• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avid Products Carb Heater, APT and PWK

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Installed the first Carb Heat System on a Service KX500AF.

The install was fun and easy with the six sided Thermostat housing; the positions are unlimited for any make or model, two stroke or four stroke. The Carb Collar installed with the HPS Silicone lines was quick and clean. After a thorough warm up, the stat opened right on que. The Carb Heat Collar quickly warmed to "hot to the touch" then stabilized. I felt inside the Collar to feel the carb's "bell"; the collar's conduction is near 100%, the Bell or venturi was the same temp as the heat collar. Very exciting results for everyone, two stroke or four stroke! We are making great progress in system accessories to make the snowbike experience trouble free all season.

P1010013 small.jpg P1010017 small.jpg P1010015 small.jpg P1010014 small.jpg P1010016 small.jpg P1010018 small.jpg

Last edited:

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
Let's see some pix Randy!

sounds like a great package.....thanks.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey everyone,

Here is an update I hadn't addressed earlier. We found an insulated, heat resistant Aerospace sleeve for the "hot line". Resistant to 2500F, it can be tucked in along the right side near the pipe or cylinder without worry. It is also extremely wear and abrasion resistant. Having this sleeve over the hot line will greatly aide in maintaining good "hot" temps in the inner HPS hose, shielding it from the cold and snow. We have carefully considered each piece of this pkg to address every detail in function. This is one piece that will be a nice benefit. I will be photoing each component and addressing each in the complete package soon. Here are some insulating sleeve pic's.

P1010016 small.jpg P1010020 small.jpg P1010019 small.jpg

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
First installs of the Avid Products Carb heat system. With everything in the pkg together, it is an awesome system. The Carb was put in the freezer for about 6 hours. The Heat collar was heated around the edges with a torch until just "hot to the touch", align for your proper fitting placement then slide it on. Once temps stabilize they become one. The Billet Thermostat was a snap with all of the options available with rotating the two halves to align with your hose fittings. The insulated sleeve slid over the "hot line" and all clamps tight it was finished. The engine temp issues and carb heat solved with one super nice system.

P1010004 small.jpg P1010009 small.jpg P1010019 small.jpg P1010006 small.JPG P1010010 small.jpg P1010023 small.jpg

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
very nice

I ordered a bunch of robbies thermostats with a temp sensor hole so we can use temp gauge with it in one simple step. I will have units for sale along with all the other snowbike specific products needed. Thanks randy for getting this all going.

S

skippy

Nov 27, 2007
I just received my heat collar package today . Opened the package up and was surprised that it was blue in color and not just billet.... Anyone know why it's blue? Thanks

Sickness

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Denver, CO
These are all going on KTM's right! Blue and Orange...Go Broncos!

Are they all going to be blue? Not that I care, I'm good so long as my hair's on fire and there are pine branches sticking out of everywhere, just curious

Ah, ha ha....got my parts, man Slavens is fast, ordered on Tues, got them Wed, I'm only 50miles away but damn thats fast. I have to do this build in stages as the cost of the parts is staggering! I have to recover/forget how much the last bill was before I can order more....and I have to order more, this IS the ULTIMATE 300 build and I'm following Randy's lead. Thanks Randy for all this info! No need to reinvent the wheel.

The Inquisition, let's begin...

EGT- my KOSO rapid just showed up, months before I can use it, 1250 WOT is where you wanna be, so are you just adjusting fuel/air ratio, richer cooler, leaner hotter basically? Im guessing that since EGT is an engine limitation, that its the the best you can get and does not change with altitude

Rekluse Clutch- can you tell me again the benefits of a $900 autoclutch on a snowbike, I saw before where you said 'you don't need it but', can you give some instances of the benefits. I may have answered my own question this week when i came upon a nasty rock section and in trying to clutch and push the bike up over the rock an autoclutch woulda been the perfect tool.

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
I just received my heat collar package today . Opened the package up and was surprised that it was blue in color and not just billet.... Anyone know why it's blue? Thanks

That is what Randy wanted. Nothing is written in stone here. If you want natural aluminum then so be it.

