• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Power valve hose?

C
Dec 16, 2008
What is the hose that goes to each power valve for? I noticed today that one of the has a small tear in it, what effect would this have?

O

otterpoo

Jan 17, 2010
Far East, Maine
I thought I read some where here that blocking off the hoses to the power valves help them keep open in lowere RPM's. Please feel free to corrects me and chime in with some info.

O

otterpoo

Jan 17, 2010
Far East, Maine
Hose goes to solenoid which is controlled by ECU. When ECU commands solenoid to close, cylinder pressure can now build on underside of bellows to overcome spring pressure and open exhaust valve.

What is the negative effect if this is done? Is there ant HP gain or noticable difference?

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
I am going to bypass the solenoid on my 975 when i get it running again and see how it works. just going to put plugs on the valves and let engine pressure open them. there are several discussions about the pros and cons in the iq section and performance mod section.

what i got out of them was it will let the valves open sooner creating less heat in the pipe and not so lean mid range. with the torque of the 9 i would venture to say we could leave the valves open -- high port all the time and it wouldn't hurt it too much but that is just my opinion.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
i agree with BD...i am also going to try and plug mine and see what happens..

but wont be for at least another week..still need my shock repaired. :(

but anything is worth a shot..if its not worth while, its a 30sec job to put back to normal..

O

otterpoo

Jan 17, 2010
Far East, Maine
I just finished mine the other day along with the valve cleaning with brand new springs, bellows, and gaskets. Still haven't had a chance to take it out on a real run yet.

This is from a 2005 Switchback 900 with 4,200 mi. at time of purchase 12-23-09. I bought this from a dairy/compost farmer, and I don't think he did proper maintenance on his' sleds. "Had the farm hands do his sled maintenance" he said.

DSCF3407.jpg DSCF3408.jpg DSCF3400.jpg DSCF3401.jpg

D
For those planning on blocking off the exhaust valve vent line, keep in mind the benefits of variable exhaust ports.The idea is to raise the exhaust port at high rpm where a taller port can be used to increase power. A tall port at lower rpm reduces effective stroke and results in less power. Best of both worlds. Good topend without affecting midrange. By blocking vent you will now be relying on spring to keep valve closed until needed. Example would be an 800. First you would have to determine what RPM the valve should open then play with different springs. Seems like a step backwards to me.
I wonder if any of the ECU reflashes out there change when the solenoid is commanded on?

Last edited:
P
Feb 22, 2009
so would this give you more torque off the start?? I dont need to fly around at like 95 miles, but like to feel it grab at first.....and what will happen when you run this at WOT??

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
by plugging the vent lines on the valve what you are doing is allowing the valves to open when the pressure rises enuff to overcome the spring pressure and then the valve opens gradually as pressure rises unlike when they are controlled by the solenoid. the solenoid closes and the valves slam open all the way so basically they are open or closed.

A

ADHD

Nov 29, 2007
Minnesota
valves

When you guys check your valves is there slop between the shaft and its bushing? I just bought an 05 900 and when I checked the VES there was a considerable amount of play/slop. I dont remember having that much clearance in any of my other sleds with VES.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
BIGGDAG have you changed the springs at all or are you just running the normal springs with the valves plugged then

as of right now i am running the stock springs. i have a set of lower tension springs to try. we just got a foot of snow so i can get out and do some testing if i ever get the honey do lists done :face-icon-small-con

P
Feb 22, 2009
hmm this is all interesting....wondering if i should try this...was just reading up on it on the IQ site, i am running an 05 900 and i ride flatland, maybe i should give this a try and see what this does with my sled

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
hmm this is all interesting....wondering if i should try this...was just reading up on it on the IQ site, i am running an 05 900 and i ride flatland, maybe i should give this a try and see what this does with my sled

it wont hurt it and it is quick and easy to do. i used caps so it didn't have extra volume but you can just block off each hose if you like.

O

otterpoo

Jan 17, 2010
Far East, Maine

I ride flat on a 05 900 and it seemed to make an improvement in the bottom and mid range rpm. I am going to play around with it some more to compare plugged and unplugged, but havent had enough snow to really make a real opinion.

This is a bit off subject, but how the he$& do I edit my profile user name. I am computer retarded at times.

Last edited:
Premium Features