• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Curious how a Proclimb Compares to Semi Mod M8

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I am thinking about a 2014 Proclimb M8000 162" Limited. However, I haven't even driven a sled with the Proclimb chassis. So, I am wondering how it would compare to my 09 M8 153" with the SLP Stage 3 kit, 2.6" powerclaw and now a 36" front end? Would I love it or hate it? I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
The 09 isn't going anywhere. I have been getting pressured by the family and some friends to ride snowmobiles again. I have been snowbiking the last two seasons and it's been a blast but, you end up riding with all new people and well, my family and friends I have ridden with for years have kind of been left behind. So, I had an idea. I will put my snowbike on Craigslist and say I am willing to sell it or entertain trades for an adventure motorcycle or a 2014 or 2015 snowmobile.

So far, I have had guys with a Triumph a 2012 Tiger 800XC, a 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere, a 2004 KTM 950, a 2011 BMW R1200R, all want to trade for my snowbike. Today I had a guy with a 2014 M8000 162 Limited with 941 miles ask if I want to trade. Since I have never ridden one, that's why I am asking for your opinions.

If I sell the snowbike, I will need another sled and the 2014 might work out well but, I really want to try the M8 with the 36" front end.

Here's my Craigslist post:

http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/5137348048.html

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
That makes sense. I am in the same dilemma to the point of being close to getting out of it all together.

Let me know how it goes and give me a shout if we have snow this year. This is my make or break year. lol

racert17

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2008
kelowna bc
I had a 11 M8 standard, I rode it 2 seasons and it was one on the best sleds i have ever rode, i made the mistake of selling it and buying in the polaris hype and bought a pro 155...biggest POS i have ever ridden.
I sold it and bought a 2014 snopro 153, put a can on it, set of mds weights and rode it, took me awhile to get the pressures in the floats right, well sort of right, i just couldn't get them exactly where i wanted but close enough, great sled, compared to the M...the 14 would eat the M on rough trails, through tight trees...i would say its a toss up, down hill pow turns..cant beat the old M.
you cant go wrong with the 14 and up snopro

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Actually, I am riding a Cat now (my M8), I rode my Yamaha RX-1M for years, before that I rode a Skidoo.

I have never had a Polaris before. I know the new 2016 models are the ones everyone want but, I found a 2015 with 162 miles on it with the Terrain Domination (Walker Evans) shocks and a 163" track I really like it as something new. I am still playing with the idea and the guy doesn't seem to want to budge on the price so, it may never happen. The idea of a 417 lb. dry weight really appeals to me......

R
FYI....my buddy bought a new Terrain Dominator last year. Its been in warranty 4 times already.
He had 13 miles on it, driving in the ditch and the carbon fibre glue structure snapped in half. Had to get towed home.
All sorts of issues. He does like it though. It is just as heavy as anything else when it is stuck. We shovelled each other out for 4 days in BC. It is a nice looking sled..coming from a Cat guy.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks for the helpful information guys.

It sounds like I should pursue the 2014 Cat instead?

Does anyone else have any info to add?

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
I have a 13 snow pro and a 15 Pro TD. The cat has more power and is more fun to ride in the open. In tight trees and technical terrain the Pro just does not ware you out like the cat does, on edge the Poo has a wider sweet spot than the cat and my 13 was a wheelie monster, skid mounting position addressed that on the 14 but also brought an aluminum gear in the chain case. If I remember correctly, I would check that out as several had trouble with it. They are both great sleds. My Cat became an even better machine with a post forward kit and a Team secondary.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks for the great comments. All I do is ride technical stuff in the trees. Coming off a snowbike, I will really need to do that to keep my sanity. That's why I installed the 36" front end on my M8, so I can pick my way through the technical stuff easier. The Pro just sounds like it might be better for that application.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Thanks for the helpful information guys.

It sounds like I should pursue the 2014 Cat instead?

Does anyone else have any info to add?

put the pro gripper skis on it right out of the gate and the sweet spot is much larger than with the stock skis.

hyvo chain and manual tensioner is the next must for the 14.

i did the above with oil delete, slp full pipe set, pcV and a tether you loose almost 30 lbs of it.
puts you at 445/170hp=2.61
pro 417/150hp=2.78 hp to weight
axis 417/160=2.60

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
My 09 M8 is at 425-430 lbs and 170hp right now and it won't cost me another dime!

Sounds like I am already there. :face-icon-small-dis

Last edited:

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Im on a 09 m8 and ride with all brands nobody is going any where im not or any faster than i am. they dont appear to turn any sharper around trees or other features than a older m series.in fact in some conditions the newer sleds do not do as well.Other than just buying something new and modern i can see no reason for switching. And i know everyone says but the new sleds dont make you tired but unless your a decrepid old man there not that much better.Dont take it wrong im not saying there junk or anything just saying to me theres no reason other than to just have the newest thing. Oh and you know in the beginning the proclimb was just that now some how its magically a m sled again Thats like calling a edge a wedge not even the same machine i wonder why hmmm.

