• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Burandt Boards

155Assault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Meridian, Idaho
Maybe there's someone that can convince the bean counters at Polaris to throw out the castings and replace them with forged parts.

Burandt Boards fit all 2011-2015 Pro chassis 155" and 163". You can put them on a SBA, but they are narrower. So, you'll leave about an inch of old running board up front (custom cutting). Better to get Airframes or B&Ms for the SBA.

Thanks for the tip. I have a 155 Assault RMK, not a SB, so there shouldn't be any issues.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
the board kit comes with “gold” colored rivets. they look like different than a typical rivet. can these be replaced with black regular steel ones?
it seems odd to have gold rivets with black boards
thx

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I would not replace them. The gold rivets are tough as nails and are in the kit for a reason.

Anyone glue the boards along the inside edge, where you rivet. Essentially gluing them to the tunnel?????? Is it worth it or just a big glue mess???

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
the board kit comes with “gold” colored rivets. they look like different than a typical rivet. can these be replaced with black regular steel ones?
it seems odd to have gold rivets with black boards
thx

You can use "Polaris" black rivets.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I don't have first hand experience with the Burandt Boards, but I highly doubt the gold rivets are anything more than zinc chromate(prevents rust) coated steel rivets. Just use any steel rivets and you'll be fine. Stainless steel, although not quite as strong as steel, should be just fine as well.

As far as gluing them on, that's a lot of overkill for a marginal improvement. Not worth the mess. And it won't be fun if you ever bend one up and need to replace it.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I would not replace them. The gold rivets are tough as nails and are in the kit for a reason.

Anyone glue the boards along the inside edge, where you rivet. Essentially gluing them to the tunnel?????? Is it worth it or just a big glue mess???

The "gold zinc" rivets are a high strength rivet... Ok to use a another if it is a high-strength rivet.

Eric,
There is a black rivet available from PI that will replace the 7661637. It was used to rivet the black bulkheads together. I'll post the part number.

I can't confirm the case question.

Edit: I will physically check but think they were 7661638

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Thanks for that info TRS!

I've bonded mine with the lords adhesive... It was very straight forward BUT... you have to be swift and lay out all of your items... do a dry fit practice run so that you know everything fits... plus... tape off the tunnel-side. Don't use too much adhesive and you won't have too much squeeze-out.

Bond, rivet, pull tape, and clean up with denatured alcohol all within a 2-3 minutes.

I feel it adds buckle-resistance to the weak area of the tunnel.

Is it overkill... probably... but I had the adhesive, and like the extra measure.

I did have to remove one side when I damaged the board (don't ask).... heat gun and a couple of wedges and it came right off.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Bond, rivet, pull tape, and clean up with denatured alcohol all within a 2-3 minutes.

I am going to need a hand. Only one other thing I can do in 2-3 mins.... :face-icon-small-dis

I might bond them. Make me feel better.

Other question is, there is 3 spots on the boards that are not predrilled, that could potentially have rivets. Has anyone gone to the work of drilling those out and installed rivets. I think the part that concerns me would be a nice counter sink that looks factory.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I am going to need a hand. Only one other thing I can do in 2-3 mins.... :face-icon-small-dis

I might bond them. Make me feel better.

Other question is, there is 3 spots on the boards that are not predrilled, that could potentially have rivets. Has anyone gone to the work of drilling those out and installed rivets. I think the part that concerns me would be a nice counter sink that looks factory.

In Sportserdanne's NyPRO build thread he did exactly that; for a visual and for reference check post #209 here: http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348197

Granted the dimensions are in the metric equivalent, as he is in Sweden.

The extra rivets are a good idea as is the bonding even as anal as I am over every gram.

That said, If bonded I wold be comfortable even using cheap aluminum hardware store variety pop rivets as you will only really need them long enough to hold a consistant gap and position for the adhesive to kick.

That is my approach to my builds with the Carbon Fiber tunnel sides and center sections as well. FWIW

Q
Mar 11, 2011
Olds
Not sure about you guys, but when I did mine, the aluminum was flying everywhere when cutting(I used a die Grinder), so make sure you cover the engine compartment with something so all that sh!t doesn't wind up in your motor.

A
Nov 11, 2010

I think mountianhorse did this, maybe send him a PM.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
On my builds I use a hard template that I secure with small countersunk screws, thru the rivet locations, (hard template above the bend). Then I use a router with a good carbide following bit and with the router underneath (unless the sled is liquid free and invert able) follow my hard template. That is the cleanest way to get professional results. You guys with stock sleds will fight the rear suspension drop bracket though, you would have to finish that few inches by hand. I run the EZ-Ryde so there is nothing below the board for me.

FWIW

Premium Features