• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wife's first time in the mountains on a sled!

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
My wife has decided she wants to learn to ride in the mountains and enjoy it with me. I am pretty excited about it. Have been going to Cooke city for years as well as other locations but am thinking the big horns may be a perfect place for her to start her mountain experience. Wondering about good places to stay as well as snow conditions. We have all the safety and Avalanche gear as well as training. Interested in getting her in to rolling hills, bowls, and not as extreme areas. Want to push her but not overwhelm her. What do you guys think? Any opinions would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Definitely the horns. Can't beat the amenities and great terrain for learning.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

HOOTS

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
S.W MN
Horns for sure. Have a good trail system with big play areas just off trail so she can dive in and then get back on trail for a break. Great lodging and destination stops.

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
What's some suggested places to stay. Ride in ride out is good but am willing to trailer as well. Don't need anything fancy. Bed shower and a good quality bar and grill is more than enough. Appreciate places supportive of sledding and who give it a member of the family feel. Mom and pop places that are thankful for our business.

Last edited:

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Sure, you are excited. All things new are like that. After a few trips and a sore back, you will get over it. JK :face-icon-small-ton

That is great.

I stopped in Bear Lodge a year ago. Seemed like a really nice place which you can stay at and ride from. I was enroute to Billings and the snow wasn't good enough last year in Jan to justify the drive back to Bear for a few hours worth of riding but if I ever make it back that way this place is on my radar.

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
Been thinking about the elk view inn. Believe it is on the north end where there is more snow. Looks like a decent place and doesn't seem overly expensive.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Been thinking about the elk view inn. Believe it is on the north end where there is more snow. Looks like a decent place and doesn't seem overly expensive.

Elk view in is actually south of bear lodge, arrowhead lodge is even farther south then elk view. Only lodge farther north than beat lodge is high country lodge.... I think most people that ride into high country lodge come up on the Lovell side.

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
we've stayed at all three of them. bear, elk view, and arrow head. I believe that the same guy owns all of them. my vote would be elk view the motel is newer and the lodge is nice. if u want you can ride over to bear I think its only a couple of miles they seem to have a little more night life at bear

Snow4life

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2012
Aberdeen, South Dakota
Yea one owner between elk view, arrow head, and bear lodge. Elk view gets is the nicer of the 3 in my opinion. We stay down in Sheridan quite a bit, it's about an hour drive up the mountain.

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
Thanks fellas. Is there any advantage to staying in town either Sheridan or Lovell? Just worry about leaving my rig sit unattended in a public area.

B

benjfire

Oct 2, 2014
Heard High Country is really nice and they have the most snow right now.

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
Thanks fellas. Is there any advantage to staying in town either Sheridan or Lovell? Just worry about leaving my rig sit unattended in a public area.

Sheridan has a lot more to offer than Lovell. Sheridan has many hotels and places to dine. We have stayed in Sheridan and trailered every day. The upside is dining and lodging is inexpensive the downside is a couple hours loading, unloading, and travel time everyday. High Country you have to park and pack everything in on your sled a couple miles but its a cool place. The other 3 are the most convenient and I prefer to stay at them. Elk, Arrowhead, or Bear.

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
I packed in to Cooke city for years so that doesn't really bother. Big horns is my destination of choice for the wife's first trip but the snow reports I'm receiving don't sound too good. We wait each and see I guess. What are some good ways to check current conditions and forecasts besides snowest?

wycouple

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2008
casper wy.
snowies

i would try the snowies ,snow kind of sucks in the big horns so far this year, lots of trails and off trail riding area's my opinion great place to start mtn riding , first place my wife ever rode in the mtn's ,(1995) went there for our 25 wedding anniversary (2001),wife's not a big fan of steep and deep mainly because it' her and I most of the time, love to play in the powder though and there is usually plenty of it now we live in Wyoming and the snowies is still our favorite place to ride

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
High Country and Bear post on Facebook some. Also guest often post pics on their Facebook page with updates. The Bighorns haven't gotten the snow this year that we have seen in the past. We are heading to West Yellowstone and Island Park in 2 weeks. We usually go to the Bighorns that week but decided to head further west.

Premium Features