• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

be carefull locking the motor to adjust clutch

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
If I need to hydraulic it off, my fluid of choice is acetone. No residue, no rust, no excessive cleaning like with oil or grease, just a quick wipe with a clean rag after the pop. Done!

SnoDmon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lewistown, MT
You guys act like you've never had one seized on the crank. When a ratchet, clutch holder and heat have failed, where do you turn? A guy like caper who's got the clutch off every hundred miles is in a different boat than a guy with an old hi mileage engine and a broken clutch that's never been removed.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
You guys act like you've never had one seized on the crank. When a ratchet, clutch holder and heat have failed, where do you turn? A guy like caper who's got the clutch off every hundred miles is in a different boat than a guy with an old hi mileage engine and a broken clutch that's never been removed.

Hydraulic method. It works very slick on stubborn clutches. The first time I tried it I used a 3/8 ratchet and used my hand to hold the clutch.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I've had many a clutch turn my pullers into corkscrews, with the slow steady Force of a breaker bar. I have one of those pullers that I cut the corkscrewed portion off of and use it with acetone, it has not failed me yet.

I will not use heat, hammer, or an Impact; if my intentions are to reuse either the clutch or the engine. You can say I'm too particular, anal, or a dick; I don't care, that is just the way I am.

Feel free to continue to do what you like, I'll add you to my "do not buy from" list.

D
Lots of way to skin the cat. Bottom line to me personally is the standard clutch puller tool is too small for what it has to do. Does it work? Yes, most of the time. Does it scare the crap out of you when it explodes and you wonder what broke? At any rate we use water and the stock clutch bolt and they pop right off without putting undue force on the crank or having to heat the clutch. The most important thing is to use what works for you and gets the job done. Lots of good ideas out there. Thanks for sharing them.

Premium Features