• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro cuts out when it decelerates

A
Mar 14, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
I'm looking for ideas on where to start troubleshooting a Pro issue. 2011 800 Pro.

While driving on-throttle, any decent amount of deceleration causes the motor to cut/kill/bog. It acts almost like the kill switch is pressed. Sometimes the motor totally dies, sometimes it just bogs down to idle and has to be powered off, then started before it will rev up. Sometimes accompanied by the CEL.

Some examples:
-driving on a patchy snow/mud trail - it will cut on some of the muddy patches where the skis grab
-in the hills, hitting sharp ditch (i.e. instant downhill to uphill transition)

Some ideas I've had:
-knock sensor being triggered
-throttle cable extension / TSS

Last edited:
R
Mar 21, 2014
Niagara Falls, NY
I found the same thing happening to me! I thought it had something to do with fueling issues or clutching on my big bore. Sled runs awesome off trail (never had it happen) but when cruising on the trail at higher rpm's then letting off the flipper the sled goes into det. mode and shuts down (has happened three times, one time when hitting some slushy snow). It will start back up but smoke like crazy for a little bit after.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
..sometimes it just bogs down to idle and has to be powered off, then started before it will rev up. Sometimes accompanied by the CEL.

If you get a CEL, you have an error code available in the display. Likely there are still codes in the EPEM. That's the easiest way to start without chasing ghosts. For those with issues, provide the year, confirm they are 8s. If you want to do it yourself, I'd start checking wiring carefully for bares, starting at the kill switch and TSS. Do you have a tether?

Smoke at startup for the second poster sounds like it's still fueling at the throttle position when it suddenly loses ignition.

Last edited:
R
Mar 21, 2014
Niagara Falls, NY
Mine is a 15 Pro with a rk tek 858 big bore! Like I said before the sled will run like a top off trail but on a lake or trail it will cut out sometimes and shut down when cruising at higher rpms then show a det code. It will start right back up after some pulls but smoke heavily for a minute or so.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
I had a 13 with a 858 and it did not like running on trails either, would throw det codes too, and it was hard to start then. It was very temperature sensitive and I found it worked better with the thermostat removed, less DET anyway. I did go to some lower compression domes and that seemed to help as well, cut from 14.1 down to around 13, but I ride at higher elevations generally.

R
Mar 21, 2014
Niagara Falls, NY
I talked to Jeremy at Supreme Powersports today about this issue. He told me he has seen two 15's with bad fuel pumps that only would have issues on the trail also. I'll be taking the sled back to the dealer to have it put on the digital wrench to see what the stored codes say. When I'm off trail I have zero issues with detonation.

N

northstarrick

Feb 4, 2012
it's water temp. what temp are these running on the trail? you need to keep temps in the 120-135 range. do a ski-doo t-stat instead of just pulling the t-stat out. you could cold shock your motor this way.

Premium Features