• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

xp rear suspension

E

ezimm

Dec 7, 2007
Hailey Id.
Im thinking about changing my rear suspension, any feedback would be great. Its between holz Alpha skid, mt tamer, and ez ryde. Let me know your thoughts. Its a 09 163xp:cool::cool:

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The Alpha is a great skid, durable and lots of adjustability.....keeps the skis down better than the old style Holz.

D
Oct 13, 2008
Haven't ridden one, but I ride with a couple of guys that have the Mtn tamer and they really like them. But them again Brew is always a good one to listen to. I do think that you would be happy with any of them.

C

cog

Dec 7, 2007
I have the Timbersled lost near 20 lbs and totally changed the handling on the hills, went from out of control to complete control, I'm 68 so control is very important to me.

LEFT SIDE VIEW.JPG

"Im thinking about changing my rear suspension, any feedback would be great. Its between holz Alpha skid, mt tamer, and ez ryde. Let me know your thoughts. Its a 09 163xp "

What are you trying to accomplish? your pretty vague. Do you have handling issues, want a softer ride, less ski lift, want something pretty?
Have had really good reports on the fox air shocks durability in the long sc-5 skid...rode two last winter...mine is getting the upgrade before the snow flies. Much improved over the stock X shocks. JM$.02:beer;

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Im thinking about changing my rear suspension, any feedback would be great. Its between holz Alpha skid, mt tamer, and ez ryde. Let me know your thoughts. Its a 09 163xp:cool::cool:

IMHO...

have all 4 shocks rebuilt/revalved to stage 1 specs by Fett Brothers $210...then get the next stiffest rear springs $90...

this "mod" for roughly $300 makes your summit ride/handle like it should...

as for the skids mentioned...I like the mountain tamer and Toms set ups...BJ

Last edited:
U
Nov 29, 2007
rear skid

The springs BJ mentioned made a huge difference I am happy with the rear shocks on mine on the front I would agree with BJ front.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
IMHO...

have all 4 shocks rebuilt/revalved to stage 1 specs by Fett Brothers $210...then get the next stiffest rear springs $90...

this "mod" for roughly $300 makes your summit ride/handle like it should...

as for the skids mentioned...I like the mountain tamer...BJ

I did this..... big ole difference!!!!!!!!

R

Reno Tom

Jun 16, 2009
I have Tom's suspension on my 154 and love it.Great in all conditions

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Have you looked at what Racers Edge is doing? Makes it much better for much less $, super quality from these guys.

If you are interested let me know as we will be handling their products this winter and can get the info you need.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
I really enjoyed the suspension package that I purchased from Toms Snowmobile last year. THe custom valving that Tom put together for the fox shocks and the improved rear arm makes a great difference. I have a lot more usable suspension stroke and I can adjust for any style and weight of rider. I liked the fact that I got to use the stock skid (which is a great skid with a few small changes) instead of buying all new stuff. Sleds are expensive as it is and I hate it when I have to take brand new stuff off and put it on the shelf.

E

ezimm

Dec 7, 2007
Hailey Id.
cdnsleddog

That's a good question. I want a better ride - absorb bumps better and a better shock package. Is there something else you would recommend?

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
heres one that just rolled out of the shop in the spring. we did some testing and while not much we really enojoyed the timbersled. right away noticed the xp sag was gone. gave an extra inch of height and like mentioned 15-20lbs lighter and does not hold snow like the stock skid. the ride and bump absorbtion was way better with the geometry of this skid. but like i said we didnt get into dialing it in. only rode for a couple hours if that being june 16 and all haha

small1.jpg

small4.jpg

small3.jpg

D
Jul 4, 2001
Central Alberta, Canada
TTT....no comments on the KMOD? How about Tom's EVO.

Also....since Timber, Tom's and KMOD all run Fox air shocks.....how do these shocks stand up to "linebacker-sized" semi-aggressive riders? I have heavy rear springs now in order for the thing to be stable with my fuel caddy, tunnel bag, and 275lb bulkness.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Dave... i dunno about all the new skids out there but i do know sending my shox , all of em , to fetts and buying the hillclimb rear shok made a world of difference on mine. Ive decided I dont want air shox again. Been there done that. Ill take the few lbs over not having to have a pump with me and chipping ice and snow off of valves all the time. sj

Premium Features