• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What's it take to make a 15 handle?

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Build a sled for yourself and nothing else will compare until you build the next one for yourself.

There is nothing wrong with the Pro chassis but some like to set up a little more personal.
For me the first year was a bit more swing in the skis and a little less swing in the bars and more forward room in the foot wells and enjoying.
Second year was suspension. Front shocks that I could tune without swaybar and rear set-up that gave me the adjustability of more front rail contact in hardpack while retaining the ability for the best rail angle for deep snow that came stock.
Third year was traction.

I was a bit more patient with this one because it ain't all that bad stock. Better than most but now it's the best handling most awesome performing sled I've ever owned,,, until the next one.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Wyo, I went with float R's with alt impact 36" front end. Ended up having to ditch the swaybar and cranking up both main chamber and evol pressures abit along with a couple clicks higher on the rebound setting to compensate for the swaybar and it became the most predictable sled I have riden yet. Runnin pro-motion as well but removing the swaybar was a night and day difference, but I do not feel the stock shock/spring combo would be able to compensate for the sway bar removal.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Adjusted again to spec, ride today and had a blast getting into some terrain no one has ever been into :) great day.

But its still a joke imo (I can't find a single use for this setup compared to what it could be) reminds me of the 09 Ms, still usable though, rode the p1ss out of it today and trust me I got everything it had to offer. Had some awesome pulls but it also put me in a bind a few times where imo it shouldn't. I guess once you actual have a suspension that works (it all started with holz setup on my 09 m1k) you just can't have suspensions that don't.

Every time it gets tight and you have to flip it on edge it take 1-4ft more room to get it on edge and turning. Once I get the suspension worked over I'm sure it will transition and turn the way I want and much like my cat.

Everything Trs has said on this sled makes 100% sense.

I got my answers

Thanks

One more question, how tight should the track be, mine is tight!

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Adjusted again to spec, ride today and had a blast getting into some terrain no one has ever been into :) great day.

But its still a joke imo (I can't find a single use for this setup compared to what it could be) reminds me of the 09 Ms, still usable though, rode the p1ss out of it today and trust me I got everything it had to offer. Had some awesome pulls but it also put me in a bind a few times where imo it shouldn't. I guess once you actual have a suspension that works (it all started with holz setup on my 09 m1k) you just can't have suspensions that don't.

Every time it gets tight and you have to flip it on edge it take 1-4ft more room to get it on edge and turning. Once I get the suspension worked over I'm sure it will transition and turn the way I want and much like my cat.

I got my answers

Thanks

I sent you another PM.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT

I got my answers

Thanks

But really, suspension doesn't matter on a mountain sled. I know because I hear it on SnoWest all the time :face-icon-small-win

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I rode his '15 yesterday and will say it was a pogo stick and bucked you around like crazy. My old 12 Pro with raptors was a dream to ride in comparison. He needs better shocks or a revalve.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I rode his '15 yesterday and will say it was a pogo stick and bucked you around like crazy. My old 12 Pro with raptors was a dream to ride in comparison. He needs better shocks or a revalve.

That has always been my complaint of the stock valving. The clickers are worse. Pogo stick is a great analogy.

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
I am on vacation and have no time to post because my wife is going to kill me if she catches me on snowest while we are supposed to be well... on vacation.

I know exactly how you feel, I have been riding for 20+ years - this was my first on a pro and it was not working for me - I will pm you (when I get home on Sunday) with what I figured out - mostly riding style - but once I figured it out, I love it. If you are used to brute force technique, the pro won't respond. I felt like a beginer on mine and was embarassed to post on here and ask for help. Got a few good suggestions and figured a few things out on my own, now I love it.

Wierd thing is there are a lot of people that just get on them and they feel right at home. Hard for me to understand because it took some serious seat time and a lot of reading for me to get comfortable.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I only see the problem in hard pack snow. It takes a lot of effort to pop on to one ski to carve a corner. I have both the standard and clicker shocks on a 14 and a 15. The sled with the cheaper shocks does feel much lighter. I believe the far forward spindles makes these sleds respond a bit slower but also makes them stable on the side hill. I do have one of my sleds narrowed and it is much more tippy. This is good until you get tired and try to ride on 2 skis on a slight side hill. With the Pro it must be on 1 ski all the time to ride at full potential.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009

Just a question - do you think all stockers need to be revalved with a more aggressive rebound tune?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Just a question - do you think all stockers need to be revalved with a more aggressive rebound tune?

