• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat Turbo Question M-1000 or M-800 and what kind of turbo?

T
Jan 15, 2008
"Opinions are like butts... Everyone has one and everyone elses stinks"

So I'll add my stinky here too. Having ridden turbo sleds for more than a dozen years with countless hours testing and tuning of everything I can get my hands on, my latest conclusion is that you get what you pay for. Cheap is cheap and high end is expensive but worth its weight in ride time. OVS has the most user friendly, well thought out system available with about any option you could ask for in a 2 stroke turbo, and they have my endorsement for the one to buy. So, as a wise old man has told me time and time again, "buy the best and cry once".

Brad

Words of WISDOM

D
Dec 11, 2007
Awesome guys. Thanks everyone for the information. Please keep it coming. I was thinking about the OVS system from the get-go. Just my research of websites etc. I have noticed many things that I really liked with your system. My one big question, to OVS, is why you dont have an intercooler set-up included in your turbo systems (I know you can get it as an upgrade) like other systems have included with their kits? Also, are there any large mods, to the sled itself that you have to do to an M1000 turboed (I know you have to redo clutches, but what about engine mods - less compression? different pistons? that sort of stuff).....The intercooler question was just a question, I didnt want to make it sound as if the other systems are better than yours. I do appreciate all info from everyone though.

If there are any questions, or discussions etc. that anyone wants to do through PM, phone, email...instead of this post, please let me know. There may be things that people do not want to speak about publicly, and I completely understand that. I just figured that having this thread for myself is great, and than others can read also.

Last edited:
B

Boost Addict

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
dodgedart68,

The intercooler with a fan is just one of the options offered by OVS and is done that way for those that don't want the extra weight of an intercooler. Personally, I will have an intercooler on my sled because of the length of climbs that I make, and the hp of the sled far outweighs the extra weight.

There are engine mods for the M1000 that can increase the power delivery substantially and an aftermarket pipe for even further increase. There is also a big bore available for the M1000, so your options are many. You will need to contact Travis 801-940-7777 for pricing on these options.

Brad

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
P

Pure Logic Tuning

Dec 3, 2007
www.purelogictuning.com
As brad said the intercooler is a option that works well because of the crazy stuff in Canada that he climbs that is forever long. I do not run the intercooler because I choose to not have the extra weight on my sled and I run 16lbs of boost and have never had the need for the intercooler. This is a monster debate that I will not say one way is better than the other it is a matter of choice that is why we offer it as a option. There are alot of mods that can be done to the M-1000 to increase the performance over a standard turbo M-1000. You do not need to modify the engine at all to run the turbo set-up we have.

P

product tester

Nov 27, 2007
matty mac I ran my sled with stock porting from 2500 ft to 13500 ft up yo 10#s on 50 /50 and up to 16 on straight 112, although with the stock port height above 11#s didnt seem to make a big diffrence in power when you turned it up, dropping the port heights helped with this ,if I added 2 galons of 116 to a tank of 112 I could run 18#s no problems.

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
ttt

What a great read. Should keep this thread going. Im guessing Im not the only one looking for more info on this stuff.

I am kind of leaning towards one kit. Is there that much of a difference? If a guy found a good deal on one, would it be worth passing up to get a different kit? Or are most of the mainstream kits pretty close?

Last edited:
P

Pure Logic Tuning

Dec 3, 2007
www.purelogictuning.com
OVS has ran the stock engines on both the M-8 and the M-1000 and the 800 Dragon on 110 race gas at 18lbs with no problems. These sled's are never turned down below 12-14lbs of boost. These sled's do not have the intercoolers but we do have the intercooler option for those who want it. We do run a stainless air filters designed for turbo charged engines. We do not use cold air intakes because they prove to be restrictive and cause power loss and turbo damage even on the Garret turbo's. OVS has endless hours on these sled's to provide the best turbo sled in the industry. OVS wants to thank people like Brad Story who very possibly has more seat time and R&D on turbo sled's than any person in the industry for letting people know that the OVS kit is the best kit he has ever ridin.

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
noise??

Here's a dumb question..."How loud is a turbo over stock exhaust?" I see BD puts the exhaust out the tunnel and OVS out the side panel and some kits seem to have no muffler. I'm a flat lander in Wisconsin and this would be huge issue for me. I'm running a 1200 kit right now into the stock can.

BTW...I talk with Travis for almost an hour and he had me sold!! BUT I've held off so far...I don't want to make my sled unrideable in my area.

Paul

H

Hairy Mark

Nov 21, 2007
kettle falls
sorry paul but most kits are very loud. they do put a muffler on the ovs kit and make it better but they are still loud.

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
I agree with Mark they are a bit loud in the powder the tunnel dump was not all that bad but in the hard pack it does have a ring to it.

I want to hook up with Travis this fall to see how quite the new Aero 66 is.

P

Pure Logic Tuning

Dec 3, 2007
www.purelogictuning.com
The garret kit is alot quiter with the muffler than the tunnel dumb and the no muffler system pipe like twisted turbo that was copied from the old BD turbo's.
The Aerocharger turbo kit is very quite. It sounds like a stock sled with a bikeman can.

P

product tester

Nov 27, 2007
plt my no muffler systeme is accually a muffler, and bd never did anything that was 3 in. It was accually coppied from brad and some set ups he did last year for a few lucky customers, one guy had both set ups and accually liked the light weight model better, that the dyna teck that you use, witch I also offer, but everyone is picking the lighter of the 2, witch I will use on my sled as I have decided to go as light as I can this year, I hope I can take 20 lbs just out of my spare tire..

Premium Features