• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Studding tires

F
Apr 5, 2009
So who has the tires studded on their truck to pull their trailers? Do you just have the rears or all 4? Wondering how it would handle with a trailer with cross winds. If the truck drives fine and the trailer just moved around or if all 4 just tracks funny. Thinking about getting a set of tires and studding them but want to hear some input first.

J
Jun 5, 2011
West Slope Colorado
I run studded cooper m+s tires in winter. All 4 aND I feel it's well worth the investment. If you are going the run a set of winter tires, might as well get the best grip. I hear there are great studless tires out there, but for our travels, icy and snowpacked roads, the studs give me great grip. I think it's the way to go l, and have been running studs for 7 or so years and wouldn't run without in winter. No matter the load, sled deck, trailer, empty, they just perform better in my opinion.
Either way, get good tires with lots of siping, aND you'll be happy I'm sure.

Last edited:
J
Jun 5, 2011
West Slope Colorado
They certainly aren't as awesome as chains, but I chain up less often than others I know with regular tires. Once it gets deep/steep enough there is no substitute for chains. But that's why you have sleds !
I have yet to chain up on regular roads with my studs on. I do have chains always on me tho

R
Mar 16, 2010
Question I have is does having studded tires eliminate the need for chains especially on steep passes?

No. I love studded tires, I think the mechanical grip offers something beyond the Blizzak/other "studless technology" tires - but in reality, a studded tire is not really NOTABLY better than a Blizzak/other good quality studless snow.

I've had both "studless" winter tires and studded, I keep going back to studs. I've never studded my own tire - someone on here went crazy with a stud gun and put 700ish studs in an all-terrain tire - I'm sure that's FAR more significant than normal studded snows, but even then, I doubt they'd compare to chains.

Drew - remember when we pulled that Subaru out of the bank (well, through the bank for a bit....oops) on 40? Remember how icy the road was? That's where I REALLY like studs.

But chains...that's a whole extra level of grip. 2wd vs 4wd in the average truck is pretty dramatic, right? 4wd with snows vs 4wd with chains is not AS dramatic - but it is close. Chains are ridiculous.

I've never needed to chain up a 4wd vehicle on public roads to get there, FWIW. I always have decent tires, but still - I've never NEEDED chains on main roads, and CO rarely (I've never seen it) mandates chains on passenger vehicles.

I just got a set of Nokian Hakkepeliita LT2s for my truck, they seem good. Not FANTASTIC, but good. IME, the Cooper Discoverer M&S is the best bang for the buck (studdable, square tread blocks). They're awesome.

.02c! I'm a tire junkie.

F
Apr 5, 2009
I was thinking goodyear duratracs heard good reviews unstudded so gotta be better when there studded right? Just wonderingredients 2 or 4 studded? What about studding the tires on your trailer?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
A few friends of mine in the late 70's had a friendly drive in deep snow. One had a jeep pickup in 4wd and the other had a half ton chevy with chains and 2wd and a few hundred pounds in the bed.

They were pretty much equal in all the snow they drove thru with a slight advantage going to the jeep. I dont think either had lockers but not sure about ltd slip. They were driving thru alleys and drifts.

Another guys dad owned a service station and would mount up studded winter tires when the roads were ice covered. He passed me on an ice covered hwy and the tires were kicking up an ice spray which looked like water spray coming off the tires. He said the traction was incredible. Granted, that was back then, but I will never forget that sight.

Advantage of studs is you dont have to stop the truck to install when conditions get bad. You can also drive faster as conditions allow. I too wonder how much studs might help keep a trailer tracking straight.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Stud all 4 tires, doing just the rear is a waste. There is more weight over your front axle so those tires provide excellent traction, turning corners, and also braking. A dedicated winter tire with the mountain/snowflake designation with st!tloads of siping is key whether studded or not. Studs are great in snow and ice, however they have less traction on a dry road...you will be able to spin them easier than a standard tire as the steel studs have less grip and lift the tire edges on asphalt. You won't find a decent studless tire like a Blizzak for most load range E tires, they just wear too fast.

F
Apr 5, 2009
Kinda wondering on the trailer if a guy just did the front axle studded if that would be enough to keep it from swaying so bad and able to hit the controller to try and straighten it out if needed.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Run studs on all four. There have been years I've wanted to put them on the trailer too!

The tires shops in my area won't even put two on - they claim it's illegal.

There are situations studs will negate the need for chains - but they won't eliminate it all together.

The last few years I've ran the winter at sst. Made by dean in the US. They work well and I am getting them again for my single wheel this year.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
This will my 3rd winter on my studded (all 4) Kanati Trail Hog tires. My truck is a '15 GMC 3500HD 4x4 CC/LB SRW. I also put a topper on for the winter, so that adds 150 or so lbs, plus I also have 250 to 300lbs of sand in the bed between the wheel wells.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I've run 4 studded tires on my enclosed 3-place for the last 5 years that I've had it and I wouldn't pull it in winter without them! The fact I've got studs on the trailer has literally saved my bacon from disaster more than once, I will continue to run studs on it every year for sure! It does an excellent job of keeping the trailer in a straight line so it doesn't slide out to the side, and can also help correct the truck if the truck starts to move around. Riding the trailer brakes down an icy hill helped to keep the truck out of the ditch on a icy road with water on it... the perfect recipe for disaster!

As for the truck, I run BFGs and they hook up awesome! Also nice that I can continue to run them into the late spring/summer after studs are illegal and I still want to chase the snow line up the hill with the sled deck.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I started running studded Duratracks 3 winters ago and love them for the truck. Just bought a new set for this winter. I haven't studded the trailer tires, but I would like to see how they do.

R
Mar 16, 2010
I've had studded Duratracs, too - they're very good. IMHO, a true dedicated snow tire is better, but at the same time, the Duratrac DOES have the mountain/snowflake "severe snow" whatever symbol, and the Duratrac is not a "winter only" compound - you can run them year round.

I also think that the Duratrac is slightly BETTER than a dedicated snow tire in untracked/lightly packed snow - FS roads, parking lots, etc. The larger voids seem to dig in better, but...splitting hairs.

Duratracs wear kinda quick, and they're a bit squirmy feeling for the first 100 miles - at which point I'm guessing you just get used to it. Who knows. I towed a 10k# enclosed trailer with my Duratracs, and while I liked my Michelin LTX *better* than the DT, the DT was not bad, at all.

Here in CO, studs are legal year round, so a studded Duratrac is an option, if you want to go with one set winter & summer.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Studded tires for snowmobile trailers will be car tires.
Yes the studs give good traction but the sidewalls are not designed for the load tandem axles apply.
U will not have good milage with the passenger car tires.

GS6

F
Apr 5, 2009
Studded tires for snowmobile trailers will be car tires.
Yes the studs give good traction but the sidewalls are not designed for the load tandem axles apply.
U will not have good milage with the passenger car tires.

GS6

I Agree That's Why I'm Hoping Someone Did That And Found A Good Tire that has a higher load rating. I'd only run these tires in the winter and have the unstudded put back on when summer time hits. Only get one trip a winter with the trailer out west then it's just back and forth a little around home.

Premium Features