• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2 Old snowhawk prototype

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
Did he say if this machine was actually functional ???

Both track seem like they've never seen any snow at all ?

Be careful with that exhaust Eric, you might burn your pants then catch fire :target:

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
Eric, looks like you found that scrap aluminum you were looking for. What does that come out to per pound?

T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
the exaust has to go for sure and i wouldn't trust that track either and what's up with the front suspension arms not being in the same angle?TLKD?any answers?

By making the suspension arms different lengths and angles you can customized the "axel" Path. In this case it look likes the ski will move as if it was on a telescoping fork straight up at a slight angle back. you can easily see how this works with paper pencil and compass.

Here is an early mountain bike suspension fork, its selling point was that the during the initial part of the stroke the axle moved back and up.

http://www.bikepro.com/products/forks/amp_index.html

I owned one, it sucked and didnt last one season.

Last edited:
T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
ahhh the old amp research fork..... killer concept and very light but to many parts and pieces to wear and get sloppy... had a few myself

Wow we have a lot in common. Can you believe the designers thought that tiny little damper would be able to handle the rigors of mountain biking? That thing would get so hot! The AMP was a product of the "everything has to be super light" theory of mountain bike design. Not smart!

Why did you have two of them?

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
when you own a shop you end up with two many of everything! especially in the early nineties when we were all weight weenies... i had a box of broken parts probly worth a million bucks! lol

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
the exaust has to go for sure and i wouldn't trust that track either and what's up with the front suspension arms not being in the same angle?TLKD?any answers?

The attack angle (what Mountain Bikers would call "Head TUbe Angle" or what Motorcyclist would call "Rake") of the ski is too steep. That'll cause it to oversteer and throw you over the bar very easily and will probably act very weird in most conditions. Ever rode a Cross Country bike (steep head angle) going downhill... You know what's that about then. Problem is you can't reposition this angle without repositionning the back pivot of the upper A-Arm. You basically need to redesign the front end for it to work right. Somewhere aroung 65 degrees would be good. Right now it's almost vertical, plus the A-Arm suspension arrangement (pivot points) has a path that goes a little forward when you compress it (...) That means it doesn't have the ability to soak up front forward bumps as good as it should...

Talking about other stuff that might not work properly : the pipe is way too much in the way. I can see a guy bending the rear suspension AND front A-Arms because it's only flat bars, not tubes, not stiff enough laterally according to me. I bent my stock swignarms on my Hawk so that,s why I'm saying this. The rear shock push crossbar might bend (I Bent mine on my new suspension, went 1045 Steel instead of Alu, doubled my GF up the mountain just to double-test it, problem solved). If you stay below 25 horses the track might be good enough but you won't have enough of this motor i'm 95% sure, you'll want to soup it up, then the track might let go. Have you seen where the shifter is !

I really don't want to bash on this project because I see a lot of dedicated work done there, but there's probably a few reasons why (besides the dollar factor) it never got completed/tested...

"Nightmare" or "a lot of dedicated design & fab work every night for the next 6-7 months just to make it work as it should", call this how you want. To me I'd just start back on the drawing board, the process would be faster.

I see this as a Museum / Collection piece, I don't think it'll ever run as good as the designer had in mind.

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
I see this as a Museum / Collection piece, I don't think it'll ever run as good as the designer had in mind.

exactly! allthough it would be funny to fire it up and ride it as it is pictured just to see how much better the real thing is...same thing as the 2ski collectors, they all seem to have a 1969 skidoo to put around the house for laughs parked next to the turbo rev

id like to put it upstairs of my barn next to my honda gyro scooters and 1974 kx125 and jr60, maybe my 503 will rest up there someday too...

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
when you own a shop you end up with two many of everything! especially in the early nineties when we were all weight weenies... i had a box of broken parts probly worth a million bucks! lol

I wish I were older than 7-10 years old in the early nineties ! Damn that was the golden age of Bicycle design evolution ! Riding a DH bike that has 4" of rear travel with probably a ZZYZX Fork, fluorescent jerseys, fluorescent Motocross roost guard and yellow fluorescent Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes !!! Can't forget the mullet out of the back of the helmet of course !

T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
I wish I were older than 7-10 years old in the early nineties ! Damn that was the golden age of Bicycle design evolution ! Riding a DH bike that has 4" of rear travel with probably a ZZYZX Fork, fluorescent jerseys, fluorescent Motocross roost guard and yellow fluorescent Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes !!! Can't forget the mullet out of the back of the helmet of course !

I was in my twenties when this all went down. I must have owned every suspension system for a mountain bike ever conceived from the Girvin Flexstem to the latest 5 inch Marzochhi .

This was my first full sus. I remember losing sleep fantasizing about it.
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m52/elev5k/DiamondBackAd800.jpg

Has anyone put a front ski on your MTB for snomotrail riding? I did in 1990 on Thanksgiving break. I never felt so inspired to do something, this biking on snow has become part of my persona. Interesting group of folks here.

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
hey tc check out ktrakcycle.com pedal powered hawk!

thierry you making fun of my old flo pink bell image helmet?!!! how bout the early marzochhi forks that the steerer tube snapped off on,those sure made for a fun ride! they still make the hydro rim brakes for the trials guys! you were still on training wheels and i had a sub 19lb titanium everything bike! damn im old! thanks for reminding me....

yes i still want the prototype hawk. would make a nice stand to hang my wet clothes on after a ride...

Premium Features