• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 M1000 stator?? Fuel? running on one Cyl

M
Sep 18, 2009
Puyallup, WA
I've been doing a little bit of research but couldn't find anything specific on this topic. long story short is the sled is running on one cyl and I cant figure out why...

long story:
last weekend the sled wouldn't start after we stopped to take a break. got it running and noticed the exhaust side cyl wasn't hot. pulled all 4 plugs checked for color. the cyl that wasn't running the plugs were oiled up. changed all the plugs and tested for spark (on all 4). the cold cyl plugs were not firing so we limped the sled on one cyl back to the truck (approx. 30 miles). at the time we thought the (2) coils were bad.

I have a set of old coils from my 10 M8 and swapped those in the 1000. only changed (2) for the cyl that wasn't firing. Started the M1000 up and ran perfectly, both cyls warmed up evenly and got to temp - while idling in the garage. we pulled the exhaust side exhaust valve, inspected, and reinstalled - wasn't gummed up or seized. figured problem solved, game on!

this weekend, same thing. sled was running perfectly for about 3 hours, then just died. pulled the exhaust side plugs and noticed the cly was flooded with fuel and oil. oil was puffing out of the y/can exhaust gasket. with the kill switch off, and both plugs out, we turned the motor over with the pull cord and got the fuel and oil out. tested for spark and plugs were working but cyl wasn't firing. limped it back to the truck.

so now im a little confused because on the first weekend we flat out didn't get spark for that one cyl...now we had spark but the motor seemed to be flooding out?!? or maybe a combo of the two.

anyone have experience, or know a buddys friends uncles cousin who had this problem?

Sled is a 08 M1000, 800 miles, engine is entirely stock, speedwerx can.

biggdaddy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2008
No answers ?

I'm surprised to see no one has posted on this tread. Sorry to be of no help on this one I think you have everyone stumped. Please let us know what you find.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Was there actually raw fuel coming out of that cylinder?it seems as though you fixed the spark. have you checked compression and the reeds.

M
Sep 18, 2009
Puyallup, WA
yeah - when you had the plugs out of that cyl, and pulled the cord, you could see fuel coming out of the spark plug holes. I put my hand over the holes and when I lifted my hand it was wet - plain as day. Reminded me of watercross and motors flooded with water from sinking.

I did suggest at the time there was a problem with the reeds but without being to invasive on the trails we left it for at the shop, same with compression.

the last few days have been really hectic and the sled is still sitting in the garage, facing the corner. hopefully i'll get a chance to tear into it soon.

Last edited:
Premium Features