• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 knock sensor issue w/RKtek mods

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
I have a 2009 800 XP and am having knock sensor issues.

I put on an RKTek head and also did their ECM update and now the knock sensor is going haywire.

I rode about 1/2 a mile the first time out and it started throwing the knock sensor fault on the display. Shortly thereafter it went in to limpmode.

I rejetted a couple sizes bigger and it didn't help.

Dealers dignostic computer said no signal from the knock sensor so I ordered a replacement.

After I installed the new sensor the sled idled for about 10-15 seconds and the code popped up again. You would have to be running DEADLY lean for the knock sensor to pop at an idle.

I would also think that the code would reset if you shut the machine off but it shows a knock sensor fault as soon as you restart the machine.

Anyone had this problem with the RKTek reflash?

TIA

Last edited:

800HMX

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2002
Okotoks, AB
What elevation, compression, pipe and fuel are you using? The idle issue aside, we have some 14:1 RKT heads that require as much as 30% 110 at anything below 6000' (especially with an aftermarket pipe or y pipe).

M
Nov 27, 2007
Vernal, UT
yeah the idle thing is strange. I have a 14.8:1 head and ride above 7000'. I was lucky and only have to mix 10% 100 with 91 octane and it stopped setting the code. But try fueling somewhere else. If you are getting fuel with ethanol in it you will have problems with high compression.

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
Stock pipe.

Elevation at the moment is about 2000' in my shop.

I ran the same head on my 2007 with no issues on pump 92.

The code should be resetting when the engine is shut off.

Is there any manual way to manually clear the code?

N
Nov 21, 2010
2009 xp's have to have ecm reflashed with updated software in order for ecm to reset when the motor shuts off. original software will not reset once light comes on and it has to be reset with the computer. there is no manual way to set it. also i have seen an issue with this on an 09 check the red/blue wire going to the voltage regulator behind the foam on the right side just on the inside of the chaincase. the wire had rubbed on the rivet causing engine to misfire once in awhile and the det. light to come on.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Knock sensor limp-mode update #415-129-450, done on BUDS system at any dealer. On the '09's it will not automatically clear the limp mode without this. Not sure how your re-program may play into this.

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
Thanks winter brew.

I wonder if doing that update will change the whole program. What a clusterfrick this is.

I would think the update would have covered that but perhaps not. Not sure how to find out either.

DenverR1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Denver, CO
Had the same issue when I had my 08. Could not figure it out. Kelsey said to just disconnect the sensor and forget about it. Then my engine detonated itself to death. I hope you get it figured out because I never did. And don't expect much from Kelsey.

P

pyxle

Jan 27, 2008
Maple Valley, WA
The knock sensor throwing a code at idle is very strange. That may be an active fault from when it was shut off last.

The ECM starts reading the knock sensor signal at 5000rpm, so tripping a fault code below 5000 indicates a faulty ECM unless the software update has not been done to your ECM. The fault will remain active until it is cleared by dealer and software is updated.

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
The knock sensor throwing a code at idle is very strange. That may be an active fault from when it was shut off last.

The ECM starts reading the knock sensor signal at 5000rpm, so tripping a fault code below 5000 indicates a faulty ECM unless the software update has not been done to your ECM. The fault will remain active until it is cleared by dealer and software is updated.

All my research semms to indicate that I need to get the update done to automatically reset the fault upon shut down.

Problem there is that i could potentially wipe out the ECM upgrade I just paid $150 for and it seems the only way of knowing if that is the case is to: Do the update at the dealer, send the ECM to RK Tek, he sends it to BRP, BRP checks the program and acts accordingly, BRP send it back to RK Tek, RK Tek sends it back to me, I have my fingers crossed that it works so I don't have to do it all over again.

I just wanna friggin ride.

FYI, Kelsey has been emailing me all weekend about this so I have no complaints as far as that goes. I would suggest that he mention getting all the updates done before sending the ECM to him.

Last edited:
W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
Wish I would have known that ahead of time.

I might have to try getting the code reset without updating and keep my fingers crossed that it never sets off the knock sensor again.

Last edited:
Premium Features