• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Attention mountainhorse...and other diy writeup gurus

G

gdhillon

Nov 29, 2012
Prince George BC
I have looked in my owners/repair manual and am still unsure of how to check/tighten the track. I'd like to loosen it off for storage and be able to tighten her up next season. Do you guys have diys somewhere on here that you can link me too?

And besides pouring some fogging oil down the cylinders, and jacking up the front and rear of the sled what do you guys do to store pros?

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
Loosen rear axle bolts, and then loosen the tensioner bolts that run parallel to the rails on the inside right in front of the rear axle. Reverse process to tighten except back off the jam nuts and tighten them once you set the tension, and make sure the rear axle is even on both sides.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Modern fibers in the track don't drive the need to be loosened anymore. Wasn't the case 20, 30 years ago.

Next most important thing is to service the skid. Pro Ride skids easily hold water, don't hold grease, and have a absence of bushings. Best case is tearing it out and servicing each shaft and rod. At least push ample grease through them, and squeeze out as much water as possible. Grease them every other ride, too. Good time to check idlers for worn out bearings, too.

I also grease the PTO driveshaft and jackshaft bearings by inserting a needle fitting in the bearing service points, but that's me, most don't. You have to pull the bearing retainers to do this. I still fog the motor, since I change fuel filters every fall anyways, and just don't reassemble until I put the filter in. Fill the tank with non-ethanol fuel and a fuel stabilizer for storage. Then drain the tank in the fall and fill again with fresh. WD40 is your friend, also, except on the clutches - displaces moisture.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I make a list of what I want to do to the sled the next fall and leave on the sled somewhere. Once fall comes, I know if I need to pull bearings/skid to grease, replace what might be broken or new items to look for at the snow show. With 4 sleds and age creeping in, I find a list for each machine is easier than trying to remember what I did or did not do before snow flies.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Hang it on the wall.
b8579bb658ccc7260a8ff336181c2b41.jpg

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
throw a 2x4 under the track so no weight on the lugs and call it good. Most years I dont even get them fogged. my sleds get more attention pre-season then they do post-season. Eric

Premium Features