers?

Also, does running the Cutlers at 70g (no added weight) have any performance drawbacks?

Last edited:
A

akinneberg

Apr 6, 2009
Fargo, ND
I only ever put weight in the heel/back of the weights, I've never put it in the tip since you have to remove the weight to do that.

schnid21

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2009
I only ever put weight in the heel/back of the weights, I've never put it in the tip since you have to remove the weight to do that.

So if you have 70-80's and you head out west, your just running the weights with the threaded holes completely empty? What sort of RPM's were you running?

I keep flip flopping back and forth from what I read on this forum as to whether to go adjustable or stick with CAt weights. Want to make sure when I get there I don't have to worry about clutching and just ride.

schnid21

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2009
What akinneberg said. Plus you will get stronger pull if you load as close to the weight pivot as you can get. Hope this helps.:face-icon-small-coo

I think I have it figured out how they work. My worry is that if I get 70-80 weights I'll be too close to the limit of what they can do. Ie. at elevation I'll have to run with no loading in order to get low enough weights and if heel loading gets best response will not having any loading in them cause me issues? And the reason I need the 70-80 is to get my weights high enough for low elevation. I love the idea of adjustable weights since I'll be back and forth from sea level to high elevation, just worried I may be stretching the limits of what these things can do. In which case I may as well just go stock cat weights and change them anyway.

A

akinneberg

Apr 6, 2009
Fargo, ND
I've been running 70-80 Cutlers for the past 4 years, and have never had one problem or regret. I run the 70's completely empty for out west, and they work perfect. You won't be disappointed.

Premium Features