S

skippy

Nov 27, 2007
The blue looks super sweet! However, I'm sending this one back to exchange for the all natural look. Do you have natural ones made up and ready to ship? Thanks

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
As far as the rekluse I have used it on my original snowbike and it was nice to have if you have a kickstart only bike since it will not shut off when you drop it and will slip the clutch just perfect while still having an override... As far as dirt I love it.... It shines on gnarly sections and gives you a rear brake which comes in handy all the time... That's my 2 cents.... I will always have one on my bikes. Keep in mind it takes a few rides to get used to it on the dirt because it demands a little different riding style... The biggest downfall is no more pop starting....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
bleed holes

I opened up the housing and was surprised to see the stat has 2 weep holes in it, I though one point of the bypass was to eliminate the bleed by to the radiators? I understand the bypass is there to heat the carb and also to get hot coolant to the stat so it opens on time, but I was hoping for no bleed holes. Very nice machining and product, maybe the bleed holes aren't a big deal and if they are not a hard fix really.

photo(11).jpg

Last edited:

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Secondly, We have all struggled with the engine temp/thermostat issue. All bikes will benefit from a thermostat. After countless hours of testing over the past four years we have learned a lot. The straight through designs have a small leak port allowing some coolant to always cycle through your radiators. That is why they steam after start-up in the parking lot. In cold/dry pow, that small amount constantly cycling through your cold radiators defeats the purpose and temps seldom rise to acceptable levels. The stat that has NO bypass but a recirc line from the stat to the water pump cycles cylinder coolant in a closed loop. This systems allow the engine to quickly warm to operating temps and when you're in the cold pow, the stat closes and the coolant system is not used. The cylinder coolant simply cycles around and around keeping temps much more acceptable. An added plus is the recirc line is feeding the cold return line preventing any "cold shock" when the radiators become active. We decided to integrate the need of a closed thermostat system with the Carb heat system complimenting each other.

This thermostat is sealed, no leak through, and a ricirc fitting. Each half of this housing can be turned or clocked in 6 positions by rotating the two halves to make a perfect fit on your particular bike.

It is Billet aluminum.

maybe I am missing something, I blew thru it all sealed up and air definintly gets by the stat.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
maybe I am missing something, I blew thru it all sealed up and air definintly gets by the stat.

Yes, we discovered that as well. We had a sample "brass stat" that I do not recall having the ports. This order of the new stainless ones surely do. The stats we have currently for orders will be sealed before packed and shipped. For the folks with one in hand, they are quick and easy to seal. A little dab of JB weld, or an epoxy for metal. You simple put a drop in the port, smooth it out and let it dry. Don't get any on the edges where the rubber gasket goes. The other is a simple electric solder gun. Solder a drop in each port. They will all be shipped sealed.

This is very important for the 4-stroke applications. The 2-stroke not so much. It will not affect the carb heater. For the 2-stroke guys who have received one already, I would consider sealing them optional. The stat will still open and close at 130F and the carb heat collar will still be receiving straight head temp fluid, however, they will all be sealed before shipped.

Last edited:

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Yes, we discovered that as well. We had a sample "brass stat" that I do not recall having the ports. This order of the new stainless ones surely do. The stats we have currently for orders will be sealed before packed and shipped. For the folks with one in hand, they are quick and easy to seal. A little dab of JB weld, or an epoxy for metal. You simple put a drop in the port, smooth it out and let it dry. Don't get any on the edges where the rubber gasket goes. The other is a simple electric solder gun. Solder a drop in each port. They will all be shipped sealed.

cool, sounds good. I just wanted to add that the materials and service from avid and robbie (and you too randy) are top notch, this is no big deal, I just wanted clarification, thanks!

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
That is what Randy wanted. Nothing is written in stone here. If you want natural aluminum then so be it.

Yes, we wanted the anodizing for corrosion protection and greasy finger prints etc. Keeps a nice shine. We discussed some color options and I made the choice for blue thinking it would be fairly neutral and look nice and go with Honda, Yamaha, KTM , Husky, Burg's, etc etc etc. We will be shipping them natural Billet.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey everyone. Avid is making a modification to allow the Trail Tech water temp probe to mount in the thermostat housing. Also we found a fitting to use on current systems. This will be for all 4-stroke and 2-stroke thermostats. I will post pic's soon.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey guys. Here is the drawing for the universal carb jacket. This fits both ends and all carbs nicely. I use 4mm neoprene as fabric. You can use that from Seattle Fabrics or cut up an old pair of Gortex snow pants etc... I cut a small vent hole in the center bottom for any moisture. Also I cut a small hole for the fuel line on the left side. Pinch a spot for the fuel nipple then cut a tiny hole that is a tight fit for your fuel line. Be sure to cut the hole low, at the base of the nipple on the carb. It is easy to error a little high. If you have questions on this drawing, please ask for clarification. Thanks

P1010034 small.jpg

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Hey everyone. Avid is making a modification to allow the Trail Tech water temp probe to mount in the thermostat housing. Also we found a fitting to use on current systems. This will be for all 4-stroke and 2-stroke thermostats. I will post pic's soon.

Any word on this?

Premium Features