• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

installing new lighter crank??

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I don't. I wish I would have been there to check it out myself. All I know is that it was a 800 in the new Axys chassis. They were looking it over after it got carted outside from the Expo. When they opened the side panel to check out the engine and clutches they noticed that something was definitely not right when they slid the belt and moved the drive clutch. Truck driver said he was picking it up to get fixed before it went to the next snow show.

I'm honestly not trying to stir the pot here. Mountainhorse said he was looking for info and I am just reporting what I was told by the guy that was there. I know it sounds like another "my friend's uncle heard from his buddy..." kind of story. Just contributing the information I have. The person that saw it firsthand might chime in with more info, but I know he doesn't want to ruffle any feathers either. If there is a widespread issue, not saying there is at this point, I really hope it is straightened out before the snow flies next season.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Hard to guess at what was at the show, no?

Could be a prototype engine, pre-production, last seasons demo sled, older pro engine. Unless someone got a up-close look at it, we won't know what crank in what engine failed.

Further, if it WAS the new style crank in the full out new setup, it could have been abused in thousands of miles. Demo or their own torture.

Last; if one crank broke, what are you going to read into it?? Kind of poor statistics yet..

RS

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Agreed. You wouldn't think they would have a well used machine for one of the show sleds, but you never know. When the old ski-doo 1000 was released, the engine didn't have any guts in it at the show. You could free-spin the primary all you wanted by hand.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Agreed. You wouldn't think they would have a well used machine for one of the show sleds, but you never know. When the old ski-doo 1000 was released, the engine didn't have any guts in it at the show. You could free-spin the primary all you wanted by hand.

The magazine demo rides, in West Yellowstone, are the 2 weeks before expo ,generally, so a lot of the sleds at the expo have 2 weeks of riding on them before the show. Also due to production and development timelines the sleds at the expo, in March, are usually built in December if you ever check the VIN tags so they are far from finished products.

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
from what I understand the hand built proto motors were working great the issues started showing up unbelievably fast when testing began on the PRODUCTION motor.
I dont believe it is a design issue more of failure on multiple vendors side

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
from what I understand the hand built proto motors were working great the issues started showing up unbelievably fast when testing began on the PRODUCTION motor.

I don't doubt that...

You are in the "know" how?

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana

Sounds very similar to the issue with the drive train on the 13' model year sled. Proto worked awesome and the production part actually had some "quality" issues.

Anything is possible.

E
Jan 4, 2013
No issues with the 14 Iqr crank. Engines were bullet proof. Polaris race department does not risk their reputation on the track. Their has been no comments on failure. The crank is not the issue. The problem will be with the supplier.

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
Wondering if the 2014 600 IQRs were problematic with this crank in it?

Those would have shown up on the race circuit... any ISOC guys out there??

I am around a couple of the MN race circuits along with being buds with a couple of the guys that do cranks and engine's in the area. Had more issue's with the early 08-09 IQR cranks, 08's did not have the big bearing, think early 09's where the same (not sure). I remember seeing alot of ruined cases those years on the 600r engine. Have barely seen any from 12+, 14's haven't seen or heard of any personally. One thing to think of though with quality race teams, is they aren't leaving there PTO bearings on very long. No matter what long stroke crank I yank (800CFI or 600r) that PTO bearing is usually getting loose.

I groove the 600r cases to get more gas out to the outer bearing, that along with injecting a bit of oil into the PTO injector port (premix sleds).

Someone was asking about big bore's and pipes, high altitude stock pipe and can exit is pretty good, sea level you might want to start thinking of opening up the exit a bit more. I know BMP offers different can's for certain big bores. They get good results without them, but do pick up a bit on top with the big bore cans. I've tested a 860 on a monoblock (and probably will run one this year) and it worked great with the Dynoport pipe and silencers made for the 800 conversion. Sorry off subject, but if your doing the crank, might as well big bore it as well!

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anch, AK
I will say the 14 iqr I rode last season was very smooth and spooled up very quickly. He raced sno x and cross country with zero issues on either sled.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Anyone following through with installing this crank in the LE motor?
Has anyone looked at the new oil-grooved pistons in the LE as well?

Premium Features