• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where to buy TPS tester?

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Hope this isn't too far off topic but was does the dealer use? Digital Wrench?

One thing they found on mine is the TPS is out of adjustment a lot. Even after one weekend. Ideas?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
The dealer uses digital wrench because its easy and "close enough" and they dont really care.

I personally use a Fluke meter, power up the ECM, back probe the terminals at the ECM with fluke probes and set the TPS. No damage to the weather pack seal and its 100% accurate.

This setting has a big influence in the way your sled performs and needs to be set correct. Eric

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I just had a guy that I had been talking to in Canada about his tps send me a note. He was concerned because the pigtail I sent him was not showing exactly 5.0v. I asked him if he had a good multimeter. He said it was fresh out of the box...

I told him I use a fluke, because of their accuracy.

I guess he set his tps with the out of the box meter and the sleds ran like crap. So, he barrows a buddy's fluke, tested my pigtail (4.99v) and reset his tps. Turns out it runs great now!

Beg, barrow or steel a good meter. It makes all the difference in the end! Especially on the CFI sleds. Older carbs not a problem.

If you own one of my pigtails, please check it for accuracy! 5.000 is not very achievable, but 4.998-5.003 is!

I bought and tested 6 regulators from Radio shack but could not find one that was accurate enough so finally gave up and I bought one of your units. It was right on 5.000 volts measured with my Agilent meter which has an accuracy of 0.09%. Even with shipping to Canada and the terrible exchange rate we Canadians are stuck with I am happy to have bought your unit. You must have a good supplier of voltage regulators or you go through a ton of them to get such accuracy.

Tonka1020

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
Meeker
5v regulators

Lets just say, I can make you a good deal on regulators that DON'T meet my spec! Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you like it.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
The dealer uses digital wrench because its easy and "close enough" and they dont really care.

I personally use a Fluke meter, power up the ECM, back probe the terminals at the ECM with fluke probes and set the TPS. No damage to the weather pack seal and its 100% accurate.

This setting has a big influence in the way your sled performs and needs to be set correct. Eric

I like where you headed with this. Is there instructions on how to do this somewhere?

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
He posted the basic process on page 1 or 2 of this post.

Heres the entire process that I follow on my '12. Not sure if wiring is different on the 13-15, as far as pin location on the ecu plug etc...

1. Unkook throttle cable from thumb lever
2. Fully charged 12v battery
3. + to Orange wire, - to brown wire (on ecu power up plug, located above primary clutch)
4. Test red with white stripe wire for 5.0v reference voltage. I test mine at an 4 pin plug, that us unused, and hangs just above my mag cylinder. Should be dang near 5.0v dead nuts. Mine reads 5.01v
5. Use high quality multi-meter for this! Most of us prefer Fluke. Ive had same results with a Fluke 73, Fluke 88, and an unknown Blue Point i have.
6. Back probe pin #7 on the smaller ecu plug. In a bind i use a paperclip that i hammer and sharpen one end into a sharp fine point. Slide this in carefully, youre looking to make contact with the wire coupler. And youre testing for voltage output from that contact. This voltage should change as you move throttle linkage. Check it, make sure you have a good contact.
7. At this point, you should see voltage around .940v range (ideally). Thats your "idle voltage". .930-.950 is the rec spec i believe.

8. Locate the idle adjustment bolt. It is an internal allen head screw, with a 8mm lock nut. Located on the mag side of throttle bodies. Back this off til its not pushing the throttle linkage at all. Rotate throttle a couple times, and release it, allowing throttle linkage to fully close on its own.
9. Check voltage at pin #7 again. This is your BASE setting, and should be between .690-.710v (i believe thats spec)
10. That base setting is the CRITICAL part!! Adjust actual TPS as needed to achieve that. (Phillips locking screws on TPS, on far pto side of throttle body assemb.).
11. Pull, release throttle linkage again, allow to return, triple check this base setting!
12. Use idle adjust screw to open the throttle linkage until the voltage now reads the .930-.950 idle spec. Lock in place, and double check!
13. Reassemble, check operation, and punish sled on snow!

I think thats it, did i miss anything anyone? I will double check those voltage specs, and edit, or repost.

This, all assuming the TPS itself, is 100% and not screwed up. That requires another test, with a good analog meter for checking potentiometer function. Which should also be done! Tonkas tool works great for both of these, or you can test straight on the TPS, or backprobe the ecu.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Received Tonka1020's 2014+ Inline TPS tester Friday. This tester requires an ECU power up cable and 12V battery as you can use the sled's electrical system to regulate the voltage as it does during normal operation. Also, this tester can be left on the sled. Today, I went to recheck my TPS, but suspect my DMM is not up to the task, I do have a nice Fluke on the way. So, I'll go through the "base setting" setup then.