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Great points Hardass. I do love my 09 M8. However, the deal I am being offered may just be to hard to pass up.

There was the 2014 M8000 162" Limited. Now the is a brand new 2015 M8000 153 Snowpro Limited. I guess people really want snowbikes? We'll see how this whole trading/swapping thing pans out. Sometimes words are just words....

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I don't know if I am done snowbiking for good. I think it's just for now. I will buy another one some time down the line if I really miss it. The advancement of the sport is so accelerated that a two year old kit is left way behind.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Here's the impressions I have between the two chassis.

M-series pros:
Holds very steep side hills a little better. Narrower a-arms may actually negatively affect this.
Very predictable handling in all aspects: up, down, and sideways.
Very wide balance point.
Easy to work on under the hood.
M-series cons:
Suspension leaves a lot to be desired on anything rough. A Pro RMK still feels like this too.
Feels a little more planted and not as easy to initiate a roll up onto its edge. Narrower a-arms will help you out here.

Proclimb pros:
Easier to initiate the roll to its edge.
Responds to rider input quicker.
Suspension is much better in every aspect.
Handles cutting across rough, rutted, trenched out hillsides well without bucking the rider.
Much more predictable to jump (if you are into that sort of thing).
Proclimb cons:
Not quite as easy to hold extreme side hills without narrowing the boards and sucking in the side panels.
Some of the bodywork seems cheap and will require a little silicone to seal up some gaps up front.
Working on anything under the hood takes more time.

My favorite thing to do is ride steeper treed hillsides and I won't go back to an M-series. A 2014+ proclimb is just a way better all around sled. You do have to ride more forward on the Proclimb and ride with your feet up towards the footwells as your natural position. Once you do that it becomes easy to ride. If you try to ride it like an M or Pro RMK with your feet set a foot back all the time you will fight it.

As a side note, my Pro-Lite sled was weighed on a set of scales and came in at 540lbs wet with a spare belt, tools, and muff pot. My buddy's lightened M7 was 548 in the same trim. I have the 38" front end set on the wide setting and his was stock 40" set narrow. Sitting next to each other in the parking lot, mine was significantly easier to roll side to side and tip up. So there is more to be said about weight distribution and centralization on a sled than just it's weight number.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Here's the impressions I have between the two chassis.

M-series pros:
Holds very steep side hills a little better. Narrower a-arms may actually negatively affect this.
Very predictable handling in all aspects: up, down, and sideways.
Very wide balance point.
Easy to work on under the hood.
M-series cons:
Suspension leaves a lot to be desired on anything rough. A Pro RMK still feels like this too.
Feels a little more planted and not as easy to initiate a roll up onto its edge. Narrower a-arms will help you out here.

Proclimb pros:
Easier to initiate the roll to its edge.
Responds to rider input quicker.
Suspension is much better in every aspect.
Handles cutting across rough, rutted, trenched out hillsides well without bucking the rider.
Much more predictable to jump (if you are into that sort of thing).
Proclimb cons:
Not quite as easy to hold extreme side hills without narrowing the boards and sucking in the side panels.
Some of the bodywork seems cheap and will require a little silicone to seal up some gaps up front.
Working on anything under the hood takes more time.

My favorite thing to do is ride steeper treed hillsides and I won't go back to an M-series. A 2014+ proclimb is just a way better all around sled. You do have to ride more forward on the Proclimb and ride with your feet up towards the footwells as your natural position. Once you do that it becomes easy to ride. If you try to ride it like an M or Pro RMK with your feet set a foot back all the time you will fight it.

As a side note, my Pro-Lite sled was weighed on a set of scales and came in at 540lbs wet with a spare belt, tools, and muff pot. My buddy's lightened M7 was 548 in the same trim. I have the 38" front end set on the wide setting and his was stock 40" set narrow. Sitting next to each other in the parking lot, mine was significantly easier to roll side to side and tip up. So there is more to be said about weight distribution and centralization on a sled than just it's weight number.

^^^^^^^^^^What he said!!!

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
Frostbite:

What is your opinion of the 36" front end on the M? I'm assuming your using alt impact?

I'm kind of in the same boat as you I have a 2010 M8 and love the thing but every year all my buddies buy new sleds and I feel the pressure to upgrade. I've tried a couple newer sleds but nothing feels "good enough" to make me want to drop the 14,000$ on something. Plus with riding Motocross in the summer I gotta keep my finances in line.

My plan is to swap a 2.6 powder claw in this season and possibly to a front end swap...

Premium Features