• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FROM A DEAD STOP!

cb2honk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Western iowa
Does anyone have any video footage of a turbo pro going from idle at a dead stop to wide open? All I can find on youtube is a lot of footage displaying on/off throttle response. We all know these things are easy to tune at full throttle and most of the kits are better at on/off throttle repeatedly now. I want to see footage at elevation (8k-12k) of a turbo pro nailing the throttle off of idle. The kit's I'm really interested in are silber, bd, and hm. Let's see what you guys got.

cb2honk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Western iowa
That is what I am looking for, but not really the results I was hoping for. Not terrible, but not as good as I was hoping it would be. Do you have any clips from the newer kits?

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Inherently there will be a LITTLE lag, just the nature of the beast. Superchargers, not so much...

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
This always gives me a chuckle. How many times do you, from a dead idle, go WOT while you are riding? If it's more than zero times, you are riding wrong! It's hard on belts, clutches, springs, chains, bearings, motor, pretty much everything and is completely pointless. Even if you are drag racing you should be in the throttle at engagement rpm with a finger on the brake... I would be much more interested in how a turbo sled reacts to a REAL WORLD situation like a sidehill in trees when you go from WOT to chopped to WOT to chopped etc. Most turbo riders realize even that isn't the greatest scenario and will ride the brake slightly to keep the turbo spooled at all times without completely chopping the throttle. Anyway, thanks for the chuckle, rant over.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I can't say I've used the "thumb off" to "to the bar" technique before.

I won't say "never" but....

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
After getting stuck in a bad spot I go from idle to full throttle quite a bit. My turbo definitely struggles with this. Not a bog, more of a hesitation, and I wouldn't simply call it lag. My sled is a Dobeck controlled, big turbo Cat. I'm going to try a Boost It XIC this season and hopefully it helps. Another situation many turbos struggle with is coming down a steep hill on the brakes and then going to wot. Try launching off a big pillow coming downhill and most turbos bog bad. I don't see many of these situations on video either.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Or when u come up on a creek that u need instantaneous front lift and nothing happens for a second... Then bam into the creek bed lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cb2honk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Western iowa
This always gives me a chuckle. How many times do you, from a dead idle, go WOT while you are riding? If it's more than zero times, you are riding wrong! It's hard on belts, clutches, springs, chains, bearings, motor, pretty much everything and is completely pointless. Even if you are drag racing you should be in the throttle at engagement rpm with a finger on the brake... I would be much more interested in how a turbo sled reacts to a REAL WORLD situation like a sidehill in trees when you go from WOT to chopped to WOT to chopped etc. Most turbo riders realize even that isn't the greatest scenario and will ride the brake slightly to keep the turbo spooled at all times without completely chopping the throttle. Anyway, thanks for the chuckle, rant over.

Just love posts that add absolutely no value to a thread, and try to insight a pi$$ing match. Nothing value added to say pertaining to the thread, then don't post anything, pretty simple. :hail:

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
That post was directly related to this thread, and was clearly trying to help you understand the pointlessness of going from an IDLE to WOT. If you are like Indeep here and think that when you are stuck that going from an IDLE to WOT will somehow help you get unstuck, well then I can't help you and I'm sorry you missed the point.

All turbos will have a hesitation if you decide that from a dead stop the best way to get moving is to bash the throttle from idle. It's just physics. You can't overcome simple math.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Oh I love the no thumb to bar method. It helps me hand out punishment to a buddy that just pulled up right behind you after doing some stupid or being a smart Azz. Putting a 30-40 year old in time out does not work very well. A nicely placed rooster to the hood that goes directly to their face on the other hand works nicely.

Sometimes I will give the offender a slight squeeze of the throttle as a warning shot. Serious offenders, throttle straight to the bars works best.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Just love posts that add absolutely no value to a thread, and try to insight a pi$$ing match. Nothing value added to say pertaining to the thread, then don't post anything, pretty simple. :hail:

Your not one of those guys that complains that their sled trenches too much from a dead stop are you? I would suggest that maybe a turbo sled is not for you. Hobbes has been around mod sleds probably longer than you have been riding so you might want to digest what he has written.

cb2honk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Western iowa
blah blah blah! You guys hilarious! THE GREAT KNOW ALLS OF TURBO SLEDS AND RIDING TECHNIQUE! Like a bunch of roid freaks at a gym flexing in the mirror, but you're using a keyboard!

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007

blah blah blah! You guys hilarious! THE GREAT KNOW ALLS OF TURBO SLEDS AND RIDING TECHNIQUE! Like a bunch of roid freaks at a gym flexing in the mirror, but you're using a keyboard!

Pot, kettle. Have a great winter buddy. Make sure to get into that gym and be sure to work that throttle thumb hard, sounds like you're gonna need it!

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
I think it would be best to come ride one of mine to see if it will work for you. If I line it up with a stock sled the stocker is not quicker out of the hole. Honestly idle to WFO is one of the hardest parts to get dialed and we are very proud of ours. I wonder why there isn't any other videos besides our??

V
Nov 23, 2015
If you look closely though you can see he is riding the brake. This way you can keep the turbo spooled.. Maybe if you put a pro charger on a sled it would instaboost? Laws of physics

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT

If I am trying to set the sled and not really go anywhere I do it for a split second and then hit the brake. That's the only time I do it. That is where any lag really sucks. That is where my buddy's supercharger is the bomb.

Premium Features