• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015/16 Big Horns N/S Snow conditions

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
Rode last Saturday in 1 to 2 feet of bottomless snow. Worst ride in the horns that I can remember for January. Was cautious even on my snow bike. New snow is what we need but remember there is no base and lots of land mines.

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
I took the family up yesterday and rode the south side again. There is about 20 to 30 inches in the protected areas. Ridge tops are still very bare. There is no base and you go straight to the ground. Stinks to have November snow in January.

image.jpg

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
Going up tomorrow and parking at bear lodge if anyone else has the day off. 1 sled and 1 snow bike

Ryan-41

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Cheyenne, Wyoming
www.myspace.com
I rode today. The snow sucks around Bear Lodge, the further we got to High Country, the better the snow got. We found some good over the hood snow, but absolutely no base, it was just bottomless powder. There are a lot of landmines out there still. We need some new snow really bad.

Knox

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2010
North Dakota
Need some new reports... Bear lodge can't keep up

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Knox

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2010
North Dakota
Potentially might have a cabin available at bear for rent Thursday through Saturday if the snow isn't any good

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

kevpak24

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
MN
My father in law arrived at Elk View this morning...called tonight with update. He said its some of the worse conditions he's seen. A lot of grass showing and no base. We are scheduled to go out next week. He's telling me its not even worth it. I see they are talking upper 30's and lower 40's for temps with no snow in the forecast? Bear Lodge website still says good snow away from the lodges.
We've been going out there long enough and snowmobiled in all extremes from 3 feet of fresh to high winds to 50 degrees and a lake in the parking lot. Bottom line is we've always had fun. Sure beats a day at the office IMO.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
It still hasn't snowed Maby more than four inches this whole month. It's supposed to be sixty degrees at the bottom of the mountain here in a couple days with no cool off in sight. Sucks

There is some alleged snow on the west side if you can get there, if he's there now I would urge him to get to the west to avoid the eastern drought

kevpak24

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
MN
Update

I heard from a group that just got back --- they stayed at Elk View. Not much of anything for a base - had one busted A-arm in the group. Warm temps. Snow seemed to get better as they went west towards high country. A lot of sage brush showing. Very thin around the lodges.

They rode down to meadowlark one day to find it closed. They were able to get gas but no food. Deer Haven has been closed but Meadowlark was open last year. Not sure what the deal is there?

Good news is the trails are in great shape and the even better news is looks like snow in the forecast over the weekend and into next week!

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
So they managed to ride from one side to the other? I was always curious how difficult it would be to ride from the northern big horns to the southern part from a gas perspective. Assuming you don't bring extra fuel would there be much extra fuel in the tank to take a couple detours?

kevpak24

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
MN
North to South

So they managed to ride from one side to the other? I was always curious how difficult it would be to ride from the northern big horns to the southern part from a gas perspective. Assuming you don't bring extra fuel would there be much extra fuel in the tank to take a couple detours?

Yes we try and make the run at least once a trip, weather pending. It is about 70-75 miles one way. One year we had just over 200 miles on round trip, so had roughly 60 miles in "detours." If I remember we had one 2.5 gas can for 3 sleds and mad it no problem. Its a fun ride especially if its clear sunny day, and if you don't mind putting on the miles.

Knox

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2010
North Dakota
Just got back yesterday... been riding the horns for the many years and I have never seen it this poor. The conditions will not improve until they get atleast another 2ft. Rode high country first day and definitely more snow there then anywhere else, everything is tracked up bad and hard snow. Had another group go south and said snow was better there than high country.

N

North Star

Jan 1, 2008
SW Minnesota
Just coming down the hill. Snowing like crazy. Been up since Friday night. Rode up towards high Country every day... did manage to find snow yesterday and today. White out conditions bad light. 10 inches this morning. If up there now and it clears off next couple days should have real good riding. Better than work. Now 12 hour drive home.

Last edited:
B

brum24

Oct 25, 2010
does anyone have a report on the southern side of the big horns near ten sleep thinking of heading that way Thursday for a quick trip. worth the trip or not?

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
does anyone have a report on the southern side of the big horns near ten sleep thinking of heading that way Thursday for a quick trip. worth the trip or not?
Meadowlark ski lodge is reporting 2 feet, per a post on fb this morning. Not sure whether to believe it or not. Snotel at the pass only went up a few inches...
If I get my bike together, might try to go up thursday also

Premium Features