• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled: A hillclimbing must!

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
I have had the pleasure of running Timbersleds Mtn Tamer rear skid this season and couldn't be happier. However, it wasn't until recently that I really saw what this skid could do. On the trail it is truly amazing, boondocking it is awesome, but put yourself on a big hill and you can really appreciate it. Having a turbo on my sled makes keeping the skis planted a concern. I have flipped sleds over on steep hills before because of this problem, but with the twist of a knob, the Timbersled Mtn Tamer keeps the skis planted. I WILL own this skid on every sled I have from here out and can't thank Allen, and all the people at Timbersled, enough for their great product and top notch customer service. I am also running the front A-arms that have taken several blows to trees and hold up to the pounding. But to prove my point I am attaching photos of two chutes I pulled a few weeks back. One pic from the bottom, and one pic from the top...where you will find another turbo sled stuck because they could not make the pull. I would never have tried this with a stock Polaris skid.

son-2.jpg son-1.jpg

S

Siknytro

Feb 17, 2014
Ft. McMurray Alberta
I have the problem with skis lifting on my Nytro as well... I'm guessing you recommend the Mtn Tamer skid? Is there any other skids that you have tried?

Sent from missing plane.

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
This is the only rear skid I have tried and won't bother with any other. As for the sled stuck in the pic, we spent 45mins building a shelf, turned it around and threw on ski brakes and back down he went. And in regards to the climb, I gave it about 2-3 complete turns in. At 13lbs of boost, she was moving up the hill. Carls Cycle/Boondockers 2863 Tial....and she rocks!!! And the sled is for sale ;)

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Is it the kmod skid itself you like better or the shock package? Is this the complete rear skid or just the upgraded arm?

I will be looking for a rear skid in the next year i think (looking at a turbo) so i am interested. One riding friend has a timbersled and he too says its the best but he has never had anything else other than stock.

In your words, why do you feel the kmod is better?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I've seen it go both ways... Kmod owners going to Timbersled as well.
Seems any comment on one brand thread...inspires other from the other brand to chime in... guess that's human nature.

Especially if those owners have not been on the most recent equipment of both mfgs.Kevin builds nice stuff... and he's a great guy in person.

I 've used the Timbersled suspensions for a while (and, yes... I've paid for them) , and prefer them after riding the different brands... that is my preference.

I'm installing a new Mountain Tamer in my latest project sled in the next couple of weeks... they're on sale now. :face-icon-small-win

J

jonasumb

Nov 27, 2012
Boise/McCall Idaho
Could I ask Mh, How much is the new Mt? And what are the difference between the new and the one you are currently riding?
Is your old skid sold?
Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Last edited:
N

Newby2sleds

Dec 15, 2011
Vancouver BC
I run the Mt Tamer ( Thanks KC!!) and love it. I have never rode a Kmod but know a couple people who run it and they really like it. Pretty much any of them will be a big improvement over stock. The quality is far superior to the stock skid never mind the ride. IMO a lot of sledders dump huge money into their sled and do nothing to the rear skid. It's one place that the manufacturers IMO skimp out. Thanks again to Kcjepperson..... a real stand up guy!!

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
A classic moment from the Elevation series! Awesome, sorry Mr. Oberti.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
TIME MACHINE!!

..............had to............

**fyi its an old clip**

Rick,
Oh Boy... I remember that one... Sled name...Leroy... 2005 900 Custom chassis with an 1140 Carls Big Bore in it... and a first generation Holz Skid... What a handful that sled was. Wicked low end torque.

I think a coupling skid might have saved the day on that one.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Had timbersled and kmod, you're missing out if you don't try the k mod. ;)
I agree completely. I had a mt. Tamer with exits on my last sled ('11 turbo pro) and after spending time on my buddies sled before and after a k-mod with raptors, your doing a massive disservice to yourself to not at least try the k-mod. I was impressed to say the least. I'm trying a skinz ARC this year, but I would not do a mt. Tamer again knowing the other options.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Big timbersled fan here. The quality of the parts its top notch and the ease of use is better than anything out there that is actually proven to work for coupling. I can tell you the timbersled can hold up to the biggest jumps and drops in addition to coupling for the steepest chutes... not sure I can say the same about anything else.
I can also attest to turning the knob in a few turns and having so much more control in the steepest places. Money well spent IMO and I have no plans to ever ride stock skids again. Timbersled + exits = :heart::heart::heart:

But proof is in the pudding, come find me or Matt Entz on the hill and demo it for yourself... just be warned its gonna cost ya! :face-icon-small-coo

I
Nov 26, 2007
I used to think it cost money to advertise on this site. I suppose they are both premium members.

Premium Features