• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

thinking of getting an m1000 need advice

rmk8000

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2013
saskatchewan canada
I'm currently riding a 2014 ski doo xm but am only putting on 150-200 miles per year mostly in saskatchewan. Usually only get one day a year in the mountains. I think I have way too much money tied up in something I rarely use. I found a clean, low mileage 2008 m1000 162 that I could trade my motorcycle for and then i could sell my xm.
Am I crazy thinking of going back to an older chassis? Are they fairly reliable/cheap to repair?
With mods are they decent for tree riding? I really love the xm chassis but think I might like money in the bank more lol, even if it means going back to an outdated chassis. Not to mention, this 1000 probably has a few more horses than my xm and the owner says it wasn't a belt blower.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
A few thoughts...

As I've owned a few M-series (including a VERY well setup 1000) - I can tell you this:
- The M1000 doesn't like to be trail ridden - the mapping is fat on bottom, and lean in the midrange. This however can be tuned out of them with a pipe set and fuel controller
- Fuel economy is non existent with the mighty 1000 - that sled will burn a LOT more fuel then your XM.
- The XM's power to weight ratio stock is better then the M1000. With a few mods (fairly inexpensive) - that changes very quickly. The 1000 has way more torque then the etec. Expect to do a top end rebuild at 2000 miles, bottom end at 3500 as a minimum.
- an 08 M1000 is considerably heavier then an XM, especially in the nose. Suspension isn't what I'd call "plush" on rough trails...
- If you love the ski-doo riding position and the way it handles, you likely won't be happy on an M-chassis. They work very well in the trees, but a different riding style is required vs. the XM

Don't get me wrong, I loved my M1000. But it wasn't stock either. If I had the choice between the two machines for your application, the XM would win hands down, if both machines were stock. With some mods however, the M1000 is tough to beat

rmk8000

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2013
saskatchewan canada
Thanks for the advice. I guess I would probably be smart to keep my xm. Probably by the time I spend money on mods and possibly fully rebuilding the engine within a few years and extra fuel cost I don't think I would save as much money as I thought.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
As I've owned a few M-series (including a VERY well setup 1000) - I can tell you this:
- The M1000 doesn't like to be trail ridden - the mapping is fat on bottom, and lean in the midrange. This however can be tuned out of them with a pipe set and fuel controller
- Fuel economy is non existent with the mighty 1000 - that sled will burn a LOT more fuel then your XM.
- The XM's power to weight ratio stock is better then the M1000. With a few mods (fairly inexpensive) - that changes very quickly. The 1000 has way more torque then the etec. Expect to do a top end rebuild at 2000 miles, bottom end at 3500 as a minimum.
- an 08 M1000 is considerably heavier then an XM, especially in the nose. Suspension isn't what I'd call "plush" on rough trails...
- If you love the ski-doo riding position and the way it handles, you likely won't be happy on an M-chassis. They work very well in the trees, but a different riding style is required vs. the XM

Don't get me wrong, I loved my M1000. But it wasn't stock either. If I had the choice between the two machines for your application, the XM would win hands down, if both machines were stock. With some mods however, the M1000 is tough to beat
My thoughts exactly. I still own one and do ride it occasionally, but the newer chassis are much easier to handle and maintain.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
well said

more low miles clean m1000's around than any sled
because no one really liked to ride them stock
lots of them with done or cooked or about to be roasted dd drives
find one cheap enough they can be made into mtn sleds
stock they are a dud in the hills

Premium Features