All four shocks need to be revalved, some comp and rebound, one needs a replacement spring, all need the bleed hole drilled out. It needs a complete package to make the chassis work.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
again for those of you that think it takes time to learn to ride it. It took me about 3 minutes to ride it and know the shocks were off. when it comes down to it,,, I ride the chit out of it and only one person around here will attempt to follow and many times you can't follow because once I blow the track out through the trees its near impossible to do again. Its a fun sled but after you have had some of the best and rode all the sleds setup right. You would think the same. try it some time you will be amazed.

And yes, all new sleds need better valving and rebound! Why do you think there are aftermarket companies.

Further more TRS knows his sleds, the guy is the real deal.

Its pretty cool that of all places CODY, WY has by far the best dealers I've ever seen when it comes to performance and making a sled work. The cat guy can be a dick ;} but he does a good job and is one of the best riders around. the doo & pol guy is one of the nicest guys and rides hard as well. Above all there stuff flat works! {Having TRS there on the pol side, they have the results!}

Last edited:
R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Why do we have to put up with such crap stock valving? What is it set up for? As far as I could tell they sucked on the whooped trails and in the pow. 5 rides on my 13 when it was new I was contemplating a new skid and front shocks but glad I tried the cheap way cause of budget and did a revalve from holz. Night and day difference.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
WyoBoy, nice to see you are on the dark side these days.
Coming off my cats including the 12 proclimb it took me 400 miles on the pro before I felt 100% comfortable and to get the stock suspension working the way I wanted. You wouldn't think the change between the two chassis would be a big deal, but I thought it was. I found big changes in handling when adjusting the FTS to my liking. It also took learning to use your feet more to make the pro handle. On my cats I would mostly use upper body to pull them over. I found foot position and technique on the pro did a lot more when it comes to pulling it over. I still think the cats pull over easier but the pro will do amazing things on its side that my cat couldn't dream of. Ski lift isn't as much with the 5.1 as PC on a cat, but to be honest I don't want my skis sky high. From what I have seen running with my dad's 14 PC the pro works way better in the powder with the 5.1. The other day in spring snow was the only day the PC felt like it had more go than the pro so far.

Might I suggest that you send your shocks in and we can revalve your stock shocks, and get them set up properly. They ride after we get done with them almost as well as our Fox Shock setup that we sell with our custom valving. As one of the recognized leading Shock and Suspension dealers in the country, we know how to make a sled handle. If you really want to make the sled run, our clutching setup really brings the sled alive. Night and Day difference when you have the suspension setup properly, and when you have your clutching setup properly to maximize your power delivery to the track. Give me a call if you are interested in getting the most out of your sled!

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
again for those of you that think it takes time to learn to ride it. It took me about 3 minutes to ride it and know the shocks were off. when it comes down to it,,, I ride the chit out of it and only one person around here will attempt to follow and many times you can't follow because once I blow the track out through the trees its near impossible to do again. Its a fun sled but after you have had some of the best and rode all the sleds setup right. You would think the same. try it some time you will be amazed.

And yes, all new sleds need better valving and rebound! Why do you think there are aftermarket companies.

Further more TRS knows his sleds, the guy is the real deal.

Its pretty cool that of all places CODY, WY has by far the best dealers I've ever seen when it comes to performance and making a sled work. The cat guy can be a dick ;} but he does a good job and is one of the best riders around. the doo & pol guy is one of the nicest guys and rides hard as well. Above all there stuff flat works! {Having TRS there on the pol side, they have the results!}

Get a hold of Carl's they really know their stuff they have an excellent reputation. When they get done with your shocks that one guy that attempts to follow you will probably give up. haha Good luck.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I give Polaris credit for giving us the 'clicker' shock option, but wish they wouldn't have quit with the job half done. We need rebound adjustment too. This may not get us the caliber set up the aftermarket can provide, but would sure be a nice improvement.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Carle, I'm sure you can but I will use my dealer first, outstanding customer service.

For the 20th time of getting used to the chassis, just come ride with me please, it might take a little bit too get used to its short comings but why would you want to learn how to throw a sled over 4ft in advance to compensate when it could be setup for instant response. I did that with the old M1000s, then redid suspension. What a waste of time and it instantly took the riding level up.
I guess if your still stuck riding a stocker you wouldn't understand, I know I didn't until I tried it.

Premium Features