• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lost all pressure on break?

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
So going down the trail i suddenly had no breaks on my 2007 m8, later that day i got stuck with my front end a lot higher then the back and the break came back completely from sitting like that for awhile, then i get back on flat ground and 5 minutes later no breaks again.

What could be the issue? I have plenty of break fluid in it, only thing i can think of i a air bubble but i dont know how that would of magically showed up since i havnt touched anything in that area?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
It does sound like an air bubble. If you haven't messed with the brake then it's probably from a breach in the system somewhere. I'd follow the whole thing from caliper/reservoir, the brake line, down the caliper. If there's a hole in there that will easily get a bubble going.

Bleed it regardless.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
No track swap. Curious what would that have to do with the breaks?

Yeah i guess i just need to bleed them and make sure theres no holes in my line or anything like that, really just curious how i could of got a air bubble in it without touching it and having enough fluid

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
No track swap. Curious what would that have to do with the breaks?

Yeah i guess i just need to bleed them and make sure theres no holes in my line or anything like that, really just curious how i could of got a air bubble in it without touching it and having enough fluid

Moving the caliper around to deal with the brake/rotor/driver shaft could either knock loose a bubble that was hanging out in the caliper or cause damage to the line if you pinch it.

Throw your e-brake on overnight. See if feels weird like you need to pump it up when you release in in the morning. If so you've got a good amount of air in there. Look really closely along the line when you check it out. It doesn't take much of a hole to leak or introduce air. Sometimes rubbing it with a paper towel will show you if you have any fluid on the outside of the brake line.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Buddy had a similar issue on his m7, brakes would work one minute then stop then come back again. I believe his caliper was hanging up or something, I can't remember if he rebuilt it or just tore it apart and cleaned it but its been fine ever since he took it apart.

K

kingkat1150

Jan 27, 2010
belgrade mt
no break

My buddies 07 M8 did that two seasons ago. We found that the pistons in the caliper were stuck. I was able to free them by taking the pads out and gently pushing on the pistons with a pry bar and squeezing the break lever to move them back and forth. they work great now and has instant breaks .

Premium Features