• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Weird noises in clutch area in deep snow while using reverse

F
Oct 19, 2011
2012 SBA. Brand new primary, new belt, RMK Secondary spring and helix. When in deep snow while backing up, sled will go a distance then I hear a grinding noise comming from the clutch area. It's hard to explain the noise, but the sled won't continue to move at this point. Only seems to do it when under a load, on trail or hard pack it's fine. Anyone know what this could be??? It did this with my original primary too.

Last edited:

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
No, it's like somethings hanging up in the clutches. It doesn't allow the track to keep spinning.
I dont think the sled is meant to drive in reverse in deep snow. Its not meant to hold much load in reverse. Could be why you just invested in a new clutch?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I would also be inclined to think its ice on the drivers.

When ice builds up on the bulkhead and drivers it will jam up the track and keep track from spinning. Makes a horrible grinding noise.

Because there is a reverse notch, the track won't get enough power to break free. When you put it back in forward it will power through ice build up.

P
Mar 23, 2013
Choiceland sask
Pretty sure it's why they use ridiculously high spring weights is because of reverse. It's so the belt doesn't get buried in the bottom of the secondary. With deep snow it might be too much load to keep it from pulling down in the clutches and the belt is jumping and slipping. We thought my buddies rmk was hoored and we pulled the side panel off and that's what we had found was belt buried in the secondary.

F
Oct 19, 2011
Pretty sure it's why they use ridiculously high spring weights is because of reverse. It's so the belt doesn't get buried in the bottom of the secondary. With deep snow it might be too much load to keep it from pulling down in the clutches and the belt is jumping and slipping. We thought my buddies rmk was hoored and we pulled the side panel off and that's what we had found was belt buried in the secondary.

Thank you, that is an excellent explanation!

Premium Features