• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Building Fit Kit Advice.

wonderdummy

Premium Member
Dec 27, 2007
So I am Installing an SX Kit on 01 CR500. Timbersled doesn't make a fit kit for this. The used SX I bought came with an 09 CRF450 fit kit. The strut rod reducers for the ST/LT are the same for all the hondas so i am assuming this will be the same for the SX. I am looking to see how others went about aligning the kit on the bike and measuring the size of needed for sub-frame spacers.

I don’t have any other snowbikes in my area to look at and compare. I am looking for ways others have lined everything up either with a timbersled or home made kits, and to share how I did it.

I installed the SX using two of the spacers I had still allowing side to side movement and then centered the track with bike. But this caused the strut rod to be at an angle and the chain to be out of alignment which neither is ideal.

So Next I moved the kit over to get the strut rod straight as I could using my eye ball and a ruler. Then to align the chain I pulled the keyway and spacers off the shaft leaving just the sprocket on the shaft to spin freely and move side to side and used my cordless impact to spin the counter shaft sprocket and chain which seems to pull the sprocket in line and self align the chain. And I am going to build new spacers for the sprocket.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
To far;) now wouldn't Timbersled be able to make one being that they have the 01 measurements? They made the lt fit kit off these measurements?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wonderdummy

Premium Member
Dec 27, 2007
They probably could but when I talked to them they said they were busy and weren't sure when they could get them build.
I am pretty confident I am on the right track. I started up the lathe last night and made my first couple cuts should have them build by the weekend.

I guess I was just looking for some reassurance that I was on the right track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
aint it fun!

you are on the right track. It is little known to most that the timbersled kits are not centered on the bikes. They produce a universal kit and then to fit different bikes they let it be off center a touch to align the jackshaft and countershaft sprockets. A purist would center the track on the bike and then make corrrect jackshaft spacers for the jackshaft sprocket to line it up with the counter. When I build kits I have a narrow straightedge I use to align the 2 sprockets, then I space it accordingly. The straightedge is narrow to clear the frame of the bike to get an accurate alignment reading. Some machinist measuring tools are handy (telescoping gauges, etc). So you can decide if you want to let the strut rod be straight up and down but possibly it and the kit slightly off center to align the sprockets, or center the strut rod and track and then move the jackshaft sprocket on the shaft for chain alignment. Good thing you have the lathe! Get your boring bars all ready and don't be afraid to make lots of spacers and put things together and take them back apart a million times!

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
I just finished turning all my spacers for my CR500 build for my LT kit. I'm not sure if the SX is the same but I can give you the actual dimensions if you need them. As for the strut rod, my kit is a 2013 which came with the strut rod which used the 5/8th inch heim joints which IMO is a way better system then what they are selling now (read here cheap out by TS) because you can align the kit however you like. It's rude what they charge for a few turned down scraps of aluminum stock.

M5

Last edited:

wonderdummy

Premium Member
Dec 27, 2007
Thanks for the advice guys I got everything all built and bolted up. Centered the track and built new spacers for the sprocket used a laser chain alignment tool to double check the chain alignment (couldn't find a narrow enough straight edge) spinning everything over with the impact seemed to bring everything into perfect alignment. Strut rod is off a little bit off to one side it's got heim joints so not to worried about it, but when I get some more aluminum I will build spacers to center it.

Apr 22, 2009
2 1 ft long pieces of 1/4 inch key stock up again each sprocket overlap them in the center if they lay flush and straight you are good

Premium Features