• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Things that are a "big deal" on here that aren't IRL

halffast800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2011
Hazel SD
Don't own a pro so just asking...

What's your take on importance of replacing front/rear bumpers and adding tunnel supports?

I think the best possible mod is Preventative maintenance and not being an idiot....

Bumpers are crap on the rear. I love the Polaris option for front and rear

Tunnel supports you are on your own

Being an idiot ain't so bad

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Don't own a pro so just asking...

What's your take on importance of replacing front/rear bumpers and adding tunnel supports?

I think the best possible mod is Preventative maintenance and not being an idiot....

Just to ride it, the stock bumpers are fine. The rear could be replaced to tow (which I'll end up doing) or the strengthen the tunnel for damage from wheelies or whatever. Tunnel supports - I dunno. Great if you hit something just hard enough that it would have bent the unreinforced tunnel, but not hard enough that you bend it anyways. Like you say - not being a savage goes a long way.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Lowered port timing

Gearing without clutching

Burandt boards

Blowhole/ venting

Unscarred panels

Other people's brand of sled

Oh and etec's

Last edited:

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
NOT:
Big Bore
Gauge Lifter
Head Light Delete
Non Stock skis

Do's
36" Front ends
Lower Gearing
Proper Clutching
Lower and narrower bars
Mike Taylor Footwell vents
OFT Steering blocks
NXT-LVL vented Windshield Bag,
Removable water proof tunnel bag
Lower/Narrower Seat (I'm OLD less to jump over)
Fox Float Front shocks

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
After market hood and side panel venting. Factory scratchers do the job. Never had a overheating problem. 125-127 all day.
I never had the foot well vents, never felt the need to. Seems everyone that has them here on Snowest gives them a thumbs up.

I love my Polaris gauge lifter bag. Fits perfect. I can fit my water bottle, ibuprofen, home made venison jerky, goggles, fold out saw, and Jimmy Johns phone number in there. And I don't have to take my avy pac off.
The older I get the more I like stock. I just like to ride them.

If you are old like me you will remember this from the movie.
Oddball: [chuckles] I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work.:eyebrows:

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
After market hood and side panel venting. Factory scratchers do the job. Never had a overheating problem. 125-127 all day.
I never had the foot well vents, never felt the need to. Seems everyone that has them here on Snowest gives them a thumbs up.

I love my Polaris gauge lifter bag. Fits perfect. I can fit my water bottle, ibuprofen, home made venison jerky, goggles, fold out saw, and Jimmy Johns phone number in there. And I don't have to take my avy pac off.
The older I get the more I like stock. I just like to ride them.

If you are old like me you will remember this from the movie.
Oddball: [chuckles] I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work.:eyebrows:
You don't have to be old to remember Kelly's Heroes.

B
Jan 30, 2010
Northern BC
To continue with what icr said above on lower bars; the fad to no longer use handlebar risers.

Also the fad that grab straps are now for rookies. They add no weight and at times are handy. Why not have it.

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
Big deal:
Skinz NXT Level low rise seat
RSI low rise handlebar
Sled Solutions handlebar bag
Pick your flavor, quality suspension
snow evacuation boards (pre 13 model year)

Not a big deal:
Aftermarket "can"
Polaris brand hand guards

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
As the title says....what are some mods, or things on sleds that seem to be a big deal on the internet, but are disappointing or inconsequential real-life. A couple for me:

1) Painted/powdercoated/wrapped tunnel and other parts - rails, etc. Was excited for this change, but long story short, the snow still sticks to all of it. IF you are a guy who's sled is always covered in snow - this will change very little. Is there some improvement? Depending on snow conditions, yes. Is it night and day? Absolutely not. This actually seems most dependent on the rider and snow type - rather than the brand of sled or amount of paint/powdercoat/wrap coverage.

2) Cutting the tips/nubs of your track. This is a very short story - if you want maximum powder/deep snow performance - don't do it. We had 2 very similar Assaults out with the 5.1 - one stock, one with the nubs cut off, and the cut one is noticeably sucky-er in deep snow. In harder pack, I imagine the opposite is true. Making the track stiffer is going backwards for deep snow. Choose wisely depending on what conditions you prefer.

I actually find the thick smooth shinny Arctic FX tunnel wraps sheds a lot more snow than the bare aluminum tunnel. Not sure about the painted ones. Trust me I rode the same sled both ways. I am not affiliated with or sell Arctic FX and would imagine any good quality wrap would do the same.

Premium Features