• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Short box (5') Tacoma for hauling a 165 track sled?

S
Sep 25, 2023
Squamish, BC
Has anyone hauled a 165 sled in the bed of a short bed (5') Tacoma?

From my measurements, it's looking like it might be borderline dangerous with about 60-70% of the sled hanging out the back and it obviously will look ridiculous. I measured up my buddy's 23 Tundra and although it's only half a foot longer on paper, a lot more of the sled we'll be supported by the truck bed.

Had the Taco for 4 years but can get decent money for it as I've kitted it out as an overland rig. Just sell and get a full size truck with 5.5" bed?

Any pics and/or advice are greatly appreciated.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Full size truck and 5.5' bed doesn't go in the same sentence ;)

You see Tacos all over western BC hauling sleds. It looks ridiculous, but obviously can be done.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
The heavy part of the sled lands in the truck bed, so with tie downs it would be fine. But I agree it looks ridiculous, and you might even get pulled over for it.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
Has anyone hauled a 165 sled in the bed of a short bed (5') Tacoma?

From my measurements, it's looking like it might be borderline dangerous with about 60-70% of the sled hanging out the back and it obviously will look ridiculous. I measured up my buddy's 23 Tundra and although it's only half a foot longer on paper, a lot more of the sled we'll be supported by the truck bed.

Had the Taco for 4 years but can get decent money for it as I've kitted it out as an overland rig. Just sell and get a full size truck with 5.5" bed?

Any pics and/or advice are greatly appreciated.
My riding buddy does it with his 165 doo from time to time. It looks kinda funny but he doesn’t have a problem hauling it. The brands generally center weight at the front of the seat and that should be in the bed no problem.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I rarely haul my 155" in my 1500 Silverado, but when I do it tends to bottom out on road bumps. Not bad, but annoying. I would have to believe it would be worse in a Taco? Not that it's a huge deal, but I wouldn't want to put up with it.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
It’s sketch, but you’ll fit right in. Maybe put a monster sticker on the back window. Haha

Last edited:
B

big_red1a

Oct 23, 2008
Braaamp.com makes a single deck that sits above the wheel wells on a taco, also supports it at the back about $2200 CAD

djdj

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 1, 2022
Colorado
Madramps is what I am using for my short bed F150. It has a hitch mounted beam with a track support that not only extends support for the track, but also takes the weight off of the tailgate. Not the cheapest solution but works well for the short bed.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I used to haul my 165 Ski Doo in my 5.5" Ford Raptor bed with a custom single sled deck/ramp I had made.

My buddy hauls his sled in a Honda ridgeline with one of these its a bit weird looking but it works.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I used to haul my 165 Ski Doo in my 5.5" Ford Raptor bed with a custom single sled deck/ramp I had made.

My buddy hauls his sled in a Honda ridgeline with one of these its a bit weird looking but it works.

I can't seem to edit my posts, I meant 5.5 Foot bed

Also I think Tacomas are narrower between the wheel wells, so I don't know if that marlon works on them. But it works on my friends honda ridgeline lol.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
One of my buddies bought a 2011 M8 about 10 years ago and loaded it the back of his 1997 Tacoma... 40" ski stance... one ski had to sit on top the wheel well along with it hanging way out the back!

Premium Features