• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

getting rid of the 02 sensor "pipe sensor"

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
Been thinking about getting rid of this lately. basically it changes your mapping from when your sled is cool as to when it is hot....so no need for it if you always warm your sled no? then you could get rid of the anoying flashing light on the guage cluster whenever the sensor goes bad.....i know how to fool it just seeing what you guys think.

Most of the thought ive been putting into it has come from tunning bikes on a dyno with a PCV where i turn off the 02.....should still work with a dobeck style box.

Just .02 i had anyone else think about this?

Last edited:
A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I don't believe it is an O2 sensor it is a temperature sensor. And it does change the resistance throughout it's range. So the way I understand it, it is constantly changing as the pipe temp changes.

I know some guys have been running a resistor and I suppose that works OK, but to be what AC would say is perfect it needs to see the different amounts of resistance to adjust.

I just installed the Chevy one this weekend. Pretty quick fix, Ill see how long it last. About 1/3 the cost of a cat sensor.

Thunder

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
I don't believe it is an O2 sensor it is a temperature sensor. And it does change the resistance throughout it's range. So the way I understand it, it is constantly changing as the pipe temp changes.

I know some guys have been running a resistor and I suppose that works OK, but to be what AC would say is perfect it needs to see the different amounts of resistance to adjust.

I just installed the Chevy one this weekend. Pretty quick fix, Ill see how long it last. About 1/3 the cost of a cat sensor.

Thunder

it is the same concept as an 02 sensor, works on a 0-5v scale. if your holding your pipe temp continuously it would be constantly the same....for example. im a tree rider constantly wide open or completely off and moving at slow speeds. pipes are wrapped to hold heat. if i tell it to hold a hot map all the time i can more precisely tune my transition points and overall my sled as per a warm running sled. this will be more lean thus cleaning up the bottom end a little.

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
Ttt.... Let's hear some more input fellas

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
The one thing I have never got an answer on is if it controls the timing, which it very well could and if you tune egts to the same as stock the sleds run the best because you are matching all the right variables. I say leave it

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
Pipe temp sensor affect the timing. And you would be baffled if you knew how much the temp in the senter section swings when on off trottle.
I say leave it there

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

K

kcdavidak

Dec 4, 2007
ketchikan,ak
sensor

tried a 480ohm resistor in a m1000 and it was a pig cold and ran ok at best when hot. put in new pipe sensor and it ran way better fwiw .

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Interesting topic I was wondering about this the other day as I was reading some dyno tech articles bc Jim always makes mention of unplugging it to make it go to default setting which is optimal . Wtf Jim I want to know more ! Lol

D

dynotechjim

Nov 26, 2007
Batavia, NY
www.dynotechresearch.com
The temp sensor in the pipe center section is critical for best all-around performance. At temps below @1000f the ecu retards timing to increase ex temp to get pipe up to optimal temp more quickly. If you unplug the sensor the ecu seems to default to max timing but it will take a longer time to get the pipe up to optimal temp for max HP plus you get some annoying blinking dash light. Two guys have come to Dyno tune with some sort of inline resistor to replace a fried sensor that eliminates the blinking light but really goofed up the way the engine ran--both guys wound up cutting the resistors out and made way more HP. The sensors aren't cheap but the sleds do run better with them in place.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Does the Chevy senors provide the exact same data to the ECU as the Cat sensor?

Or is the data being sent to the ECU somewhat skewed by using something other than a factory sensor?

D

dynotechjim

Nov 26, 2007
Batavia, NY
www.dynotechresearch.com
The two guys I referred to both had radio shack resistors recommended by someone on the Internet. As I recall those resistors made the engines pig fat, so it's possible that they were fooling the ecu into thinking that the pipe was severely overheating causing it to go into protect-me mode.

matt159

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Southwest Iowa
Use the GM sensor.

I tried 2 different resistors to replace the temp sensor when mine failed... a 560 ohm & a 470 ohm.

I did the 560 1st & it worked great top end, but mid-range was not clean and low end had a high idle and sputtered a little in the trees, but it was rideable.

Then I made one with a 470 just to see if that was the answer. Low end was perfect. Idled at normal rpm, started easier & midrange was clean... but it lost performance above 7500 rpm, so the resistors don't work as well as the sensor.

I bought the GM sensor for $30 & it works perfectly. I keep the 560ohm resistor plug along in case I have a failure on a trip... the 560 works a helluva lot better than a failed temp sensor.

Sensor resistance (ohms) is nearly identical at each temperature according to this chart posted a couple years back.

picture.php

Last edited:
D

dynotechjim

Nov 26, 2007
Batavia, NY
www.dynotechresearch.com
I'll get one of the Chevy temp probes just to have as a spare for the dyno--great deal for $30. Are we lucky enough that the plastic wire connector and steel metric threaded pipe bung connector are correct, or do we just reuse the ones from the defective Cat probe?

matt159

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Southwest Iowa
I'll get one of the Chevy temp probes just to have as a spare for the dyno--great deal for $30. Are we lucky enough that the plastic wire connector and steel metric threaded pipe bung connector are correct, or do we just reuse the ones from the defective Cat probe?

The probe threads into the bung fine... but the GM connector is not the right one... so you'll have to break out the soldering iron to save yourself $80.

arcticcatwill

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, id
I ran the resistor in my M1000 for a couple hundred miles while waiting for the gm one. Only thing I noticed (after retuning) If you idle and ur pipe temp drops, like coming down a hill, the sled puked for a second getting back on the gas. Low pipe temp even with the motor at operating temp. My EGT's were a lot more consistant though.

Will

Premium Features