Red wire will show sensor power: 5.0 VDC
Black wire is the sensor ground
Green is sensor signal to the ECM

Anyway, here's some pics of the tester and installed on my sled.

Installed for testing.

Thanks Troy for making these.

Last edited:

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
My dealer installed new throttle bodies complete with new TPS on my 2012 and my sled never ran better. Used to get a slight stumble or cut out in the upper midrange. Problem solved. They set it and tested it with the digital wrench and double checked with the fluke meter and got the same reading. I'm good to go now.

R
Nov 27, 2007
N Wis
Just ordered a TPS Tester from Tonka1020 for my 2014 800 Pro R Rush

I have located the triangular style plugs that will fit the newer sleds! I will have them built shortly. Let me know if you are interested in them! They will be built to the same specs as the other versions I have!

In addition to that. I have 2 different styles. I have a pass-thought style, for both the triangular plug and the flat 3 pin. I would recommend this pigtail to anyone that is going to power up their ECM and use it to calibrate their TPS. The other style has it's own 5v regulator. It will work VERY well for the guy that wants to set up is throttle body before it's installed in the sled. All you need is a 9v battery.

I Just ordered a TPS Tester from Tonka1020 for my 2014 800 Pro R Rush on Ebay for only $42.50, free shipping!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271788580935

Polaris TPS tester with Triangular Plug
2014 and newer Polaris RMK & many other Ranger/RZR
Photos & all posts indicate a high quality product, should be very easy to use...

R
Nov 27, 2007
N Wis
I have located the triangular style plugs that will fit the newer sleds! I will have them built shortly. Let me know if you are interested in them! They will be built to the same specs as the other versions I have!

In addition to that. I have 2 different styles. I have a pass-thought style, for both the triangular plug and the flat 3 pin. I would recommend this pigtail to anyone that is going to power up their ECM and use it to calibrate their TPS. The other style has it's own 5v regulator. It will work VERY well for the guy that wants to set up is throttle body before it's installed in the sled. All you need is a 9v battery.

Tonka1020 do you make a ECU power up cable similar to what SLP sells for approx. $30+ approx.$20 shipping???
http://slp.cc/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=3&catID=24&productID=1782
This Power-Up Cable is used with an external 12 volt battery to provide power to the ECU and Fuel Pump of the CFI system. This makes it possible to check and adjust the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) alignment between the Power Commander and the stock ECU without the engine running.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Tonka1020 do you make a ECU power up cable similar to what SLP sells for approx. $30+ approx.$20 shipping???
http://slp.cc/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=3&catID=24&productID=1782
This Power-Up Cable is used with an external 12 volt battery to provide power to the ECU and Fuel Pump of the CFI system. This makes it possible to check and adjust the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) alignment between the Power Commander and the stock ECU without the engine running.

He makes a power up cord.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Can anyone post a link of the setup I would need to test a 2013 800 pro? Also. What's everyone using for a multimeter? I Don't mind spending a couple hundred dollars to get one. But not $250+ dollars.

Tonka1020

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
Meeker
I am building the powerup cables now. They work on everything through the 2016 models. And it won't cost $20 to ship it!

I'll start working on incorporating the fuel pump plug next.

That combined with the pass through style tps plug seems to be the best way to tune and diagnose your tps.

And snowmow, I use a $250 fluke meter. They are solid and dependable. The Wal-Mart cheap-o's are pretty much a test light with numbers.. They trek you when you have power and the polarity, but not so good for accuracy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I am building the powerup cables now. They work on everything through the 2016 models. And it won't cost $20 to ship it!

I'll start working on incorporating the fuel pump plug next.

That combined with the pass through style tps plug seems to be the best way to tune and diagnose your tps.

And snowmow, I use a $250 fluke meter. They are solid and dependable. The Wal-Mart cheap-o's are pretty much a test light with numbers.. They trek you when you have power and the polarity, but not so good for accuracy!

Do you offer plug to test a 2013?

What model is your fluke?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I use a very low use Fluke model 87 I picked up on EBay for a little over $100. Most are more, but if you're not in a hurry you can score a good deal from someone who only used it a couple times.

Tonka1020

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
Meeker
I have tps plugs for 1999 and up!

I can't remember my exact model of fluke, it's out in the shop!

A fluke 17B is a very comparable model to mine. Mine is a little older. Looks like they are selling for around $120. Get one with a case and protect it from drops and water and it will last forever (well, a long time!)

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I have tps plugs for 1999 and up!

I can't remember my exact model of fluke, it's out in the shop!

A fluke 17B is a very comparable model to mine. Mine is a little older. Looks like they are selling for around $120. Get one with a case and protect it from drops and water and it will last forever (well, a long time!)

Can you please PM me a link of where to buy your tester. And a power up cable if i need one. Thanks.

Premium Features