• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recommendations for a rear skid for a Pro turbo

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
As far as the ability to lift the skis, yes the KMOD will do that. When I first bought the skid, I was running the stock 155 track and stock motor and I felt it was a bit more playful that the stock skid. Now I'm running a Fastrax motor and 156 3" and I was able to dial in to the settings to still keep the front end loose yet not trench like crazy.

Best to call Kevin at KMOD

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The Kmod with raptors is HARD to beat. They flat work, and for the price its a super strong awesome riding skid. If you want things a little lighter you can do a Timbersled with the float shocks, they are a bit cheaper and a bit lighter also they ride pretty damn nice. That being said, if budget allows, my money goes to the k-mod EVERY TIME. They flat get it done.

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
i would reccomend the skinz arc. ive got it on my 155 turbo. ive made some side by side pulls and it can easily be the difference between coming over backwards and making it no problem. i think it works. its a little spendy for what you get but hey if it works, its cheaper than an aftermarket skid.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Is the Arc as good as a full rear skid though. I like the adjustability factor, being able to adjust on the fly. The other skids seem like you would have to set it for a happy medium.

Couple concerns with arc for me. Maybe I am over thinking it. Once you couple with the arc does it change the characteristics of the shocks? They are not set up for coupling or the characteristics. Make sense??

If you think it's really cheaper it's not. Let's say Kmod is $2500, full skid with raptors. I don't remember exact cost. You sell your skid for 800. You have $1700 into it. Ball park.

Arc - $1200. A nice set of rear shocks is what $1500. Sell your stockers for $300. You have $2200 into rear skid.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Is the Arc as good as a full rear skid though. I like the adjustability factor, being able to adjust on the fly. The other skids seem like you would have to set it for a happy medium.

Couple concerns with arc for me. Maybe I am over thinking it. Once you couple with the arc does it change the characteristics of the shocks? They are not set up for coupling or the characteristics. Make sense??

If you think it's really cheaper it's not. Let's say Kmod is $2500, full skid with raptors. I don't remember exact cost. You sell your skid for 800. You have $1700 into it. Ball park.

Arc - $1200. A nice set of rear shocks is what $1500. Sell your stockers for $300. You have $2200 into rear skid.

If you figure it that way you still have the ARC to sell or put on your next sled though... You can't put Kmod on next sled or sell it cause you don't have a skid to replace it with.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
If you figure it that way you still have the ARC to sell or put on your next sled though... You can't put Kmod on next sled or sell it cause you don't have a skid to replace it with.

hadn't thought of it that way .. :thumb:

I am leaning towards arc. Just the voice in my head keeps telling me it wont be the same as have a full skid.

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
can't go wrong

All of the options mentioned are great skids. Having the ability to couple and uncouple your skid at will is a great bennifit. You can do this but then turn around and plant the skis on the snow to climb back out of what ever nasty mess you've gotten yourself down into. I run a Timbersled with the float, float evol combination and couldn't be happier.

20141221_155250(0)-1.jpg

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
I have ARC on my 162 3" and it helps a ton! The ability to change shock valving on the fly is amazing. I lowered pressure in my rear shock and made for better tree riding and can couple the skid without stopping. This allows you to make steeper ascents out of the trees with little or no momentum and not end up digging a hole or flipping over backwards.

If I had this technology when I started this build I would've done a 155 instead of 162.

I understand this thread is about a rear skid for climbing, but after reading your post I suddenly realized that I would like to understand how suspension setup relates to the way sled climbs up on the snow, especially part about "steep ascents with no momentum" caught my eye, because this is pretty much my weakness :) So if I understand correctly the soft (this is what you mean by saying "lowered pressure", right?) rear shock (by rear shock do you mean rear rear shock, or rear front shock? I believe the latter) will allow for a sled to climb onto snow. The downside is that soft setup in the rear will make sidehilling difficult, so ARC allows you to switch between hard and soft? do I need a set of new rear shocks to make a full use of the ARC? Thank you for the explanation :)

by "climbing onto the snow" I mean this moment when you start accelerating and either the sled will trench or just go

P

purepolaris600

Aug 21, 2009
Elkader iowa
I am running stock skid with full exit shocks and am running A.R.C and absolutely love it, now I cant tell you how well arc works because I am not shur if it is just the exit shocks that where setup for ME with turbo, because even without using arc my front stays nice and planted, and when using arc I do notice a little difference, now i can see arc working great if you are using stock shock tho,

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
Coupling example

If you take a look at this video you'll see an example of one of the benefits to being able to couple your skid. The turn out to the left was less than 10% coupled with a shorter run in. The sled went full on wheelie and I was forced to turn out. The center line was 85+% coupled on a Timbersled skid with a very slight in run. As you can see I'm on my way back from passing over the obstacle . It makes that big of a difference.

Premium Features