• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

togwote

F
Apr 5, 2009
Been going out west since 2008 so I've been out there a fee times. Not blessed like some people to live out there and ride every weekend. I just asked a god damn simple question why is it that people on here can't just answer it and let me and the guys I ride with decide weather or not to go there and check it out. Guys in the group have beengoing out the for over 15/years so I'm sure if it looks unsafe we leave.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
let me spell it out for you flat landers = dead guys out west with avi training. all these guys are trying to help you WY is not the place to fawk with avi known areas as they may not give up much half the time but when they go they go big.
you need to know what and how to deal with terrain traps. judging by your attitude your putting your life in the old guys hands, this is fine but know why your doing it!

F
Apr 5, 2009
No because if we ride into an area and they say no we need to leave we don t play around we leave. And you start picking up what to look for when you go into an area. I've almost ran into our guys cause I was looking up instead of on the trail. Why do you guys just forget I ****ing asked the question and delete this post. Obviously a guy can't get a simply answer and make his own judgment calls anymore.

cvanb

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2011
how about some positivity?

I've never posted on here before but always appreciated the comradery and support i usually see on here... no reason for this to be another sh**ty social media site with posts like youtube bagging on people.

We were all young and/or inexperienced once and some of us who've been closer to guys that have been lost on the mountain certainly gain respect over time.

Jules is easy enough to find on the map with the directions you've been given but it is sketchy and a strong potential for a terrain trap in the wrong conditions.

Anyhow, here's a fig leaf... do a google search on Mike Duffy, he does come out to the flat lands to train every year i think still and will probably be at a dealer near you somewhere about this time of year. If not, youtube is good for education at times too and I'm sure you could find some recorded classes on there or Canada snow safety institute (or something like that) put out an extensive series of videos a year or two ago. Or right on this site for that matter: http://www.snowest.com/2014/09/brp-continues-support-of-free

Mainly... be patient and smart (after you get smart with some classes and gear) and you'll find some clean runs that will keep you out of trouble.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
No because if we ride into an area and they say no we need to leave we don t play around we leave. And you start picking up what to look for when you go into an area. I've almost ran into our guys cause I was looking up instead of on the trail. Why do you guys just forget I ****ing asked the question and delete this post. Obviously a guy can't get a simply answer and make his own judgment calls anymore.

Delete your thread if you can't take advice kiddo.

C

Carter

Dec 6, 2007
No its not. Only been there couple times. Found some good areas yes. Steep long climbs not really. So if you don't have any areas to point me to then you can just shut the hell up

Listen kid......we who ride in the mountains are not interested in coming to your rescue when you get caught in an avalanche. And yet we are required to do so because of something called morality. The least you could do is get the gear and take the classes and act like a human being about this or just stay home. You think you know how to ride but your stupidity about this shows otherwise.......get with the program and come and have a blast.......

rabbit hunter

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2012
let me spell it out for you flat landers = dead guys out west with avi training. all these guys are trying to help you WY is not the place to fawk with avi known areas as they may not give up much half the time but when they go they go big.
you need to know what and how to deal with terrain traps. judging by your attitude your putting your life in the old guys hands, this is fine but know why your doing it!

I like how you bash all (flat landers) because of one kid that doesn't understand what he's getting into . You know statistics show locals are most likely to get buried right. It's because there are guys like you who think you are experts on judging when you can push the limits of safe in the avalanche conditions. I'm from mn have been riding west since I was 8 so 22 years I ride around 40 days a season. I know where jewels bowl is and I will ride it when conditions are safe. We ride turbos so it's fun to get out of the trees once in a while. We all where beacons and airbags and it's not uncommon to be looking at jewels bowl wishing it was safe to climb that day and have a group of residents fly by and start hitting the hill two at a time. What I'm saying is it's not where your from it's what you know.

O

oneal30

Nov 6, 2009
Rapid City, SD
Jewls Bowl

My intention on asking where Jewels bowl was to avoid it just incase I unknowingly come upon it. I have been to Tog twice, and certainly don't call myself an expert in knowing this area.

However, I do carry a beacon and a bag. I practice and drill as often as possible. I've taken the Duffy classes, and do as much as I can to be prepared for an avalanche.

I realize I open myself up to criticism here by all the self proclaimed Avy experts on here, but I'll tell you my biggest weakness as a back country rider. It's the ability to tell myself NO.... Its difficult on a blue bird day, pristine powder, and in the adrenaline of the moment to say, "Stay off that slope." It's a skill, and a self dialogue that I try to have throughout the day.

Just my two cents.

rabbit hunter

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2012
My intention on asking where Jewels bowl was to avoid it just incase I unknowingly come upon it. I have been to Tog twice, and certainly don't call myself an expert in knowing this area.

However, I do carry a beacon and a bag. I practice and drill as often as possible. I've taken the Duffy classes, and do as much as I can to be prepared for an avalanche.

I realize I open myself up to criticism here by all the self proclaimed Avy experts on here, but I'll tell you my biggest weakness as a back country rider. It's the ability to tell myself NO.... Its difficult on a blue bird day, pristine powder, and in the adrenaline of the moment to say, "Stay off that slope." It's a skill, and a self dialogue that I try to have throughout the day.

Just my two cents.

It would be hard to stumble upon jewels bowl. It's a pretty nasty drainage in and it's hard to find with just directions. If you do ever end up in the bowl you will know you found it.

Seedie_Man

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2008
Park Rapids, MN

Just my two cents.

I guess I started this by giving some friendly advice to "very careful" in Jewels Bowl and that in my opinion it was a "death trap".

Just like Rabbit Hunter said and what I eluded to it's not a travel through spot. It can be a bit of a challenge to get to it. The danger is that it is exactly what its called, A Bowl, 3 sides that could potentially come down with very few if any safe areas if that were to happen.

