• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 M1200 Turbo Project

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
beautiful sled, but the one thing that blows me away is that no one else out there except boondocker uses intercoolers anymore, the tech from bd told me if i was running 10psi or more the charge temps get pretty hot and it just gets that much closer to deto!

the use of larger turbos help move more air and dont have to work so hard like the smaller turbos and that helps makes charge temps lower ! bigger cc engines have the bottom end the old M7's didnt have so spool up isnt much of a problem off the bottom anymore so now u can use larger turbos ! ! plus if u run an intercooler with out a hi volume of air moving threw it your charge temps will be higher than if u didnt have the intercooler ! the intercooler will hold the heat in like an oven without the air movement ! this is why the turbo gods dont use them! So im told !
mike:D

So, can I remove my intercooler on my 08 m1000 with a boondocker turbo? Can I just stick a charge tube in there with my ADA sensor and blow off valve and call it good, or will it change my numbers by quite a bit??

Sorry to hijack your thread isattv. Beautiful sled!!:beer;

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
temps

i was told between 100degree drop over an adequate intercooler at lets say 10psi. sorry for the off topic we should start a new thread for this. and someone run a temp sensor on each side of the intercooler and answer this question once and for all. for short pulls yes an intercooler may not be necessary but for long deep hard pulls i think it will be beneficial.

Shwinecat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Milbank, SD
Wow!!! That is awesome!!! I have to ask and I did not see it mentioned. What type of fuel controller are you using. Not trying to start any arguements was just wondering. BS

I
Nov 28, 2007
Orem, Utah
I don't mind the hijack...

thanks for all the love guys!

Speeddemon said it right! for most applications i believe that an intercooler just isn't needed. i have run sleds with them and without them. on my M1000 the intercooler actually caused damage because my fan quit working and while i was boondocking it heated up without the constant fresh air and boom..both pistons detonated.

I might actually decide to run one later on, but i want to try it first like this..plus it adds another 12lbs!

the other thing is the fact that you have much better bottom end when you bypass it. i have not actually seen this but I have been told by a number of guys that have ran with and without.

S

speeddemon

Feb 27, 2006
buckley wa
So, can I remove my intercooler on my 08 m1000 with a boondocker turbo? Can I just stick a charge tube in there with my ADA sensor and blow off valve and call it good, or will it change my numbers by quite a bit??

Sorry to hijack your thread isattv. Beautiful sled!!:beer;

i would have to say yes ! and it has been proven by other people who build kits ! im not going to get into a pi$$ing match over it ! talk to brad story , shain stanger , travis and garr at ovs ! or even any other turbo guru and im sure they will give u a better discription than me on if it works or not ! but if it made that big of a difference i think the designers of BD's kit would be using them he builds one of the fastest turboed sleds out to this day ! and im sure they ride in the steep deep fluff as well LOL!!!
just my .02
mike:D

Last edited:
S

sledhed88

Dec 13, 2007
Who makes watever system that is to hold the pipe to Y? Im very interested in that!!

D

Daniel Boondocker

Dec 1, 2007
Idaho Falls
Cost

What does it cost to do a 1200 turbo over a 1000 turbo? The 1200 kit and someone to build it and anything else you need on top of that. 09 M8 Sno Pro 162's are apparently gone.

I
Nov 28, 2007
Orem, Utah
slp pipe (better top end), hardened motor mounts(little more vibration, but less motor twisting and less blown belts), maybe a 4 post clutch (you can run more weight thus less slippage)...

think that's about it...

S

SafetyBob

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 13, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
The intercooler with a fan is just one of the options offered by OVS and is done that way for those that don't want the extra weight of an intercooler. Personally, I will have an intercooler on my sled because of the length of climbs that I make, and the hp of the sled far outweighs the extra weight.

There are engine mods for the M1000 that can increase the power delivery substantially and an aftermarket pipe for even further increase. There is also a big bore available for the M1000, so your options are many. You will need to contact Travis 801-940-7777 for pricing on these options.

Brad
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=803504#post803504

Not to hijack but I am beginning to notice that only one side of the issue is being addressed. The facts are the facts the fastest sleds are intercooled, period. Thanks D

I
Nov 28, 2007
Orem, Utah
The intercooler with a fan is just one of the options offered by OVS and is done that way for those that don't want the extra weight of an intercooler. Personally, I will have an intercooler on my sled because of the length of climbs that I make, and the hp of the sled far outweighs the extra weight.

There are engine mods for the M1000 that can increase the power delivery substantially and an aftermarket pipe for even further increase. There is also a big bore available for the M1000, so your options are many. You will need to contact Travis 801-940-7777 for pricing on these options.

Brad
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=803504#post803504

Not to hijack but I am beginning to notice that only one side of the issue is being addressed. The facts are the facts the fastest sleds are intercooled, period. Thanks D

i agree with you on the smaller CC sleds using smaller turbos, but i don't on builds like mine. The bottom end is much crisper while boondocking and ONLY on the really long pulls there is a difference and its nothing a little shot of NOS wont take care of!
Intercooled sleds even with the fan (which i have had on 2 different sleds) heat up when boondocking and can cause engine failure, especially if the fan stops working as mine did!

I built this sled to be a boondocking dream as well as a point and freakn rip sled. i used every lightweight component i could find that didnt sacrifice performance. so i just could not justify adding 12lbs to the nose of my sled, that i just spent $100 per pound trying to get rid off!

we will see this winter! if the intercooled 1200s prove to be the better all around sleds, then i will move in that direction.

until then...im praying for snow!

Last edited:
Premium Features