• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Could this be the future technology for sleds???

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Polytec, half the weight and half the cost. Seems brp has figured out that the higher the price of the equiptment the higher the age of the average rider and the lower the number of participants in the sport. With this technology a sub 400lb sled would be easy and actually affordable to many more people. Could a mostly composite sled be coming in the near future?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=d5jrYu5bm6k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GZVMB3iGLmI

I'd like to give kudo's to snowmobiler for bringing this up on another forum.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/d5jrYu5bm6k?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Polytec, half the weight and half the cost. Seems brp has figured out that the higher the price of the equiptment the higher the age of the average rider and the lower the number of participants in the sport. With this technology a sub 400lb sled would be easy and actually affordable to many more people. Could a mostly composite sled be coming in the near future?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=d5jrYu5bm6k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GZVMB3iGLmI

I'd like to give kudo's to snowmobiler for bringing this up on another forum.

Wow, that is pretty cool. I think there is promise there.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Sandman:

This looks really cool, and I think parts of it could really apply to sleds.

The part of bolting on extra hull to extend swim platforms and bouyancy, gets you thinking!!

I have a SeAdoo RXP, and it would be FANTASTIC to have the hull configured to be able to remove the top 2/3's of the hull to get at the engine. The part that they removed looked really light, the whole boat looked really light!

If this stuff was strong enough to "snap" together, I could see sleds being manufactured so you could snap off a damaged tunnel and snap on a new one.

Thanks for posting this, I really love innovation, and aspects of this will be in snowmobiles, probably BRP leading the way on this one..........

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Not sure how it would apply to sleds? Structurally it would end up so bulky to be structurally sound. Would need a good size semi vertical beam from the rear drop bracket to the steering post, triangulated down to the front shock towers but right in the way of all that needs to be a motor and a gas tank. Then has to withstand close quarters of 1200 degrees and direct contact with gasoline. Heat exchangers then added to the bottom of the plastic instead of being combined as part of the structure?

I'd feel like I was riding a power wheels barbie dream jeep

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN

Come on Josh!! The Barbie Jeep is Pink. They make other colors you know!! LOL

With these materials getting stronger and stronger, who knows what the possibilities are

PWC were built a certain way for years, then BRP thought out of the box and all of a sudden there is a whole new design, made out of materials that were not available 10 years ago.......

Maybe sleds have some of the same possibilities for change?

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
I tell you what if they build that thing for 5,000 they wont be able to make enough of them, i'll get 2 or 3 I was lookin at the Polaris 1000 utv, over 20k with a few options, that's totally INSANE for what your getting....they should do a sled,pwc and utv all around the same price point. And that way you are buying your toy with cash, not getting ripped off only thinking of the monthly payment deal.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
It could easily be applied to all markets. ATV's, side by sides and sleds.

I would love to see and I don't for a second think that BRP isn't already testing it in those markets. That right there is enough to make me keep holding out on buying a new sled.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I tell you what if they build that thing for 5,000 they wont be able to make enough of them, i'll get 2 or 3 I was lookin at the Polaris 1000 utv, over 20k with a few options, that's totally INSANE for what your getting....they should do a sled,pwc and utv all around the same price point. And that way you are buying your toy with cash, not getting ripped off only thinking of the monthly payment deal.

Yep, the BRP rep said they will be $4,995 and a totally loaded model will max out at $6,200. They are light enough that 2 on the BRP trailer will be under 1500lbs so almost anything can tow them. HUGE market!! And its not like they put some cheap, underpowered powerplant in them, that's a great engine. It will be interesting to see how this sells. I bet they can't build enough.

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
Not sure how it would apply to sleds? Structurally it would end up so bulky to be structurally sound. Would need a good size semi vertical beam from the rear drop bracket to the steering post, triangulated down to the front shock towers but right in the way of all that needs to be a motor and a gas tank. Then has to withstand close quarters of 1200 degrees and direct contact with gasoline. Heat exchangers then added to the bottom of the plastic instead of being combined as part of the structure?

The different types of poly these days it wouldn't shock me if they have come up with some stuff strong enough for most sled structure parts, but not all. The real issue would be the possible big swing in temps, Poly no likey too hot or too cold. One can dream

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
we have a fx waverunner, its a 2007, its a 1000cc with 140 hp. Its really all you need, the 1200 polaris two stroke tripples had that much hp and this is way better on fuel. Like really do you need 250-300 hp watercraft? i need glasses at 55 mph and the tears pour out my eyes.

saying that that 900 ace will be a blast with that light of craft, also i would much rather have 2 water craft than one, acctually i think i could buy 3 for the price of the fully loaded sea-doo/waverunner at the price of those.

i think this is where they needed to go to stay alive, look how many companies dropped watercraft, honda, polaris, tigershark whos next? kawasakis line up looks way smaller now........ $16,000 water craft? serious?

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
we have a fx waverunner, its a 2007, its a 1000cc with 140 hp. Its really all you need, the 1200 polaris two stroke tripples had that much hp and this is way better on fuel. Like really do you need 250-300 hp watercraft? i need glasses at 55 mph and the tears pour out my eyes.

saying that that 900 ace will be a blast with that light of craft, also i would much rather have 2 water craft than one, acctually i think i could buy 3 for the price of the fully loaded sea-doo/waverunner at the price of those.

i think this is where they needed to go to stay alive, look how many companies dropped watercraft, honda, polaris, tigershark whos next? kawasakis line up looks way smaller now........ $16,000 water craft? serious?

I would agree. My 04' RXP has 215 hp. It is incredibly fast, but drinks gas WFO at a rate of 16 gallons per hour.....

Bought it to pull two barefoot waterskiers and a really huge inflatable that has tons of friction.

Having to do it over again, if this was available, I would have bought this.........

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I would agree. My 04' RXP has 215 hp. It is incredibly fast, but drinks gas WFO at a rate of 16 gallons per hour.....

Bought it to pull two barefoot waterskiers and a really huge inflatable that has tons of friction.

Having to do it over again, if this was available, I would have bought this.........

They dropped sea doo boats too. What about just bringing the littlest one back with this technology? I would buy that for the small lakes around the city or on our river. The funny thing in the next bay to us at the lake i guess a bunch of guys switched to yamaha jet drive boats cause the bay is full of rocks, i think they are just too expensive, most people i knows first boats a 17 ft with a 4.3 v6 a couple years old. How with a mortgage payment, car payments, school loans are young people going to buy a 30,000-50,000 boat for 2-3 month of use? I know guys with $70,000+ wake boats boats on 10 year payment plans.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I tell you what if they build that thing for 5,000 they wont be able to make enough of them.

The least expensive 2 seater advertised at $4,999
BUT
Fine print indicates that this price does not include freight or set up.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Possible to integrate a poly/composite structure into a complete sled... tunnel and bulkhead all one piece with other key elements...

Heck... lots of people said the Pro RMK cast bulkheads would not be durable... and that was a step outside of the box..

Would like to see what rolls out of the Sled mfgs in the next few years.

Light and nimble and deep-snow capable... not as much power needed for many to have fun!!

Keep on Trukkin!

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
Possible to integrate a poly/composite structure into a complete sled... tunnel and bulkhead all one piece with other key elements...

Heck... lots of people said the Pro RMK cast bulkheads would not be durable... and that was a step outside of the box..

Would like to see what rolls out of the Sled mfgs in the next few years.

Light and nimble and deep-snow capable... not as much power needed for many to have fun!!

Keep on Trukkin!

That really is the key, for the most enjoyable experience lighter is always better, allows you to run less power and have freedom with many complicated design aspects. Do it Doo, the rest will follow.

Premium Features