I have not been back in that area (Bonneville Pass) the last few years because the snow pack has been so unstable I didn't want to risk one of my group making a mistake and going where they shouldn't be.

One of the earlier posters gave some general directions to get there, so when you asked where it was at, to me it sounded like you were fishing for specific directions. Which I guess you were, but for a good reason. Not because you wanted to go push your limits with this "dangerous" hill. I just didn't want to be any part of the latter.

Have fun and be safe.

Steve

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
Class:
Four Hour Avalanche Awareness, Avoidance, and Rescue
State:
Minnesota
Date:
Fri Dec 5, 2014
Time:
6:00pm
Directions:
Star West Motorsports
471 Babcock Blvd West (Hwy 12)
Delano, MN
www.starwestmotorsports.com
Additional Details:
“Avalanche Awareness, Avoidance and Rescue” Updated and revised presentation. Learn how to avoid deadly mistakes, what equipment works best, human factors in avalanche accidents, how to rescue effectively, increase your chances of surviving an avalanche, evaluate terrain, avoid terrain traps, recognize trigger points, analyze stability
Cost:
$49. All participants receive a discount on avalanche gear.
763-972-5045
tstifter@starwestmotorsports.com

Link to instructional DVD
http://avalanche1.com/product/instructional-dvd/

he'll also have them for sale at the class of course.
I'd suggest both for you.

Last edited:
M

mnrmkrb

Oct 7, 2008
No it was not ment for the MN section. If there was a place in the the state of MN I'd drive to it and bring someone with me from the group but I've never seen one around here

I am from southern MN and I have been through 2 avy training courses in the past 6 years. I did not drive further than 1 hour to attend both of the classes.They have these classes all the time all you have to do is look and be smart about riding out west.I contacted my buddies I ride with and we all went got good information and had some beers after.

You my friend are the ones from MN that give us flat landers a bad rap...

E

eman0993

Aug 19, 2009
Duluth, MN
I am also a flat lander who rides mtns. My first trip of the season will be Tog as well. Before we leave I will be practicing beacon search in the back yard. I also took a class last winter Duffys very good class and would do it again. My group I'm going with will also be coming over sitting in my garage and watching a avalanche safety course DVD. I have all my own gear. Beacon tracker 3 and a float throttle 22. It's a good piece of mind for me knowing my stuff is taken care of and will work when or if I need it too. I hope to never have to use my beacon but I'm still smart enough to have one. It maybe another person or more in another group you save. Hope everyone has a fun and safe season it's upon us.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD

Do yourself, and all other flatlanders that ride out west, a favor and delete this post. You came off extremely arrogant and catered to all of the stereotypes westerners have of a typical flatlander. If you can afford to go out west you can afford a used Tracker DTS beacon (along with your buddies so you guys can practice) and a FREE Ski Doo Mike Duffy avy course. He also had a DVD out that covers almost everything from his basic course. You have a lot to learn, do yourself a favor and kindly take the advice of the people that are trying to help you out. It will keep you and everyone else safer in the backcountry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

BallsDeep_5280

Oct 16, 2012
CO
It always amazes me that people think beacons save lives. Beacons are corpse finders.

If you think wearing a beacon and carrying a probe and shovel is your magic force field against avalanches, then you are just not realizing the severity of an avalanche. Owning the gear is step 0.01. Practicing with the gear and becoming efficient in using it is step 0.1. Taking a class and gaining training and knowledge about terrain traps, decisions making, route finding, group dynamics, and snow science is where the rubber meets the road. Without practice and knowledge, you can wear 50 beacons and carry 20 shovels and you'll still be screwed when an avy finally breaks loose on you.

Here is a simple question... What is a flux line?

If you cannot answer that simple question immediately, then you shouldn't be putting yourself in avy terrain. It's pretty eye opening when you actually get put into a situation where you need to use the "magic" life saving equipment, and all you and your friends really know how to do is change the batteries and turn it on and off.

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
end of excuses get your *** to mikes class.

December 2 Amboy- Avalanche Awareness, Avoidance and Rescue.

Classroom session. 6pm-10pm Monday.

Location: 217 East Main St. Amboy, MN Across street from Trailside Sports in Amboy Snowbirds building.

Details: Cost: $49. Discount on avalanche gear for all participants.

December 6 Delano- Avalanche Awareness, Avoidance and Rescue.

Classroom session. 6pm-10pm Friday.

December 18 Monticello- Avalanche Awareness, Avoidance and Rescue.

Classroom session. 6pm-10pm Wednesday.

Location: Moon Motorsports. 3613 Chelsea Road W. Monticello, MN

December 20 Cannon Falls- Avalanche Awareness, Avoidance and Rescue.

Classroom session. 6pm-10pm Friday.

Location: Cannon Power Sports. 31663 64th Ave Cannon Falls, MN

Sponsor Links

ca_logo_4c_blk klim brp-logo ac-logo ortovox-bluergb_0 bca_logo vmrg tekvest-com__1_0 abs_logo

Avalanche 1 ♦ PO Box 2298 ♦ Avon, CO ♦ 81620 ♦ ( 970) 390-9433 ♦ Email: duffyww1

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
I don't know if mike is doing a rescue class at erx this yr but deff sounds like u need that one to.
I cant believe u have been going west for 15yrs and never took any class. there a re 2 free a tr in MN from doo .
u have time and money for driving to the hills but not for survival equipment or classes . at minn buy the video to watch on your next 16hr truck ride.
none of your friends want to go to your moms house and explain that the body is to deep and she will have to Waite until may or june to have a funeral.

Premium Features