• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do the carbon fiber rear bumpers on PRO RMK break?

COP-OUT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
LEWISTOWN,MONTANA
Derek, you are young. At 36. Try all this new stuff at 66 and them you'll realize how it is to get a little older.
ron

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Lol yes I am fairly young but with a messed up back I sure don't feel it all the time.

I will be very happy if I am still able to sled in the mountains in my 60 ' s. My uncle is still going in his mid- 50's so I am hopeful :)

R
Apr 16, 2012
canada
I snapped mine within a month of having my 13 pro. They are junk, been using that feethookers rear bumper ever since. Direct fit no rivets or modifications required and it has been holding up since december 2012 and my sled rides the bumper a lot lol

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
WTF are you guys doing with your rear bumpers? Who would hold a sled up in the air with a strap in the middle of the bumper? Two Pro's and I haven't destroyed mine yet. I think they are flimsy but they are intended to be used to get unstuck and be light weight. I use two hands and often pick the back of the sled up. I have NO DOUBT that they will break but I haven't seen it yet. I figure when they do I'll replace with one of the options like Meathooker or insert styles.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I have seen more rear bumpers broken from idiot friends crashing in from behind than should be allowed. It happens in all unthinkable ways lol.

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
I broke my 11 bumper on the first ride by tailwalking in too little of snow. Rocks equal broken bumper. I bought the holz aluminum bar and have yet to break it. I have gone through 4 of the stock cast aluminum brackets though. At $20 a pop its cheaper than a totaled sled because the tunnel bent.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Ya I have no doubt it can break, whether I will break it with my riding style is yet to be seen.

Also being full aluminum I can have it repaired easily enough, we have some good aluminum tig welders at work who are happy to make an extra buck.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
BILTIT

Lol yes I am fairly young but with a messed up back I sure don't feel it all the time.

I will be very happy if I am still able to sled in the mountains in my 60 ' s. My uncle is still going in his mid- 50's so I am hopeful :)
It all comes down to staying busy, and having the right attitude.
Hey I can sit at the bottom of the hill and watch everyone get stuck while I drink Gatorade, and eat a baloney sandwich with the best of them.
Have had 4 Pro's. One out of four broke. The grip of the bumper is my biggest complaint. Slippery!
:second:

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Yup, attitude can change the world lol (well my world anyways).

Maybe try some grip tape on the stock bumper like i did on the extreme?

I agree, That is a big part of the problem with the stock rear bumper besides breaking.

D

Drifter

Dec 16, 2007
Have towed a sleigh with mine and a couple sleds out of the hills and have not broken the bumper. Not sure what you guys do with yours.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Broke one on a 11 pro first year it was out. Blew in the middle yanking on it during a stuck, very cold day. Must have been the operator. Maybe the skid was just full of snow ;). Could have been cracked first, of course. Replaced with aluminum (end caps are different, FYI, if you don't know, carbon caps don't like the aluminum tubes).

If you have carbon, run it till it breaks. Then don't replace it with carbon. Carbon shards can be sharp, FWIW. Don't litter...

C
Nov 29, 2008
Broke one on a 11 pro first year it was out. Blew in the middle yanking on it during a stuck, very cold day. Must have been the operator. Maybe the skid was just full of snow ;). Could have been cracked first, of course. Replaced with aluminum (end caps are different, FYI, if you don't know, carbon caps don't like the aluminum tubes).

If you have carbon, run it till it breaks. Then don't replace it with carbon. Carbon shards can be sharp, FWIW. Don't litter...

X'2 nothing worse than stopping where someone has blown a belt and then leaves the shredded remains behind ....

As for busting my cf bumper I have a clip in the end to hold the snow bungie and was riding in the trees when it got snagged and broke the cast aluminum bracket and cf tube.

Premium Features